Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Life has become a tad bit stressful in the last few days, had to spend some time in the shop to relax my mind, adjusted valves, and cleaned out all the friggen orange rtv the previous owner had everywhere. A couple valves were out of spec on both the tight and loose side, glad I took the time to do it and inspect the timing chain, all looking good now.

Attachments

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Day 5 of being in the house with my boys Covid19 has us on lockdown, my youngest has asthma and is high risk, so we are taking no chances. The good news, I have a bike to build, wetsanding the parts I painted last weekend, will get the orange peel out and level out the stripes then hit them with probably about 5 coats of 2K clear. Seemed like a good opportunity to have art class in the garage.

Attachments

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Might have to change the name of this build to the Covid19 build. Sunday in the garage, decided to fabricate a dash bracket out of some flat steel for the neutral, Oil pressure, signal, and bright lights, turned out good nice and clean, I will shoot it with paint and wire it all up later. The engine and exhaust is in/on. Was a good day staying away from the general population. Stay safe.

Attachments

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Wiring finished! BIG SMILES! finished up with wiring up the light panel, nothing fancy. Also bench tested the carbs, float needles are pooched, floats set perfect and still pissing fuel everywhere, ordered a set of needles and seats.

While I wait for those I’ll probably start on the final wetsand and paint polish starting on the weekend. Also continuing to try and bleed out the new lines and master cylinders for the brake and clutch, what a nightmare it’s been, so spongy.

Attachments

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Had a good upper body workout today, final wetsanding and power polishing going down. Wetsand with 1500 then 2000 then 3000, then power polish with a cutting compound, power polish with a glaze, and finally the wax, finished the tail and the tank, still have the front fender to go. I would say I’ve got about 20+ hours into the paint. Not bad for being done in a garage. First picture is the orange peel I started with, then the mat wet sanded product and a shot of the tail and tank polished up. Thought I’d share a sneak preview.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Life has become a tad bit stressful in the last few days, had to spend some time in the shop to relax my mind, adjusted valves, and cleaned out all the friggen orange rtv the previous owner had everywhere. A couple valves were out of spec on both the tight and loose side, glad I took the time to do it and inspect the timing chain, all looking good now.
How many miles on this bike, just for reference, thanks.

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It didn’t have any kind of speedo when I bought it, so I honestly have no idea. It’s seen some long hard miles is my guess based on my findings in the transmission, but does have some good quality parts so someone cared about it once upon a time, it’s going to be a great little commuter/weekend toy when all said and done, and it’s been very well cared for since it’s been in my possession.
How many miles on this bike, just for reference, thanks.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts