Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do SRAD 600\'s have a GPS (gear position sensor)?

I'm checking to see if my '98 GSXR 600 would have a gear position sensor? Or is it only the FI bikes that have it?

Saw a post a few days ago explaining how to build a gear indicator and thought it would be cool to try to build the circuit. If I don't have the sensor then the indicator won't work on my bike

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Re: Do SRAD 600\'s have a GPS (gear position sensor)?

I dont think the 600 has a GPS... I think it is only a sensor to tell when the bike is in N... But I am not 100% sure...

Hey, can you shoot the how to on that gear indicator over to me?? I would love to play with it... I dont really want to spend the 100 bucks on it so if I can do it for less that would be great..
Thanks...

[email protected]

John

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

This information will be usefull for guys with a GPS on there bike. I.e. SRAD 750's or GSXR FI bikes.

Original post from gixxer.com -->

Gixxer Gear Indicator post

Website reference w/ schematics -->
Gear Indicator using GPS

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts

FWIW.. I will try to remember to look on my parts bike (00 600) to see if you can put a GPS on it from a 98-99 750.. I think you can..

John

·
Registered
2,358 Posts

The digigear works off the tach and the speedo, it figures out the ratio between the two, and tells you what gear you are in. if works on anything with an electronic speedo, and electronic tach.

Your 600 just happens to have both......

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks fraggle.

I saw the adds for the Digi and that got me interested in the gear indicator but someone posted the schematics on an indicator that uses a couple of comparator chips to check the gear position sensor and display the gear.

I can build the simple (GPS dependent) circuit for a few bucks instead of buying a digi for a $100 or more to Canada.

Thanks but still wondering if the 600's had a GPS sensor? (I guess I could take my bike apart and test the wiring)

·
Registered
751 Posts

Yeapper, sounds cool. I would like to build one just so a light comes on when my bike is in 2nd gear. Since its a race bike, I could just run the lead to the blinker bulb on the display. have that little orange light on when my bike is in 2nd so while racing I dont attempt to bang down into first anymore once and ahwile.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

Good stuff.

Hey Car...if you pull it off...why not make two of them??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there,

This is a verry old post, but i am verry interested on this...

The link from upper post doesnt work (maby because it is too old), and i realy liked to know if GSXR 750 of 1996 has an Gear Position Sensor.... If yes i will try to adapt the bluegauges schematic of gear Indicator to one with numbers... I can share it too if someone interested.

Is the "GPS" wire near the velocimeter?

(sorry for my english)

Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not to bump a old thread but has anyone figured it out? I cant justify paying 100$ for a Digigear.. has anyone put a Gear Position Sensor in there SRAD600?

·
Unstable SuperMod
21,904 Posts
Not to bump a old thread but has anyone figured it out? I cant justify paying 100$ for a Digigear.. has anyone put a Gear Position Sensor in there SRAD600?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
At least you took the time to search it.

I never did play with it back in the day. I just lost interest. Sorry I dont have more for you on this.

John

·
Registered
89 Posts
there is another post with info about this aswell

here is the link to the guide http://www.bluegauges.com/gearindicatorplans.htm

i never liked the idea of just a bunch of led's so played with it on a simulation program to get a proper number showing using a priority encoder and got it working in a simulation but couldnt find the correct chips so pretty much gave up on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts