Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Vance & Hines SS full system. this is the first time I've changed my oil on this bike so I'm wondering, before I drain the oil, if I have to take the header off to remove the filter.

thanks,
Geoff

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I have the same system on my 90. I just take one cooler line off to get the filter off.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I don't know about your V&H headers, but with the stock headers, you do not need to remove them to change the oil filter or pull the drain bolt. (At least on any gixxer that I know of)

I'd suggest you buy the Suzuki oil-filter wrench. It is relatively inexpensive, and will make the job much easier.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uhhhhh, never mind because when you change the oil you have to drain ALL the oil, therefore no oil will be left to spill out

·
Super Moderator
17,291 Posts
I got an '88 w/ the same EXST, didn't take off anything....

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
There is no other way on my 90. The filter will not come out if I don't take that line off.

There will be some oil still in that line. Not alot but some.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm not sure about your '85, but for my '88 I went with a later model filter which is a little narrower. I think it's a Fram 6018 instead of a 6016, or something like that. I think it was for a '90 or a '91. It might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for your help guys. I got it out by taking the oil line off and removing the bolt that holds the back of the exhaust to the frame. That gave me just enough play to squeeze the filter out. After spilling oil all over my headers of course

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by 88/750:
I'm not sure about your '85, but for my '88 I went with a later model filter which is a little narrower. I think it's a Fram 6018 instead of a 6016, or something like that. I think it was for a '90 or a '91. It might be worth looking into.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I made the mistake of putting a FRAM filter on a motorcycle exactly one time. I did an oil-change just before christmas on my `86 750 trying to save a few dollars, and then we got one of those warm Virginia christmas days and I went for a ride... I got all the way to the oceanfront before the filter finally came apart and stranded me... the thing swelled up like a G-D grapefruit and finally let go when I fired the bike up to go back home. I dunno why or how, and I suppose it coulda just been a one-off defective filter, but here's something else to think about:

http://www.twocreeks.net/toby/oil_filters.shtml

I figured it's worth a few extra dollars to go with the OEM filter... and on my current (`89 1100) bike I can *just* manage to squeeze the filter between the #2 and #3 exhaust tubes. If Fram never gives you any trouble, then good on ya... I'm just trying to save someone else from going through the same BS I did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts