Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, because I do. But I think I have the wrong exhaust on my bike. Also, do you folks change your filters every oil change, or every other. I change my oil about every 2k miles, and my filter about half as often.

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
I don't have to remove the exhaust to change the filter, but I've got the stock exhaust on my 1100.

Change my filter every oil change. It's cheap enough and peace of mind that I'm getting as much old oil out with each change. If I had to pull the exhaust off to change the filter, I'd probably get a different exhaust. Oil changes should be easy so you'll do them regular.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Re: Do you have to remove your exhaust to change your oil fi

I have a Yoshi "Race-Only" exhaust that I have to remove every time I change the filter. It is a huge pain. Also, over the years I have stripped out a few of the bolt holes in the head. I really don't like that design, it almost begs you to be lax in the filter changes.

Chad
1987 GSXR - 1100

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts

yeah, with a full yosh exhuast, you will have to remove the headers to remove the oil filter. sucks ass!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

I changed the fitting on the engine for the oil filter.[The 86-87-750s have a big filter]. I used the part number from an 87-11. This allows me to run the small filters found on most suzukis. I had to loosen the header [race only yosh] everytime, but now the small filter falls through. I never figured out why they came with a large filter. Maybe something to do with endurance racing? But I figured if my 87-1100 could live with the smaller filter, then the 750 could to..And has..

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks for the replies, fellas.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts

rogerlee,

good point there with using the smaller 86-87 1100 oil filter. the 88-92 750's oil filters are also smaller than the 86-87 750's. but, i didn't know that they were interchangeable. cool!

tbrown, it sounds like your problem is solved!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Tell me more about modifying the fitting, Rogerlee. Did you effectively create an adapter that would allow the use of a smaller filter? I'd like to take my header off for the last time, this weekend. Is the modification safe/sound?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

Remember you got to change the fitting as the threads are different in the oil filters. The part number you would need is 16591-06B00. If you use pliers or small pipe wrench to remove old fitting then you will be commited as it will ruin threads. I used two thin nuts and locked them together and then backed it out. I used needle nose vise grips to install new fitting being careful not to hurt the threads. Also loctited. This is really not a big deal, I am just kind of a cautious kind of guy. This was a great mod because it saves time and as mentioned the header bolts can't take numerous removal and tightening without stripping.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

Tell me more about modifying the fitting, Rogerlee. Did you effectively create an adapter that would allow the use of a smaller filter? I'd like to take my header off for the last time, this weekend. Is the modification safe/sound?
You simply replace your fitting with the above part number. The large flange area where the oil filter seals to the engine is the same on both bikes. I did all the research I could on the differences of the engines and oil filters and the only thing I could come up was the larger filter would last longer cause it could hold more debris. Consider this. My bandit 1200, my 87-1100, my 02-1000 all run the same small filter. How much capacity does the 750 need? The 750 was the first "race replica" bike and this big filter design must have made its way into production bikes. BTW, I have put 15,000 hard miles on the bike since changing fittings and filters.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts

i misunderstood because i thought you said that the oil filters were interchangeable. yeah, i didn't think it was that easy.

so, you have to change the "fittings." hmmm...i don't quite understand, but it's all good. changing the oil filter on these bikes was a chore, so that is why i am now running 91 750 headers on my 86 750. problem solved.

rogerlee, i agree with your logic with using the smaller oil filter, though.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

I guess fitting is not a good term. It looks more like a pipe nipple. Its what your filter screws on to. Its about an inch and a half long. Its threaded on both ends. One side matches the threads in the engine and the other matches the filter. Ck this out #39 .16591-06B00--suzuki calls it a union oil stand? its at the bottom of the picclick here

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts

ok, i get it now! so this "nipple" is an oem suzuki part? very cool. thanks for your help rogerlee! this forum rocks!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I didn't know that the threaded nipple that the filter screws onto was simply screwed into the cases. I thought it was a cast-in part. So you can just back that fitting (I'd call it a fitting) out, and screw the new one in, huh? Impressive. Did you come up with that idea yourself, Rogerlee? Or did you see it done somewhere?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

Well I could be considered a little slow, but I came up with this one. After changing oil several times and loosening the header. I thought that if that filter was just a little smaller, then it would fall through. Then the lights came on in a dark room...lol..BTW, my dealer would only stock a couple of the big filters and was often sold out. The small filters fit about every suzuki built. This is the fitting-nipple I took out of my bike. The short end goes into the engine and the long one accepts the oil filter. The new fitting-nipple will have much finer threads on the long end to accept the smaller filters.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thanks for taking the time to take a photo. I guess you could just back the fitting out of the engine case using the two-nut method you mentioned earlier. I'm trying to decide whether to do this mod, or just get a different exhaust (as I have mentioned, I think the previous owner just bunged-on whatever he had lying around, and called it a night). Decisions, decisions.

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts

My engine must already have had that nipple in it from the factory, because when I bought my first filter, the parts girl had said it was their most common filter for the gsxrs and etc when she looked up the number...

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

My engine must already have had that nipple in it from the factory, because when I bought my first filter, the parts girl had said it was their most common filter for the gsxrs and etc when she looked up the number...
Yes robben, the 1100s come with the small filter. Only the 86-87 750s came with the big ones.

·
Good 'N you?
1,068 Posts
i have a V and H full pipe and the large filter on my 750, and you CAN take the filter out without removing or even loosening the header..it's tricky but once you know the trick, it takes 2 seconds and you don't even hafta spill much oil onto your pipes..you gotta take the filter out next to the right of the pipe in front of the engine...mess with it some day, you'll be suprised

1 - 20 of 23 Posts