Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Geez, who decided to make sucha thing as 532 chain??? seems nobody makes it, and I'm planning on changing both sprockets at the same time, so no big deal to switch over to 530 chain, but what about the length of the chain and sprocket teeth? OEM is 15 front, 48 rear, 114 links 532 chain according to the manual, and that's what's on the bike. Is the overall length of the chain gonna be different with 15/48 sprockets in the 530 size from the 432 OEM chain?

HELP!

P.S.
I just checked to see if the Ron Ayers Suzuki site had anything... they don't even list the old 1100's... whassup with that? How am I gonna support gixxer sponsors when they don't list parts for my ride?

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: FastCat ]</p>

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, so if it's the same length, then what the heck is the diff between 530 and 532? And WHY the F**K did Suzuki use this oddball size? It makes me nervous is all... freakin' Japanese $^[email protected]#^... Not slammin' you dude... just honestly curious about what the size #'s mean.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I think that the 532 was a mistake, everyone drops down a size. The size is to do with the width I think rather than the length. I'm running a 520 DID x-ring which is fine. I have spoke to several people about this and I have been told that 400bhp is no problem with a 520. It's all about maintenance rather than size.
The drag races and road racers run smaller chains not bigger !!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Andy James:
I think that the 532 was a mistake, everyone drops down a size. The size is to do with the width I think rather than the length. I'm running a 520 DID x-ring which is fine. I have spoke to several people about this and I have been told that 400bhp is no problem with a 520. It's all about maintenance rather than size.
The drag races and road racers run smaller chains not bigger !!

<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I think it was some engineer's wet-dream to re-vamp the chain industry or sumpin (the 532 size) And yeah, I know the deal about chains and racebikes... I did sprints on a non o-ring 520 chain... racers also use really light oils... anything to get just a little bit more "oomph" to the rear-wheel... thing is, my 1100 is a streetbike... and I want the chain to last a long time... How many miles you get out of a 520 chain? You notice that it lasts longer or same as 532 or 530? I *doubt* this is the original chain on this thing, it has a master-link in it, and the bike had 30K miles on the clock when I got it... but it is a 532... stamped right in the sides of the links.

Oh, and I keep meaning to tell you... I like the checkerboard-wild paint on your bike... who did that?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I reckon the same mileage 10K I hope, but it takes me around 3 years to do that with the shite weather over here and having a job wife and 3 kids means I don't get out much really.
I have had a problem with the last one snapping but that was because (like a fool) I didn't 'tab' the sprocket washer and the nut came of which weakened the chain !!!! BEWARE......... The sprocket washer doesn't look like it should be 'foled' to the sprocket bust it MUST be else 'SNAP'.
The damage wasn't too much, more of a scare than anything even if it was at around 100-120 mph at full throttle accelerating down a lane passing a car !!!!!
My DID x-ring will last long enough. It's been on for over a year and hasn't need adjusting more than twice !

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Andy James:
and I have been told that 400bhp is no problem with a 520. <hr></blockquote>

not for the first 5 miles, anyway....

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
all 5xx series chains will be the same length as long as they have the same number of links. however, the widths are different between 520, 525, 530, and 532 chains (and i believe 532's have slightly larger roller diameters but i could be wrong).

go to http://www.bikebandit.com to look up part numbers on the online fiche, and then order from ronayers.....

the oem suzuki 532 chain for the '89 1100 is supposed to be a true endless chain (you'd have to drop the swingarm to install it) - no masterlink at all.
yours may be an aftermarket 532 (pretty rare), or an oem 532 masterlink chain from a different bike (e.g. a later model 1100 or a bike from a different manufacturer).

at any rate, my advice would be to not even bother with a 532......a 530 would be fine (not to mention a lot cheaper).

don't feel too bad, though.....the yamaha r6 (a little 600) comes stock with a 532!!! talk about overkill.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jeff:
all 5xx series chains will be the same length as long as they have the same number of links. however, the widths are different between 520, 525, 530, and 532 chains (and i believe 532's have slightly larger roller diameters but i could be wrong).
<hr></blockquote>

Thanks jeff, that tidbit helps me understand the naming/sizing convention. And *awesome* tip on the bikebandit site. Thanks!

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
to be more specific:

if xyy is the chain type (e.g. 520, 530, etc.), then:

x - the distance in eighths of an inch between link pins

yy - distance in eightieths of an inch between inner link plates, or the width (not diameter) of the rollers

so, a 530 has a pin-to-pin distance of 5/8", and has rollers which are 30/80" or 3/8" wide.

a 520 has the same pin-to-pin distance of 5/8", but is narrower, at 20/80" or 1/4".

the 532 i'm not sure of - it may not simply be wider, but it may have larger roller diameters as well (all other 5xx series chains will always have .4" roller diameters).

there are also 6xx and 4xx series chains, but you won't come across these very often.

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: jeff ]</p>

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
jeff- Due we get a discount from Ron Ayers? Is that our price on the web site?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jeff:
to be more specific:

if xyy is the chain type (e.g. 520, 530, etc.), then:

x - the distance in eighths of an inch between link pins

yy - distance in eightieths of an inch between inner link plates, or the width (not diameter) of the rollers

so, a 530 has a pin-to-pin distance of 5/8", and has rollers which are 30/80" or 3/8" wide.

a 520 has the same pin-to-pin distance of 5/8", but is narrower, at 20/80" or 1/4".

the 532 i'm not sure of - it may not simply be wider, but it may have larger roller diameters as well (all other 5xx series chains will always have .4" roller diameters).

there are also 6xx and 4xx series chains, but you won't come across these very often.

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: jeff ]
<hr></blockquote>

i think what jeff is trying to say is the pitch of the 532 chain compared to the 530 chain is different...also keep in mind the tensile strength of the chain that you buy...low tensile strength chain on these big cc bike equal disaster for engine cases...

dwayne

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by BBWATERCOOL:

i think what jeff is trying to say is the pitch of the 532 chain compared to the 530 chain is different...also keep in mind the tensile strength of the chain that you buy...low tensile strength chain on these big cc bike equal disaster for engine cases...

dwayne
<hr></blockquote>

Thanks Dwayne, what I understood jeff to say is that the pitch is the same, but the widths, and possibly roller diameters are different... in any case, The Tsubaki 520 chain lists a tensile strength of 7,000lbs or so if I remember correctly, but the 530 listed at 9,000lbs... OK, so it's an 1100, fire-breather, but nine-THOUSAND pounds??? the motor doesn't make *that* much torque... you got any guideline numbers for tensile strength requirements?

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MrTris:
jeff- Due we get a discount from Ron Ayers? Is that our price on the web site?
Thanks
<hr></blockquote>

i'm not sure if gixxer.com gets a special discount, but their prices on oem parts are already some of the best i've seen....so i'm not sure if they could even give us a discount if they wanted to.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by FastCat:

Thanks Dwayne, what I understood jeff to say is that the pitch is the same, but the widths, and possibly roller diameters are different... in any case, The Tsubaki 520 chain lists a tensile strength of 7,000lbs or so if I remember correctly, but the 530 listed at 9,000lbs... OK, so it's an 1100, fire-breather, but nine-THOUSAND pounds??? the motor doesn't make *that* much torque... you got any guideline numbers for tensile strength requirements?
<hr></blockquote>

the strengths can vary from chain to chain, even those of the same pitches. for example, a tsubaki 530 sigma has a tensile strength of over 10000lbs, but they also have a less expensive 530 chain - the alpha - that's rated at around 9400lbs.

a did erv2 520 has over 8000lbs of tensile strength - comparable to some 525's and 'weaker' 530's....

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: jeff ]</p>

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
therefore, just buy a good quality replacement and don't get hung up on the numbers !

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
therefore, just buy a good quality replacement and don't get hung up on the numbers !
<hr></blockquote>

isn't that what i basically said?

poor maintenance will kill any chain fast....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts