Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had several requests to do a short write up on the retro fit of the Devil can so here you go. Sorry I did not take pics throughout the proccess....It seems that I was intoxicated for the majority of the time I was working on it. Here is the original thread http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117804

This is the stock Devil pipe. Note that the lower chamber (under the bike) is plain steel. Also the brace/bracket is prestent. The end caps are also stainless as well as the rivets.

And the difference after the make over.

Start out with removing the entire unit from the bike or box.

Toss out the mounting bracket and hardware. You won't need this anymore. Due to the shorter pipe and reduced weight it is not needed to support the can any longer. This is a very good thing as the bracket is one a pain in the ass to install and two looks way too busy for the unit. Just my opinion. If you like the bracket, you can still use it with the shorter set up.

Drill out all of the rivets and punched out the back sides with a punch and hammer.

The plastic end cap has three rivets located under the "Devil" stickers, two on each side and one undernieth. Remove these in the same manner as above.

Set the removed "Devil" stickers aside so you can install them later.

Plastic end cap will pop right off.

Then removed the end caps, exposing the inners.

Remove the inner pipe that is welded to the forward most end cap and insulation.

There is a roll of insulation around the inner perferated pipe which you unroll and remove off of the inner pipe.

Measure the length you want the can to be and cut the carbon fiber housing. I used tape to mark the exact location of the cut.

Cut the CF housing using a dremmel tool. Very easy to cut through and leaves a clean edge.

Then measure and cut the inner pipe to length with a dremmel.

This is the shitty part. The end of the stock inner pipe is flarred out a little so it fits up over the forward cap. I took the cut pipe to a local muffler shop and had them flare it out a little for a good fit, as if it was the stock one. This is really hard to explain without pics, sorry.

Refit all parts except the plastic end cap to insure the lenght is good between the end caps and CF housing. No need to fit it up with the insulation inside.

Cut the insulation to length.

Once everything fits good move on to paint prep.

If you have access to a sand blaster, sandblast the endcaps and lower chamber (under the bike).

Paint with high temp BBQ paint or whatever you want. I used ceramic paint, it pays to know people in the firearms coating business.;)

Or just take the parts to a powder coater in your area and have them do it.

Okay, time to put it all together.

Wrap the inner pipe with the insulation.

Insert the end cap, inner pipe and rolled insulation into the CF housing.

Drill holes through the CF for the new rivets. I just eye balled them and it worked fine.

Line up the other end cap and slide it onto the CF housing insuring that the inner pipe is all lined up good.

Rivet all of the holes on both of the end caps.

Snap in the plastic end cap and rivet.

Replace the "Devil" stickers.

Install back on the bike.

After rereading this it seems sort of confusing without pics, again sorry about that. This is not an easy project but well worth it. Good luck.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WAYNEG601 said:
How much would you charge to do it?:D
For time, tools and parts.... for you and today only a low, low price of $400. Shit man, I don't know. This is one of those things that I just dove into. I had a pic in my mind and I knew it would look good. While I was doing it, it sucked ass, now that it's done I'm happy I did it. Who ever knew that 10hrs of my time and 4 cases of beer would have produced such an uproar.

By the way, I talked to Rob at Devil today. He said it is unlikely that Devil would ever mass produce a can like this. But........he said if there were a hundred or so emails that he could convince the fellas over in Europe do get something done. I'm guessing the cost would be much cheaper, less material, no mounting bracket, ect.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Blakester said:
Don't give out your secret bro, then everyone will have one..:D
I've never been good with secrets, I'm just getting over gonorrhea. Shhhhhhh.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dsmithgsxr said:
Between this and the Taylormade. Best 2 that I have seen. Can you get us a sound clip now? Possible some drive bys with high revs. :cheers
Lost the digital camera in the divorce. I'll put a shout-out to anyone in the Denver, Colorado area to do a quick clip for me. I'll drive to you.

This can is by far the deepest of all that I've heard in person. I can't account for the clips I've heard on GDC cause they never sound the same in real life. It is a bit ear piercing on long rides, plugs solve the problem........or louder music on the chatter box.;)

·
Registered
192 Posts
7KOPPER,
Hey, just read your thread on the mod you did on the Devil. That pipe is TIGHT! Is the Devil a s-67? I've been looking all over the net for it and can't seem to get much options on where to purchase. Where did you get yours? and if you don't mind.....how much $$? Any info would help. I ride through traffic every single day and need something to let the parking lot (210 fwy) know i'm next to them. Thanks...
Yellowrock

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.