Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I had a great weekend at NHIS despite race 1 on Sunday... I'll try to keep it short:

Saturday Race #6 - HWSB - 3rd place

I got a good start and was 7th or so going into turn 1 from grid spot 9D. I was ready to start passing anyone I could on the inside of 1a but most people cut it short and I didn't want to bump into anyone. I put my head down coming out of turn 2 and chased after the leaders. I'm learning that the key is to get through turn 1-2 as cleanly as possible and try to etablish a lead early. It's hard to catch the leader working through traffic.

I remember catching up to Jim Fish and followed him around for a few laps. He was setting a good pace. The opportunity to pass came as we approached turn 11. There was a slower rider that had the inside line and I was going to follow Jim around him on the outside. The inside rider checked up and started to come to the outside. We were then 3 bikes wide going into turn 11. Fish grabbed some brake and I was pushed further outside. I clipped the curbing and was able to squeeze by both riders on the outside. It sent me pretty wide and I almost didn't make the chicane back onto the front straight.

I made a few mistakes, missed a shift down the straight and got too comfortable just riding around. Jim took advantage and passed me again with roughly two laps to go. He started to pull away. I thought to myself that we were battling for 5th place and I didn't want to lose out on contingency money. Again I put my head down and proceeded to brake later, corner harder and get on the gas earlier than I ever had before. I did turn my fastest lap time ever (1:19.71) and I was starting to "reel Fish back in" (wucka, wucka), but was a little too late. I was .5 second behind him at the finish. It turned out that we finished 2nd & 3rd. That was a great surprise. Congrats to Jim. That was the most fun I've ever had racing.

Race # 14 - MWGP (Michelin Dash for Cash) - 3rd place

This race wasn't as eventful as race #6. I really don't remember much from this race other than laughing at the speeds that Jeff Wood and Scott Greenwood came by me. It was really cool to watch them. They make it look so easy.

Sunday
Race #1 - HWSS - DNF

This race was confusing from the start. We were lined up on the hot pit for what seemed like forever. We stayed there just long enough for it to start to sprinkle. It was raining by the time we made it back to the grid. We were all gridded again it took what seemed like forever. Then the race was declared a wet race. I went back to my pit and frantically started ripping my bike apart.

I don't have spare wheels so I'm taking the wheels off in my full leathers and running over to the Dunlop garage with my tires in hand. They were able to get my rear rain mounted, so I grabbed it and ran back to the bike to put it on. I got the rear wheel mounted and wired on the bike and they called for 3rd & final call for the race. I'm not sure why they only give 5 minutes to change tires.

So the race started without me but was red flagged due to someone dumping oil in turn 2 on the first lap. They called for a complete re-start. I got my front tire mounted and made it just in time for the restart.

I got a great launch and was in 2nd place going into turn 1. I was able to make the pass for 1st in turn 4 and I started to put my head down and put a gap between me and 2nd. On the 2nd lap I exited turn 2 and was debating if I should look back or not. I decided to just keep going. I grabbed the front brakes and shortly after I hit a puddle and it just washed out on me. I slid for what seemed like forever. Spinning in circles on my back as I slid from the chute all the way to the tire wall. The bike wasn't bad but my rear wheel was a little bent and my visor came 1/2 way off my helmet so I couldn't continue.

I should have taken it easy and kept my lead out front. Oh well... lesson learned. It was still a fun weekend.

I'm out,
Ray
# 171

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
. . . you are doing well . . . keep it up. Catch that cherry picker and show him what's up.
++1

·
Registered
57 Posts
Don't worry, ray got by me in the MWGP race and once we got mixed up with some slower Expert riders they decided to spend three laps blocking me until ray was able to get away and take a 3rd place finish.

Dude we were watching you in T3....I think you and your bike slide about 300 yards....I am glad you are okay. I will have my revenge in June.....reel this is beeotch, lol Muahahahahaha

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dave, Thanks for the support. It feels good to be up front. I remember cheering for you when you were a Jr. to pass the Experts. When are you going to be at NHIS again?

Fish, that was a great weekend. I can't wait to mix it up with you again in June. I've never had so much fun racing. It's nice to be out dicing with another rider who's a cool guy to joke around with in the pits after the battle too.

You didn't happen to get any pictures or video did you? That would be sweet if someone had footage of that. I did slide for what seemed like forever. I was able to think about several different subjects and even pound the ground in frustration as I was sliding along.

·
Registered
57 Posts
no pictures were taken, but afterward we laughed that in the time that you were sliding we were able to call the resturaunt and make dinner reservations...also, I think Alex ran to the bathrooms and back before you stopped sliding

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
afterward we laughed that in the time that you were sliding we were able to call the resturaunt and make dinner reservations...also, I think Alex ran to the bathrooms and back before you stopped sliding
Dat be some funny chit meng!!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah no shit. I had time to think about how Ryan & his wife would be waiting to see me go by in turn 6, how I had just ruined his flawless paintjob, that turn 3 braking zone is bumpy and feels different on your back than it does on the bike, how that was a really big puddle, how I grabbed the front brakes too hard, how I wish I had a bigger tax refund, how I have a long drive home, and a few other random thoughts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts