Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First post as I literally bought my 2014 600 L4 bike 3 weeks ago. Everything has been going swell, covered nearly 900 miles and had an amazing time.

Today, I got back from a ride that I had debated going onpulled up at the garage slightly different to normal and didn’t turn my wheel into the stand. Got off and 5 seconds later the bike was falling. Still don’t know what happened but it must have rolled slightly.

Anyway, some people get away with it and I apparently have not. Pictures attached, but I basically don’t know what to do. I have a good tool set but there’s no way I’m removing the alternator cover (I think?). Basically I’m looking for some help with my options and potential costs.

Thanks,
Alex

·
Super Moderator
15,066 Posts
Black touch up paint on the exposed metal If it bothers you. Buy a new clutch lever and then have fun riding it.

My .02
I totally agree with this and by the way, welcome to the club because most of us who've been doing this long enough have all dropped a bike like that at one time or another. Shit happens.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,946 Posts
Wheel direction shouldn't matter. Was the bike on a level surface? Only time I've seen something like this is when the kickstand isn't all the way down, or the bike is pointed downhill and overcomes the stand.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was outside my garage, and if it was an incline it would be hard to detect. I just wasn't careful enough.

I am in the process of ordering parts. Got some black ASV short levers (Seemed a good excuse), a bolt and spacer for the damaged fairing as they were bent and some R&G bar ends and cotton reels.

It's just what to do for the crankcase cover and fairing. Might just sharpie the crank case cover? Unless you can recommend a good paint? (I live in the UK). As for the faring ... sigh .... can I also get a paint for this? and is there a way to soften the damage?

My final worry is that the kickstand Is bent, I just can't tell.

Lots of questions, thanks for your responses! I'm just starting to get over the shock.

Cheers,
Alex

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,946 Posts
Really doubt the kickstand is bent. I'm not sure about international ordering, but a touch up pen from colorrite.com is what I would recommend.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I hate Suzuki's kickstands. They barely swing past 90 degrees and the slightest amount of pressure will "unlock" them. Besides the angle, they also just seem to have a simple pivot. Most manufacturers use a mechanism that locks if if there is weight on it.

My driveway has a slope and I have to very cautious where I place the bike. No big deal if you have it in gear, but when you want it running you better stand beside it. I have caught it more than once trying to warm it up before a ride.

The engine covers are typically easy to replace and are not real expensive. Make sure you buy a gasket as well. Use thread locker on the stator bolts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am not sure about bent but that kickstand should be past center and not towards the back of the bike. That is for sure an issue that's not helping you out any. Make sure there isn't anything preventing it from going further forward.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Try and get some 'frame sliders' too. Helps protect in 'drops' like this for sure.

If that's the worst for a long while, you're doing great.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dropped my bike twice in the first three weeks of owning it. 🤭 fucker is pretty heavy when it gets past a certain point lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts