Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey man just throwing out something I did on my 2005 750. It was lowered and strapped, but I wanted a thinner seat to use when I was at the drag strip. There doesn't seem to be a lot of aftermarket drag race stuff for 600's and 750's, so this is an easy DIY way to make one. Trust me it is very easy. First thing I did was buy a used seat off EBay. From there I cut it open and ripped all the foam stuff out, until I was left with just the plastic seat shell. Next I bought some foam from a hobby lobby type place. The stuff I bought was a little over an inch think, but the main thing you want to look for is something that is hard enough that it will give you just a little padding when your sitting on it. The thickness doesn't matter too much as I'll explain later. Okay, so then I glued the new foam to the seat shell. One thing I did was added a little hump at the back to help prevent sliding back on the seat under hard acceleration. You can shape it however you like and redo countless times. Now since we want to be lower and the foam is a little over an inch think, I used gorilla tape and basically forced the foam down like weight was being applied. After that was done the seat was a little less than half an inch think not counting the shell. Final step... I bought a sheet of vinyl fabric from hobby lobby. I cut out enough fabric to cover the entire seat and extra so I could staple it back down on the underside. I used black fabric that matched the original seat. Then just use a heat gun/ hair dryer and an industrial staple gun and cover the seat using the fabric. Anyways, that's just my 2 cents on my DIY drag seat. It turned out really well and didn't cost much at all. When we would go to the track I would just throw the drag seat in a car or in a backpack and swap it out when I got there. It wasn't as comfortable as the stock seat, but it wasn't too bad. I'd ride with it on sometimes if we were out messing around, but never for really long rides. I liked this concept better than some of the all plastic or whatever seats they make for the 1k's and up. Don't be put off by the long write up, there really isn't too much to making one yourself. Good luck...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply for some reason it doesn't give me notifications of role responding :grin: but def a great idea I just ordered a gel seat for long rides I'll try it with my stock seat! Thanks a lot for the info

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for the reply for some reason it doesn't give me notifications of role responding :grin: but def a great idea I just ordered a gel seat for long rides I'll try it with my stock seat! Thanks a lot for the info
No problem. With your gel seat on order you could modify the oem seat easily. One thing I forgot to mention is that the seat I made not only sat lower but it also made it narrower which helped even more in getting good launches. Send me a pm if you have any questions

·
Registered
164 Posts
No problem. With your gel seat on order you could modify the oem seat easily. One thing I forgot to mention is that the seat I made not only sat lower but it also made it narrower which helped even more in getting good launches. Send me a pm if you have any questions
I noticed that you are from Alabama. Do you have a track you go to every week? Here in the last couple of seasons, the only track I can find that has bikes every weekend is Music City Raceway up in Tennessee.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm from Arkansas. And we have a couple decent tracks I live right next to centerville dragstrip. It's 1000 ft track not a 1/4. There is one in Prescott. As well.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm from Arkansas. And we have a couple decent tracks I live right next to centerville dragstrip. It's 1000 ft track not a 1/4. There is one in Prescott. As well.
Sorry man, guess I should have said I was talking about the guy who answered you being from Alabama.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I noticed that you are from Alabama. Do you have a track you go to every week? Here in the last couple of seasons, the only track I can find that has bikes every weekend is Music City Raceway up in Tennessee.
Cool another Alabama rider... Yeah the whole landscape of bike racing has kind of changed over the past few years. I am from Birmingham, so I'm close to a number of tracks. However, only a few are really worth a crap and have motorcycles turn out. A lot of people go to Holiday Beach (which is half way between B'ham and Tuscaloosa) on Wednesday-Thursday nights. It tends to me more for test and tune as its only an eighth and the shut down zone is pretty small. It is a little hit or miss but bikes seriously running are usually at Steele (about 45 minutes north of Trussville) or the drag strip in Montgomery. Both are full 1/4 tracks, and tend to have good bike racing.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Cool another Alabama rider... Yeah the whole landscape of bike racing has kind of changed over the past few years. I am from Birmingham, so I'm close to a number of tracks. However, only a few are really worth a crap and have motorcycles turn out. A lot of people go to Holiday Beach (which is half way between B'ham and Tuscaloosa) on Wednesday-Thursday nights. It tends to me more for test and tune as its only an eighth and the shut down zone is pretty small. It is a little hit or miss but bikes seriously running are usually at Steele (about 45 minutes north of Trussville) or the drag strip in Montgomery. Both are full 1/4 tracks, and tend to have good bike racing.
Cool man. I am from Jasper myself, and work in Birmingham.

You are right about the bike racing going downhill. We used to always go to Lassiter and it would be covered in bikes every Saturday. Now it is just cars. I have talked to a few owners, and they all say if we can get together a steady 15/20 bikes every Saturday they would be glad to have a bike class. Until then, all cars. I have not been to Steele in a while. I will have to check them out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Will do thank you! Any other ideas for help on the strip let me know.
Do you have a strap for the front? Brock's makes them and they aren't much. On my '05 I had the bike lowered about an inch on the forks and then when I'd get to the track, I would pull that front end way down using the strap.

Other things to note when it comes to drag racing 600's and 750's. Sprockets, Shenko rear tire, more than 6" extension is overkill even with nitrous.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gotcha it's cool haha. Sucks yalls bike scene has gone downhill. We have quite s few show up to the track and pretty competitive my way

·
Registered
58 Posts
Cool man. I am from Jasper myself, and work in Birmingham.

You are right about the bike racing going downhill. We used to always go to Lassiter and it would be covered in bikes every Saturday. Now it is just cars. I have talked to a few owners, and they all say if we can get together a steady 15/20 bikes every Saturday they would be glad to have a bike class. Until then, all cars. I have not been to Steele in a while. I will have to check them out.
Small world. I love Lassiter. I wanted to buy it actually a few years back. I'm just getting back into it, but Steele usually has some really fast bikes. It is kind of hit or miss though, so I'm trying to reconnect with some people who will be in the know on what is going down and when.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Gotcha it's cool haha. Sucks yalls bike scene has gone downhill. We have quite s few show up to the track and pretty competitive my way
Yeah it is pretty shitty that it is that way now. I am not sure why it is this way anymore. Every once in a while there will be a bike only event at a local track, there is not anywhere that has a constant bike class. Let alone 2 for pro and street. At least not that I know of.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Small world. I love Lassiter. I wanted to buy it actually a few years back. I'm just getting back into it, but Steele usually has some really fast bikes. It is kind of hit or miss though, so I'm trying to reconnect with some people who will be in the know on what is going down and when.
Definitely is a small world. I wish someone with some actual knowledge would have bought Lassiter. The dude who bought it does not seem to have much of that. Lassiter used to always be covered in bikes. If you used to go up there a decent amount back in late 90s early 2000s there is a good chance we know a lot of the same people. My dad and I have actually thrown around the idea of buying a track in between Jasper and Sumiton that used to be called Bama Dragway.

I will have to check out Steele. Maybe we could all get together the people we know and talk to a track about getting a bike class up and running every weekend again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
100% agree. I use to be at Lassiter from '99 to '06 almost every time it was open either with bike or Mustang. I have been to Bama Dragway a number of times too. If someone opened a track and did like 3 hours of promoting a week they could make tons of money in our market. Bikes and cars both. There is still a bunch of bikes in the area though, so that gives me hope that maybe things will get formalized again. There use to be bike nights at five points in Birmingham every Sunday night. It was a good place to meet people and set up events.

Steele and Montgomery usually put on a bike event each summer, so keep an eye out for those. I'll see if I can drum up any contacts on the grudge racers plans for racing this summer.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Do you have a strap for the front? Brock's makes them and they aren't much. On my '05 I had the bike lowered about an inch on the forks and then when I'd get to the track, I would pull that front end way down using the strap.

Other things to note when it comes to drag racing 600's and 750's. Sprockets, Shenko rear tire, more than 6" extension is overkill even with nitrous.
Check out the brackets from SAE. He makes them himself,they fit perfectly and are half the price of Brocks. I have them on all my bikes.
Radial Strap Mount Brackets

Also,you shouldn't need a Shinko to hook on a 600,even more so if it's SWB. They are heavy and rob rwhp. Any sticky DOT race tire will work. I run a Michelin Power SS on my 240rwhp Busa that's SWB and it dead hooks on even the shittiest tracks and it's much lighter(and a much better tire)then a Shinko:thumbup

·
Registered
164 Posts
100% agree. I use to be at Lassiter from '99 to '06 almost every time it was open either with bike or Mustang. I have been to Bama Dragway a number of times too. If someone opened a track and did like 3 hours of promoting a week they could make tons of money in our market. Bikes and cars both. There is still a bunch of bikes in the area though, so that gives me hope that maybe things will get formalized again. There use to be bike nights at five points in Birmingham every Sunday night. It was a good place to meet people and set up events.

Steele and Montgomery usually put on a bike event each summer, so keep an eye out for those. I'll see if I can drum up any contacts on the grudge racers plans for racing this summer.
Then I bet we know a lot of the same people. Happen to know Chris Parker or Randy Parker?

I think you are right about the track making money. Bama Drag is for sale for only 175K and it comes with 33 acres. We are still talking about it every once in a while. It would be an awesome investment if it actually worked out. The guys we know that still dragbike race are itching for a track close to home that have a bike race every weekend.

I will definitely keep my eye out. They are having the mega bike race up at Music City Raceway this Sunday if you did not know.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts