Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don\'t hate me but I found my second bike

First off I am keeping the gixxer(wanting a nother one too boot), but after much soul searching, I have come to realize I want an Aprilia RS 250 as my second bike, I am pretty much done with riding on the street, I want to go fast, Road America is about 2.5 hours from my house, Black Hawk farms is about 1.5 hrs, both have race schools... both are far safer than Chicago land streets...I think it will be fun to have a Formula Extreme Gixxer 1340, and a very light weight bike to improve my skills on too(ntm, I want to see if I can stuff TL1000R motor into the RS 250
)

whatch ya think?
-Karl
-Karl

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Re: Don\'t hate me but I found my second bike

Its a nice bike, I would like one someday. I can't blame you for getting off the street, sometimes its just too dangerous.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yeah, I like the RS 250, there is something about buying a race bike brand new that hasn't been down, or highsided previously makes me feel a little better than buying somebodys used race bike...can't wait to get one, slap a set of D208 race tires on it and take a superbike school...
and I am making the lights on my Gixxer removable so I can take the occasional street ride...
-Karl

·
Registered
360 Posts

Yhat is a very nice bike. I would not change anything on it.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Well a few changes, aftermarket steering damper, some arrow pipes...SharkSkinz bodywork...and some safetywire

-Karl

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts

Good choice! But it needs some carbon fiber body work, Marvics, pipes, I think I saw one with a RG500 engine in it once....
Bones

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

How about Dymags, SharkSkinz, and a TL1000R motor stuffed in it....

-Karl

G

·
0 Posts

Do you have alot of experience with two stroke race bikes? If not then definitly look at an older TZ 250 before you go that route!!

·
Registered
360 Posts

Originally posted by KJ1:
Well a few changes, aftermarket steering damper, some arrow pipes...SharkSkinz bodywork...and some safetywire

-Karl
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well that kind of suff

·
Registered
3,895 Posts

I wish *I* could afford a second bike... I'd have an Aprilia too, but I want the Mille-R! I'll prolly end up racing YSR-50's on my budget though...

about the two-stroke thing... get ready for some changes in your riding-style as well as some new maintanence lessons... two-strokes do *not* take kindly to attempts at engine-braking (more like engine-breaking.)... ya gotta remember that the fuel-supply carries the oil-supply with it. Good way to toast rings and bearings is to slam the throttle shut at 14K RPMs with the clutch still engaged.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Yeah...it will be a big change...but I plan to research the 2 stroke thing and get an TRS 250 for myself this winter\spring hopefully as a graduation\wedding present for myself... i really want to finish my gixxer first...just itching for a track ride....
-Karl

[ 07-08-2002, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: KJ1 ]

·
Registered
269 Posts

Check out this bbs page, excellent info source for 2-stroke race bikes. TZ250.com

The Aprillia is a solid choice, relatively inexpensive way to get into GP racing and the Challenge series rocks. Biggest complaint I have heard about the stock RS250 is the terrible stock gear combo, suspension setup, and carb calibration.

Honestly, I'd look for a low mileage used one though, there seem to be a ton of them around that already have the basic race mods done. Enjoy, I'm jealous. FWIW, Gingerman and Grattan in Michigan are far better tracks than Blackhawk and are not that far away from Chicago either. There is also Putnam and IRP in Indianapolis. Both the GLRRA and WERA have solid midwest racing series.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts