Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
I'm wanting to change the look of my 87 slab side 750. So I've thought about a ducati 916 tail, but I don't want to modify my sub-frame.
Does anyone have any pics of an un-modded sub-frame with non stock bodywork?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
No pics that will help but that's '93 bodywork on my '92 in the sig. It wasn't a problem to mount. I only had to bend a few pieces of aluminum flat stock to make brackets. I just made shapes to go from bolt holes that are already on the subframe to the ones on the bodywork.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Rbike:
No pics that will help but that's '93 bodywork on my '92 in the sig. It wasn't a problem to mount. I only had to bend a few pieces of aluminum flat stock to make brackets. I just made shapes to go from bolt holes that are already on the subframe to the ones on the bodywork.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The subframe on older pre '88 models is a lot shallower, so I'm not sure how different bodywork would look.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Those tails look great on air/oil gixxers!
I've been thinking of that mod for a while, using a monoposto. Post some pic's when your done, I bet a lot of these guys will start thinking about it.

[ 05-10-2002, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: 88/750 ]

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Last year there was a post of a bike there in the UK for sale...It was an 87ish 1100 with a 916/996 tail. It was well done and look okay...if you like that look.

Unfortunately there was no info on the actual mounting. If there is room, there should be no reason you couldn't make your own brackets from steel or alloy. You just have to give it a shot.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
here's a few other modded tails

an 86 1100 from sweden

an 86 1100 from indonesia

an 86 7/11 from the UK

an 86 750 from the netherlands

an 87 1100 from germany

an 87 1100 from france

an 87 7/11 from Denmark

an 87 750 from the UK

·
Registered
219 Posts
Originally posted by 750hUK:
OK which should I go for?

opinions please
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That lower Duc, without a doubt.

(I think that even though it's a little dated now, it's still the best looking tail. I think the only one that even comes close is the new R1 tail with the wide/narrow LED)
And Simon Ortman, those are some great pic's!

[ 05-11-2002, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: 88/750 ]

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Perception of shape and style is to each person's taste...or lack of.

I like the shape of an 89 750RK or a Kawi ZX-7RR or an RC-30 or RC-45

I don't care for the new VFR, R1/6, and the new gixxer even is fading from my favor...

IF you like the aesthetics of the angles on the 916 tail as it blends with the old skool front end and frame...do it.

If you think the larger proportion of the 96-99 gixxer tail balances with the bulk of the front end heavy original gixxer...do it.

Just think it through and don't cobble it please

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
By all means pic the one you like. I have a 91 tail on my 88 now and am getting ready to switch to a 2002 tail with R6 LED taillights. But I agree with Simon just do it right do not cobble it togeather. While I may not like the tail I can apreceate the work that you've done but if the install is bad it makes the rest of your bike look bad.
Bones

·
Registered
171 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
I might be way off on this, but from looking at those pic's (indonesia 1100, green wheeled UK 750), I bet all you need to do is make some brackets for it and the tail lights, and lose the "grab rail".
I doubt you have to "cut up" your sub frame, but it looks a little cleaner like that (Lucky Strike).

[ 05-12-2002, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: 88/750 ]

·
Registered
171 Posts
Stand works, my stand is being used by a buddy, needed to have the bike level for fitting the upper and decals.

David

·
3,476 Posts
Posted by Simon:
Perception of shape and style is to each person's taste...or lack of.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Eh, you talk'in bout me?
Alright...some of them look pretty damn cool.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts