Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
k...so...what is your take on tires for the track? When to change them....? Do I need pretty much brand new tires on the track when I get on?

Reason being is that I still think these Michelins have some life left in them. The rear tire is BARELY starting to flatten in the middle (we're talking millimeters) and the front tire is wearing well; however when you run your hand on it to feel the roundness, it's almost as though it is wearing "rigidly" practically down the middle....? It feels fine on the road (no squirrelyness). My fork seals and oil are going be changed before track day (as far as I know it's never been done and I'm at 8400 miles total on a K7. I remember Dave Moss talking about similar tire wear on a front tire being "uneven" due to possibly the fork oil needing to be changed or not enough/too much rebound/compression...my sag is set good front and rear; the front has no pogo (compression feels right) action and I really like the feel of the suspension overall on the street and the track...

The front tire has about 4K miles on it and the rear has about 2K. The shitty roads around here EAT soft tires so I've already been through one rear tire due to flattening of the center...

I know the bike needs to be tip-top for track riding and I just got my Q3s in, but I'm wondering if these Michelins will make it one more track day...here are some pictures of my tires now:

FRONT TIRE:

[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Look good to me as well.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
those chicken strips??
LOL! On the left side a bit, yes...the track I went to doesn't have very many fast leaning left turns (in fact there's only two left turn and one's a tight hairpin following an immediate left corner that I REALLY need to work on hitting correctly)...let alone the roads in my tiny town have NO fast corners really...

Thanks for the input guys!

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Chicken strips don't matter. Eric Wood, professional racer and Penguin School head coach, came off track up at Loudon with 1/2" chicken strips on each side after doing a 1:11 lap.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Those tires look just fine. The best part about riding on the track is that you get to wear the sides of the tires, so they look round again!

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Those tires look just fine. The best part about riding on the track is that you get to wear the sides of the tires, so they look round again!
Huh?

The best part of riding on the track is learning to go fast in a safe environment.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Look fine. I'd probably put the Q3 on just coz I heard they're awesome.

I "may" put them on for piece of mind, because I really intend to try and push "hard" this time out...well...as hard as I can manage to maneuver...

Now that's an interesting way of putting it...never thought about it in this context...

Huh?

The best part of riding on the track is learning to go fast in a safe environment.

:cheers

Just to readdress my rear tire...I've been riding since I've last posted these pics. The rear tire is slightly flattening in the center...at what point does this become "dangerous?" Still rides and tips in fine on a lean, but as speed increases I wonder...

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Tires are cheap insurance. If you are the least bit unsure, get new ones. Mental confidence has a lot to do with this sport.

·
Master Debater
587 Posts
Those tires are still looking fresh and new! I wouldn't think twice about it! Don't run them with such high pressures this time out though. For PP3's 32 front and 32 rear is a great starting point and should provide more than enough grip for your level. Looking forward to seeing your next track vid. Remember to always stay light on your bars, you don't have to force the bike over by constantly pushing on your handlebars, keep your arms loose and elbows bent, turn your head toward your apexes and move your upper body toward them. After braking maintain even throttle on entry and gently roll on the throttle as you pass the apex to stand the bike up on exit (unless there is a double apex where you will roll on after the second). You do that and it will become apparent how much faster you can go through each corner. This is something you should always work on. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
While I do agree that those tires are fine, as a beginner confidence is important. So if he has lost confidence our doubts his tires, he should change them, even if you or I would ride on them still.

Hell, I did a track day in Texas once in 105° temps, on a K5 1000, or used regular pilot powers, and still was running advanced group times.

·
Master Debater
587 Posts
While I do agree that those tires are fine, as a beginner confidence is important. So if he has lost confidence our doubts his tires, he should change them, even if you or I would ride on them still.
Agreed, if those tires are truly a mind fuck :twitch than change 'em... When you are ripping around the track at the advanced level traction will likely be your main concern but right now you have lots of other things to focus on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts