Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 base and my buddy has 18 R and my springs seem heavier. Does anyone know the spring rates on these bikes? Please and thank you

·
Registered
432 Posts
Ya this guy has contradicting videos. thanks for trying
I wouldn't say contracting. He did change on fork height, but the other settings he metions, I have tried and really liked. The changes he suggests really help out on the front.

the first vid he says 2 clicks out comp and Updated vid 1.5 and front preload 11 in, updated vid is 12. Not much change. Keep in mind this vid is 1 year later, and he says he did make some changes. I really want to drop the forks like he mentions. I am also wondering what effect changing the swing arm mounting point would have on geometry.

I put 2 more turns preload on rear (4 total), and bumped rebound comp .5 in as well. Seemed a little stiff for the canyon run I was doing, however I couldn't really ride due to their being 1,000 cops at every turn so I can't really say but it seemed a little stiff, I might back off compression .5 to where it was, 2 out. The front now feels great, I love it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In just the last Six Months I have set up 18 GSXR 1000, 19 ZX10,14 z1000, 3 RSV4s, 4 Panigals, 2020 S1000rr and 18 S1000rr. Everyone near me goes to me for initial suspension setups. The reason I seeking factory spring rates is my buddies 18 1000R L7, has max per load on his rear spring and it's still not right compared to where we set his front rider sag. We know we need a stronger spring. But my 2020 L7 base model feels like it's got stiffer springs then even his 1000r. So I wanted to confirm that and figure out what weight spring to order him to set up his bike properly. I use the Motool digital sag tool for quick and accurate measurements. Before I start to adjust the forks in the clamps we need the bike sitting well with the right rider sag so he can ride it and give me feedback on what he would like the bike todo. Right now it's ok but the rear spring is maxed out and effectively removed all hydraulic control. He found these vidoes too and showed me and this guy has 2 and they are contradicting each other it makes no sense.

·
Registered
20 Posts
In just the last Six Months I have set up 18 GSXR 1000, 19 ZX10,14 z1000, 3 RSV4s, 4 Panigals, 2020 S1000rr and 18 S1000rr. Everyone near me goes to me for initial suspension setups. The reason I seeking factory spring rates is my buddies 18 1000R L7, has max per load on his rear spring and it's still not right compared to where we set his front rider sag. We know we need a stronger spring. But my 2020 L7 base model feels like it's got stiffer springs then even his 1000r. So I wanted to confirm that and figure out what weight spring to order him to set up his bike properly. I use the Motool digital sag tool for quick and accurate measurements. Before I start to adjust the forks in the clamps we need the bike sitting well with the right rider sag so he can ride it and give me feedback on what he would like the bike todo. Right now it's ok but the rear spring is maxed out and effectively removed all hydraulic control. He found these vidoes too and showed me and this guy has 2 and they are contradicting each other it makes no sense.
I also found my L7 stock front springs very soft. Don't know the spring rate but I have changed to k -tech 10.5 springs. I would guess the standard is about 9's. I weigh 85kg.- hope this helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
thank you!, how much more preload you got left with the 10.5 at 85KGs?
8 full turns (and this is for track riding)

I find your problem with your issue rear "strange" so unless this oak is weighing a ton - normally it is almost impossible to "bottom" the rear shock because of the linkage. You don't get to use all the travel available that's why they change the linkage (or one of the reasons). I will suggest put a "tell tale" on the rear shock and take it from there.
I believe this "linkage problem" is solved on the 2020 model.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
8 full turns (and this is for track riding)

I find your problem with your issue rear "strange" so unless this oak is weighing a ton - normally it is almost impossible to "bottom" the rear shock because of the linkage. You don't get to use all the travel available that's why they change the linkage (or one of the reasons). I will suggest put a "tell tale" on the rear shock and take it from there.
I believe this "linkage problem" is solved on the 2020 model.
Just to clarify, we are just at max rear spring preload. Compared to the front (at riders skill level) I can't get the 5mm difference between the front and rear dialing in rider sag.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,826 Posts
Free sag and rider sag.... take that with a grain of salt. Do yourself a favor and watch some of Dave Moss's videos.

I checked some of the sites I use for suspension and no one has published rates for either bike yet. Even the OEM parts fiche doesn't have a part number for the spring alone.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Free sag and rider sag.... take that with a grain of salt. Do yourself a favor and watch some of Dave Moss's videos.

I checked some of the sites I use for suspension and no one has published rates for either bike yet. Even the OEM parts fiche doesn't have a part number for the spring alone.
I did a few remote tuning sessions with Dave, Checked racetech they are only showing to 2016 GSXR 1000

·
Registered
432 Posts
Anyone know any decent tuners local to Southern Cali?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Personal experience, have an L8 1kr. Ordered a 120n/mm spring for rear, With that spring you can get 15mm of bike sag(not rider sag) set to about the same length as with stock spring.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Personal experience, have an L8 1kr. Ordered a 120n/mm spring for rear, With that spring you can get 15mm of bike sag(not rider sag) set to about the same length as with stock spring.
Ok, I don't think the stock spring at the stock length was more than 15mm free sag? right now stock spring max preload free sag is like 4-6mm off the top of my head

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok, I don't think the stock spring at the stock length was more than 15mm free sag? right now stock spring max preload free sag is like 4-6mm off the top of my head
Stock spring had more free sag-bike sag, than 15mm, set stock.
For track I typically only set bike sag-free sag, not rider sag at 15-17 for rear, and 17-20 for front, and like to have the front within 3mm of the rear or less and make adjustments to geometry and preload after riding. I find this puts the bike itself in a fairly balanced setup as a starting position, which gets fine tuned from actual riding feedback.

R model, forks at stock height of 16mm, with 11.0 springs set to 18mm of free sag and rear shock with 120n/mm spring set to 174mm spring length(169.8mm stock), I got 15mm of free sag.
Hope that helps in figuring out what direction to go.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts