Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
eh'hole
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever coming to a stop, I will sometimes shift all the way down to 1st instead of pulling in the clutch a bunch of times. Now my question is that when I shift into first it sort of clunks, kind of like the noise when you engage first from neutral. Is this a normal sound because the ratio between 1st/2nd is the greatest? Thanks.

·
Registered
955 Posts
It's totally normal. In fact the quicker you snick it into gear the less potential damage to the dogs on the gears.

There are posts elsewhere explaining the whole thing in detail.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
johncal said:
It's totally normal. In fact the quicker you snick it into gear the less potential damage to the dogs on the gears.

There are posts elsewhere explaining the whole thing in detail.
What he means is to hit the shifter as hard as possible (within reason) to make it change gears as fast as possible. However, I wouldn't recomend down shifting to first until you are stopped, or going less than 10 mph. I would recommend down shifting to the other gears as you slow, just not 1st.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Try giving your throttle a slight blip as you downshift each gear, helps the gears to mesh and makes for a smoother shift when done right, especially from 2nd to 1st.

·
Registered
580 Posts
It makes that clunk when going from 2nd to 1st because it briefly falls in neutral as you go into 1st. That's why it sounds the same as going into first from nuetral. Pay attention to the nuetral light when shifting down from 2nd to 1st. It will quickly light for a split second.

·
eh'hole
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
71custom said:
Try giving your throttle a slight blip as you downshift each gear, helps the gears to mesh and makes for a smoother shift when done right, especially from 2nd to 1st.
What would blipping the throttle do if the clutch is engaged? Im talking about keeping the clutch held in, not releasing it, grab, shift, release, grab, shift etc.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Booenson said:
What would blipping the throttle do if the clutch is engaged? Im talking about keeping the clutch held in, not releasing it, grab, shift, release, grab, shift etc.
It helps both sides of the tranny match up. Which means less "clunking" and less wear and tear on the clutch.

·
Super Moderator
14,982 Posts
Yup...normal as normal can be. Go on and give her one more blip going into first...if for no other reason than the fact that it sounds good coming to a stop. Plus you'll avoid locking up the rear under hard braking. :thumbup

·
Registered
203 Posts
booenson, I understand what you are saying, I experience the same thing, and was wondering the same thing (about the clunking into 1st). I don't think the other posters are grasping that you are just holding the clutch in, and tapping the shift lever until you get to first. I believe most think you are slowing by letting the clutch out, and letting the engine slow you down. If you are pulling the clutch lever in, you are removing the link between the engine and the transmission, therefore you could rev to your hearts content, but it won't help shifting down to first the way you are doing it.

·
eh'hole
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Exactly, Ive been holding the clutch in the entire time, and shifting down all the way to first, I already know how to revmatch, but was wondering about the clunk when going into first. Before when I said the clutch was engaged, I meant I was pulling it in, ie. no power to the wheel.

·
Premium Member
8,926 Posts
I asked the same question a few weeks ago and the consensus was that it wouldn't hurt the bike, mechanically speaking. I've put 70k on my bikes combined using pretty much the same style and didn't run into any problems. The only issue you may get is just the handling (or loss thereof) when letting out the clutch in 1st. As a matter of habit I tend to only downshift past one gear (ie. 5th to 3rd, 3rd to 2nd), but thats usually when I'm pretty hard on the brakes so when I let out the clutch I don't usually get much wiggle out of the rear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts