Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up my ‘87 1100 about a month ago for $500 that was in rough shape, wouldn’t shift, pissed fuel when running, among other cosmetic problems and hack job wiring. My plan was to do the carbs fix the shifting issues and just ride it. 1987 and older bikes are a very sought after thing up here in Saskatchewan as our provincial run insurance company has flat rate premiums but 1987 and older bikes can be registered as “antique vehicles” and premiums are $140 a year as appose to the same bike just and ‘88 is over $2,000, so as you can imagine bikes like this ‘87 don’t come available for sale often and when they do it’s at a premium. So I’ve decided I’m going to go right through this thing, make it perfect, paint it and make it something special as I know I’ll easily get my money out of it should I ever want to sell.

So this thread will be my documentation of the build.
Bike when I bought it. Everything covered in oil, no rear brake line, just a very long list of awful decisions on previous owners part.

the swing arm has been stretched, but luckily it was done very well, solid.

Attachments

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
At home in the garage, looking into the wiring harness and figuring out what was done and removing the awfulness, luckily I had an amazing wiring diagram which made it easy. Bike had no gauge cluster with it, so I had to source an aftermarket, limited stock bodywork (what I did have I sold on eBay for over $300) clip on’s come off, super bike bars and risers added to top clamp, some mirrors that I’m sure I’ll see nothing out of and a new headlight. Ordered an aluminum seat pan from China, trying to mock up what it might look like.

Attachments

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Time to pull the motor out and split the cases to see what is causing the shifting issue or should I say not shifting issues. Turns out upon pulling the pan I was in for some carnage, allot of metal in the pan (thank god for pickup screens) this was the damage, the bearing somehow blew up, not sure how? Maybe a tooth from the chipped teeth on both 5th gears? First gear bushing and washer are all toasted as well, rough shape. I’m on the hunt for a replacement input and output full trans setup so to keep it simple. No luck finding anything yet, but snow still on the ground here, so lots of time
to keep looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
While I’m searching for parts it’s time to pull apart these carbs, was pleased to see that the bike had a proper jet kit in it with 137.5’s and 150 jets in it and adjustable needles. Along with K&N filters, cleaned and recharged the filters, and broke down the carbs for a good soaking. As well took the Supertrapp 4-1 exhaust, repacked the baffle sanded and prepped it and give the header and mid pipe a shot of gloss black paint and polished the can portion, didn’t snap pictures of it yet though it seems.

Attachments

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Broke out the mig and the riv nut gun and fabricated the seat pan mount, wanted to get it up off the frame to give me a solid riding position, while I was at it fabbed up an exhaust hanger with some round bar to replace the clunky rear foot peg exhaust hanger, as well as a license plate holder as there won’t be enough room under the tail light to mount without it catching the rear tire (picture shows unpainted version)

Attachments

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
At this point I’ve decided that I’m all in on this bike and paint is in its future, I rip off the hideous wrap that is covering the tank (that I can see the factory decal outline through) to discover what can only be described as the laziest garbage rattle can black paint job, like just the worst, I grab my orbital sander and see how much work this will be, luckily it is coming off fairly easy, a couple small dents in the tank, but with a little prep it shouldn’t take much to get it ready for me to lay down some paint on it. On the fence about colors at this point, I’m really leaning towards and very metallic green with gold chrome striping. But In the mean time the hunt for parts continues and carbs will go back together in the coming days as I start to sand down the front fender, tank, and prep the new seat pan.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
That is a seriously damaged gearbox! most gears are available new thru ebay. gsx1100f gearboxes are basically the same btw

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So a 86-88 GSXF 1100 would have the same gear box? Hydro clutch and all?

I’ll have to look through parts lists to see. Would like to source a complete setup to avoid having to press things on and off especially since my one shaft is buggered.

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My clutch shaft is good so I could likely swap that out the, would mean pressing stuff off and on, but could swap I suppose.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
good luck with the rebuild and keep us updated. always nice to see these bikes brought back to life.

i've read about the canadian insurance premiums; pretty scary stuff.

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ended up ordering the 88 GSX1100F transmission, and I’ll make it work, it’s very very close.

While I’m waiting for it to get here, time to replace these shot fork seals, get the front fender prepped for paint and take off that crusty 2002 date stamp front tire and put on a new Bridgestone T31.

Can anyone confirm if the OEM springs on my ‘87 would have been progressive? Are these factory or aftermarket?

edit: After some searching it looks like this is a progressive kit, pleasant surprise.

Attachments

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Continuing paint prep as I wait on Trans parts and fork oil, forks are mostly assembled (after making my own fork seal impact tool) just waiting for some good 10W oil, back to this paint prep, lord help me if I ever see someone spray painting over plastidip, god what a mess, put in over and hour sanding this stupid fender and I still have more work to do, O well, just have to keep my eye getting the best finished product.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
When painting, all the work is in the prep. Don’t worry it will be worth the time. I spent 40 hours sanding rattle can paint off some armour bodies fairings and tank one time. It will save your paint guy a ton of time and you won’t have to worry about bonding issues.

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
New Trans showed up today, fits and works perfect (as I expected shift forks aren’t damaged), had a helper in the shop today as well (my youngest son - 7) thought he would see how he fit on the bike. Haha

Attachments

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Knocking a few things off the list. Forks rebuilt, Carbs are cleaned and assembled, new transmission is in and engine completely assembled, next up is to finish paint prep, this weekend it’s time to paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finalizing paint prep, sprayed primer today, it revealed a couple shortcomings in my prep, so I’ve touched them up and will sand out tomorrow, also put a new Bridgestone T31 on the front. Hope to have a finished paint product by Monday.

Attachments

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Full day painting today, got to the point where clear coat will go on in the AM I’ll sand out the high spots where the stripes and stencilling were done, then hit it with clear again and let it sit for a solid couple weeks before I 3 stage wetsand the whole project and polish it back up. It was an ambitious paint project, it’s certainly not perfect, but it’s an improvement to what was there. I’ll be sure to post up pictures when it’s finished up seat foam pad on and everything on the bike out In the sun, the whole project has a heavy heavy metal flake to it. Ignore the rustolium paint cans they are just props for the fender when I was painting. Below are the stages of laying it all down.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts