• Chain guard off

Votes: 26 36.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, how many of you keep the chain guard on. We all know it can be dangerous to take it off, and on the other hand, many of us think it looks better with it off.

·
Registered
286 Posts
would look better without the guard but imagine the mess it would make on the undertail/swing arm/rear wheel with all the chain goo

·
Registered
217 Posts
Marko Rossi said:
would look better without the guard but imagine the mess it would make on the undertail/swing arm/rear wheel with all the chain goo
+1 That would be a :nono . Also if you ride people I'd feel better with it on. Anything for safety stays on my ride, I like the way it looks with no rear brake but hell I may need it someday.

·
Registered
659 Posts
If you use a chain lube like Maxima Chainwax, the flingoff is minimal to none. Also, I highly doubt that piece of plastic is going to help in any way shape or form if the chain lets go. It's purpose is to prevent flingoff of the factory lube (or if you use motor oil or something). It is kind of a pain in the ass that you have to remove the rear wheel to get the other piece off, but it's not a huge deal. Besides, while you have the rear wheel off you can properly clean and degrease the chain in preparation for a drier lube.

I guess theoretically, it could prevent your boot from going into the chain, but I'd have to see the position someone would have to be in to believe that they could get their boot in the chain.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
On :biggrin

I've actually had the misfortune of having a chain break and I must say that the chain guard saved my ankle from being ripped apart. The chain guard broke, but it served its purpose and took the initial blow. The chain made one full rotation before it totally came off. It destroyed both sprockets and cut through the entire rear section of my bike like it was butter. Ended up doing about $1,500 worth of damage. If my chain guard was off, and the chain would have hit me... god only knows what would have happened. My vote is KEEP IT ON for SAFETY!!!

·
Chubby Chaser
57,804 Posts
The K5/K6 chain guard is in two pieces. I took both pieces off and looked at the underside of them. The one closer to the front in the middle of the swingarm looked relatively clean on the underside. The one towards the rear had the majority of fling-off on it, so I left that one on and kept the forward one off.

Thus far no issues.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,126 Posts
TurboGarage said:
I guess theoretically, it could prevent your boot from going into the chain, but I'd have to see the position someone would have to be in to believe that they could get their boot in the chain.
Not that much of an issue on the upper side of the swingarm but much more so on the lower side where the chain goes backwards towards the rear sprocket. People do lose toes there sometimes in crashes. IMHO, bikes should come stock with a "shark fin" like the ones that are mandatory on race bikes:

View attachment 12919

·
Registered
180 Posts
Off. I cleaned off whatever that crap they put on from the dealer that flings everywhere and put on some BelRay chain wax. Absolutely no fling off or problems. A much cleaner look in my opinion. This is my third bike running without a chain guard, no problems... I don't recall seing very many of them on racebikes (but they do have the fin)...

·
Registered
659 Posts
K6racer said:
I've actually had the misfortune of having a chain break
Any idea what caused it to break? These chains (especially the 530) are extremely beefy, I can't imagine them breaking unless they ingested a large rock, were horribly cared for, or were run far longer and for more miles than they should have been. Just curious, since I've been lucky enough to never have one break, or even look like it might be ready to. Is chain breakage a legitimate concern? Obviously liter bikes are harder on them, but that's why they come with 530's, too.

SVS said:
IMHO, bikes should come stock with a "shark fin" like the ones that are mandatory on race bikes
Yeah, I have to agree with you there. But the stock guard won't help you with this, you'd still need to add the shark fin regardless of whether you left on the stock guard.

Which reminds me, I need to get mine installed. Even if they don't provide them with the bike, it'd at least be nice if they supplied the holes for them so you don't have to drill into the swingarm. :rolleyes

·
Registered
393 Posts
TurboGarage said:
Any idea what caused it to break? These chains (especially the 530) are extremely beefy, I can't imagine them breaking unless they ingested a large rock, were horribly cared for, or were run far longer and for more miles than they should have been. Just curious, since I've been lucky enough to never have one break, or even look like it might be ready to. Is chain breakage a legitimate concern? Obviously liter bikes are harder on them, but that's why they come with 530's, too.

Yeah, I have to agree with you there. But the stock guard won't help you with this, you'd still need to add the shark fin regardless of whether you left on the stock guard.

Which reminds me, I need to get mine installed. Even if they don't provide them with the bike, it'd at least be nice if they supplied the holes for them so you don't have to drill into the swingarm. :rolleyes
It will help--at least more so than not having one on there. It is purely a safety adn liability issue for Suzuki--much like the reflectors and the warning stickers. It would be nice to fit a fin or a carbon replacement, but I am keeping mine on until I find a suitable replacement.

Incidentally, I removed the chain guard on my '01 Yamaha R1 and have some nice gouges in my Old Alpinestars to prove it.... :hammer

I had a beautiful carbon hugger/chain guard on my TL1000R (Sebimoto or ART, I can't remember...), and I'm looking for something similar for my Gixxer....

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
i have mine on, doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I know a lot of local road racers remove it as they say it saves weight, but really how much does that piece of plastic weigh? I drag race mine and it is a NHRA requirement to have it on. Yes it looks like a flimsy piece of plastic, but if the chain does break, it deflects it enough to save your leg and/or foot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
19 Participants
Carnage
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing