Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys know what\'s up with this?

Hey there, I just bought myself a 91 GSX-R 750 yesterday, and on the way home I noticed something funny about it. It has no air filters, which is part of the problem, but it seems that when I take off with my knees up against the tank, my jeans are covering up the carb or something, because it will suddenly backfire, and shut off. When I take off with my legs down, it works fine.

1) Where do I buy the air filters for this bike?
2) Can my jeans being close to the carbs really mess things up like that?

I know this may sound ridiculous, but I'm 18 and I've been riding since I was like 7 years old, this is just my first streetbike, so I'm not quite up to speed with it yet. Thanks again.

·
Farm OG
2,801 Posts
Re: Do you guys know what\'s up with this?

Get airfilters on that thing before you ride or run it again. You would be amazed at how little dust it can take to lunch a perfectly good engine.

#2 Yes, your legs can cause enough turbulence to be a problem without the stock airbox. I also have a 78 kz 650 that has pod filters, and moving my legs around can and does immediatly affect how it is running. I have never had it shut down completely, but I don't wear baggy jeans that could completely cover the bellmouths.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts