Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased my first bike and the place I bought it told me I had a new chain and that I should throw some chain lube on there but after downloading the service manual from

http://www.servicemanualsgsxr.com/

it says on there that I should NOT use drive chain oil, but instead use heavy motor oil.

Who do I listen to?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Wow, weird that is says that. They musta copied and pasted that part from the old GS1100 manuals :biggrin.

A good brand of spray chain lube is all you need to use.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you guys for the advice. Judging on everyone giving me a different answer, it seems like it's more of a preference thing as long as I'm not using the motor oil, right?

Oh, and the reason it said not to use commercial chain lube, is because it can damage the o rings.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thank you guys for the advice. Judging on everyone giving me a different answer, it seems like it's more of a preference thing as long as I'm not using the motor oil, right?

Oh, and the reason it said not to use commercial chain lube, is because it can damage the o rings.

The chain lube/wax for modern o-ring/x-ring chains is only to protect the chain from rusting and to keep the o-rings lubed and from drying out. Just about any type of modern chain lube/wax is up to the job so in a way it is more preference than anything else. I do prefer a wax vs. lube for chains as it is heavier and tends to not wash off as easily. My personal preference is Amsoil HD metal protector. Regular cleaning and maintenance is just as important if not more so IMHO.

As far as the manual goes, I noticed that too. I think that info was dated even in 2005 when the manual was written. I may be wrong, but I would disregard that statement as modern chain lubes/waxes are designed specifically for the o-rings.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The chain lube/wax for modern o-ring/x-ring chains is only to protect the chain from rusting and to keep the o-rings lubed and from drying out. Just about any type of modern chain lube/wax is up to the job so in a way it is more preference than anything else. I do prefer a wax vs. lube for chains as it is heavier and tends to not wash off as easily. My personal preference is Amsoil HD metal protector. Regular cleaning and maintenance is just as important if not more so IMHO.

As far as the manual goes, I noticed that too. I think that info was dated even in 2005 when the manual was written. I may be wrong, but I would disregard that statement as modern chain lubes/waxes are designed specifically for the o-rings.
Ok, I could see that. The DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Dry Wax Lubricant seemed like a good inexpensive choice. They carry it at the local Lowes and it's only ~$5. The only thing is that it's a spray so I don't know if it makes a difference. I just saw your AMSoil is a spray so probably not.

·
Registered
202 Posts
As far as I know all of them are a spray. The ones labeled as a wax aren't like a car wax. They just have the characteristics of a wax I guess you could say. Anyhow, with the DuPont stuff make sure it leaves a coating that helps to prevent the chain from rusting. If not, I would recomment getting some chain wax at a local bike shop. A can will run you around $6-7 so it's not a big expense. Regardless of what you choose, just remember to thoroughly clean and lube the chain regularly and that will greatly improve the life of the chain and sprockets.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i use the maxima and the dupont whichever i have at the time and they both work great

1 - 10 of 10 Posts