Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tought myself how to downshift while braking on my old bike, a ninja 500. I got pretty good at it, although it was never fluid. Now that im on my gsxr 6, downshifting while braking is actually easier than downshifting alone! Its very satisfying to exit the highway, and blip down through all 6 gears to a stop. Sometimes it shifts so smoothly, im not sure i shifted at all and i have to "check"! Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
538 Posts
you should (maybe you do) match-rev for a smooth transition. it sounds cool too

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do match-rev... I agree, the sound is wicked! I think its easier on this bike because blipping the throttle is much easier than on a twin (with a heavy flywheel)

·
Registered
132 Posts
cool man, it is a great feelin'. just be careful, done it a few times and didn't bring the RPMs high enough and locked the rear wheel for a second, (scary).

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
yep, i always blip when downshifting, if you get quick and smooth with it, you'll come flying into a corner way to hot and know it. Then you'll instinctly blip and downshift, and carry yourself around the corner rather than having the clutch pulled in working against you the whole way as you try to get a lower gear in.

·
Cock Thumb, or Thumb Cock? You decide.
31,593 Posts
cool man, it is a great feelin'. just be careful, done it a few times and didn't bring the RPMs high enough and locked the rear wheel for a second, (scary).
just stay in the throttle and back that bitch in around the corner

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
sometime u did it sometime u dont.. practise make perfect.. clutchless

·
Registered
9,633 Posts
Riding a friends 1800 VTX into a sharp corner and down shifted like I do on my bike and when I let the clutch out the rear slid out.

Just cruising but still sucked. He was behind me on my bike and almost shit his pants.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Clutchless upshifts are the rule for me on hard acceleration (or even part throttle), I used to do clutchless downshifts on my ninja, and while if you do it just right, they are very smooth, doing it wrong really slams your tranny. So I dont clutchless downshift ever. I basically do the same thing you would do to clutchless downshift (shift at the same time you 'unload' the gear dogs) but I slip the clutch a little and its always nice and smooth! Ive never had rear wheel skid out on me from dumping the clutch on a downshift, and IMO it would be hard not to blip it high enough, seeing as the rpm difference is only about 1k for gearshifts.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
eNGINE BRAKIN' IS A SMOOTH TRANSITION ONCE U GET THE HANG OF IT,COME TO THINK OF IT,I GOT INTO BY ACCIDENT WHEN I FIRST STARTED RIDING MY FIRST GSXR(HAD AFEW SCARES W/REARLOCK UPS THOUGH) ITS JUST AS SWEET AS CLUTCHLESS UP SHIFTING SMMMMMMOOOOOOOTH.(SORRY FOR CAPS)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts