Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I just got my tickets to go see the moto gp race in Donnington, UK July. Anyone been there and can you share experience/advise.

thx

·
Registered
60 Posts
yes i've been loads of times,,here goes. Really bad traffic conjestion getting in,even worse getting out,,,long queues for the dirteist toilets you ever seen. Over priced discusting food, watch the racing through high chain link fence, useless tannoy system. Sorry iits all true but i am sure you will enjoy it anyway

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So its one of those leave for destination 6am kinda things, I've been to the ama's race here and what you've said sounds familiar but you get to walk thru participants setup's (not the grid section) and take pictures/get posters and stuff like that. Does Donnington have anything similiar ?

·
Registered
60 Posts
no, you can't walk around the pit area i'm afraid and not sure wether you can obtain pit passes. Donnington is not the best place for getting near the bikes.
The traffic problem happens every year and each year they say they have sorted it ,so just hope they really do this year.There are plenty of trade stands there now and a seperate hall full of decent trade stuff. Its not all bad and like i said before i'm sure you will have a good day.

·
Registered
51 Posts
They had morons controlling the car parks and the roads around the track were just gridlocked. Imagine 5000 cars all trying to get out of a muddy field through one gate with no sort of traffic control. Absolute chaos.

·
Registered
88 Posts
my experience slightly different lol..... abasalutley superb... practise/qualifying days in the stand, while in between having meals with john reynolds and yukio kagayama in the suzuki hospitality tent, then final day watched the race from craynor then had a mental party at night with jr and yukio both drunk!! was amazing weekend! (british superbike - btw)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sounds good. I had dinner sat next to JR at a Ducati owners do back when he was riding for Reve Red Bull. Seems like a nice bloke. Very quiet and modest.

But going back to the MotoGP, I've been half a dozen times to Donnington and last year was the worst mess ever. Totally ruined the day for me and many many others. Makes Brand Hatch WSB seem like a paradise.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
i've been there for the past 2 years. just make sure you get there plenty early, i'm talking ARRIVE there before 7am. DOnington just spent over 5 million pounds to upgrade the surrounding Leicestershire roads to accomodate the traffic better. THe best spots to watch are on the infield just inside the back chicane, where you can see them all the way down dunlop straight, so great passing into the esses (where there are plenty of crashes, too) then you get to see them come flying into goddards and out onto the front straightaway. There's some wooden stairs right there heading up toward the front straight, go up those and onto the little hill on your right. Great view AND you can turn around and see the come up through Schwantz curve and through McLeans curve. MAke sure you go to the back hill during the 250's race to see the speed those little buggers carry through craner curve. It's a lot steeper than it looks on tv. You can obtain paddock passes for the day of champions (thursday before the race), but even if you don't, you'll be allowed into the pit to meet whichever riders decide to come out and see their people. I've met Shakey, Edwards, Hayden, Capirossi, Pitt, Checa, Melandri, and loads of others. The only ones that didn't come out were Max, Vale, and Sete...BOTH years. Plus, you get to stand within touching distance of the bikes while they are prepped and started up. Bring earplugs. Even to the race. Nothing will prepare you for how loud these things are. They're insanely awesome. Oh, and bring a good digital camera so you can share your experience!
Aside from the traffic, you'll have a great time that you'll never forget.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i've been there for the past 2 years. just make sure you get there plenty early, i'm talking ARRIVE there before 7am. DOnington just spent over 5 million pounds to upgrade the surrounding Leicestershire roads to accomodate the traffic better. THe best spots to watch are on the infield just inside the back chicane, where you can see them all the way down dunlop straight, so great passing into the esses (where there are plenty of crashes, too) then you get to see them come flying into goddards and out onto the front straightaway. There's some wooden stairs right there heading up toward the front straight, go up those and onto the little hill on your right. Great view AND you can turn around and see the come up through Schwantz curve and through McLeans curve. MAke sure you go to the back hill during the 250's race to see the speed those little buggers carry through craner curve. It's a lot steeper than it looks on tv. You can obtain paddock passes for the day of champions (thursday before the race), but even if you don't, you'll be allowed into the pit to meet whichever riders decide to come out and see their people. I've met Shakey, Edwards, Hayden, Capirossi, Pitt, Checa, Melandri, and loads of others. The only ones that didn't come out were Max, Vale, and Sete...BOTH years. Plus, you get to stand within touching distance of the bikes while they are prepped and started up. Bring earplugs. Even to the race. Nothing will prepare you for how loud these things are. They're insanely awesome. Oh, and bring a good digital camera so you can share your experience!
Aside from the traffic, you'll have a great time that you'll never forget.
awesome! thx for the info all. the first race i went to was the ama's at vir and that was a great experience....way different than what is seen on tv and i got to see a guy crash in front of my area unfortunately. i can't wait for the GP tho been a fan for years.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
hey, if you get tickets/info from MCN (Motorcycle News) which comes out on Thursdays, it'll keep you up to date on discount tickets, best places to park, ect for race day. That, by far, is the best bike magazine in the world. I'm gonna go start a thread about biggest race crashes you've seen cuz i've got one to top that, spyderarm!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts