Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it really worth it to go down one, or up two or both? If I do this would I need to change to the 520 chain or is there any real benefit over the 525 chain that I think they have? I am not wanting to make my bike a wheelie machine, and I don't really want to take away from the top end. I was just thinking and everyone says that it is very worth it. I was just wondering, I have a 2004 Gixxer 750 with a CF Yosh TRS bolt on. Other than that it is stock. Thanks

·
Registered
637 Posts
are you wanting more acceleration, because that is what the gearing will change. on a street driven bike, a 520 is more cosmetic than utilitarian. the best benefit is weight loss due to recriprocating mass. it is one of the most inexpensive ways to reduce this weight, some other ways would be:
aftermarket wheels
different tires(for the gsxr suzi had spec tires made that are lighter to make it lighter for the claimed weight that come standard)
wave / ebc pro lite, and other brake rotors of the like.
C/F swingarms
of course there are some more obscure ways, but those are the most common.
I went down 1 tooth on the front, and it is difficult to keep the front end down. if you regear to make the overall gearing shorter, you will lose the top end speed

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I have the same bike as you and I went -1 in the front and really like it. I have had all different gearing in my past gixxers -2 front, =2 rear etc and my favorite for general use like track is -1 front.

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
ya i did -1 front on my 750. it was about 30min work start to finish with clean up. Thats if you have the proper nut and knowledget to get the baby off. its a nice change, but nothing to drastic.

·
PM me for Brotection
57,513 Posts
You're saying it's hard to keep the front end down, is that on a 600 or a 750? I have to be on it pretty hard to feel the front lift on my 600 with stock gearing.

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
with -1 on my 750 I have to hammer it hard in 2nd up in the revs already going over a little crest. It with just hammering it on a flat road, I don't think it'll lift. But if i lean back REALLY hard and REALLY hammer it quick (no throttle blip) it might barely lift. But once its up, i'll be out of revs. So no -1 isn't so much u'll be going crazy.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does going down one in the front really make that big of a difference on the top end? If I really lay into mine now in first the front will come up, but only in first. It never lifts on the one-two shift, my TLR would float the tire on that shift. I don't know for sure if I am going to do it, just kicking the idea around. If it would be it quicker then I might. What tires does everyone seem to like the most on the Gixxer? I think the rear will be around for about another 500 miles and then it is gone. What seems to be working?

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I really loved it with the -1!

But...................

I wanted more....................

.........so later I went with the 520 -1....... +2 and it is a fucking animal now!

WOOT WOOT!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts