Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Suzuki Gsxr 1000
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow riders. Can anybody tell me with surety that I can tune my bike without having to flash it? I have a 2019 Gixxer 1000 with an aftermarket exhaust installed. I was told by one shop that I can’t tune it without it being flashed. And 2 other shops never mentioned that I have to flash it in order to tune it. (Yes I have a PCV by the way) I just want it tuned so it can run right. I don’t care to flash it being the power is more than enough for me already.

·
Registered
2017 GSXR 1000
9 Posts
I have the same bike with a PCV, full alpa T exhaust and a (servo buddy) in place of the old servo. just download and install their map from dynojet and your bike will run fine.

·
Registered
2019 Suzuki Gsxr 1000
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the same bike with a PCV, full alpa T exhaust and a (servo buddy) in place of the old servo. just download and install their map from dynojet and your bike will run fine.
ok thanks man. I was worried about that. I didn’t wanna void my warranty either, since flashing the bike voids it! Appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
2019 Suzuki Gsxr 1000
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just curious, do you know how much HP gains you got out of it from just the exhaust and tune?

·
Registered
2017 GSXR 1000
9 Posts
Idk for sure without putting her on a dyno but from what I read it should be around 200hp. I owned 3 1000s and they preform plenty for me stock but I always have to get full pipes😋.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Short Answer - You don't have to flash, but it won't be a complete tune.

Long Answer
- Yes the PCV will allow you to adjust and override stock fueling. So the ECU doesn't NEED to be flashed. However there is more control in flashing the ECU directly. Probably the most annoying item with regards to drivability is the Injectors being shut off completely when the throttle is closed. This causes the bike to have a very "Snatchy" on / off throttle behavior. I believe (but am not sure) that using the PCV alone will NOT allow this behavior to be corrected. It has to be corrected at an ECU level.

In addition the Electronic Throttle Valves are limited at full throttle. Even if your hand opens the throttle fully, the ETV's can be limited to around 65%. Again, I don't think this can be over ridden with the PCV alone. It will require an ECU level change, ie Flash. This will severely limit peak horsepower, potentially by 10 to 20 hp (maybe more, just a guess) in the upper rev ranges.

So in a way, especially on an American Bike with the ETV limit, one might legitimately say "the only way to really tune the bike is with a flash". Although this is only partially true.

Others might chime in as I am no expert and everything I stated above is subject to correction. I have used PC's and have flashed my 1000 with Woolich Software. However my experience was with a PCII from a 2006 FJR1300. So I am a little out of date on the PCV. Not sure if the PCV allows ECU level changes, but I would think not.

Video Explaining ETV Throttle Limit

·
Registered
155 Posts
No, you don't. But, you should. PCV only does two things. A flash, does dozens, including many things that can't be touched through simple PCV tuning. A PCV for fueling, while flash tuning, is the best way to quickly dial in the fueling on the dyno. Send your ecu in to 2 Wheel DynoWorks, they've built flashes to include the fueling for all sorts of options and exhausts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
For the 2017-2021 GSXR 1000 you may gain about 8-10 more HP (at the rear wheel) using PCV alone with a slip on and stock exhaust, if you really want to unleash what Suzuki was forced to cork due to EPA standards you'll need a full exhaust and an ECU flash to remove the restrictions placed on the bike (and there are a few) The Fuel/Air mix you can adjust by either including it in your ECU flash or by using your PCV. I know when my warranty runs out I'll be adding a full exhaust, removing the restrictions with a flash and adding a PCV (easier to tune then the ECU fuel adjustments) for gains of up to 30 HP at the rear wheel. I seen a few dyno shops getting close to 200HP AT THE REAR WHEEL doing it this way.

·
Registered
39 Posts
For the 2017-2021 GSXR 1000 you may gain about 8-10 more HP (at the rear wheel) using PCV alone with a slip on and stock exhaust, if you really want to unleash what Suzuki was forced to cork due to EPA standards you'll need a full exhaust and an ECU flash to remove the restrictions placed on the bike (and there are a few) The Fuel/Air mix you can adjust by either including it in your ECU flash or by using your PCV. I know when my warranty runs out I'll be adding a full exhaust, removing the restrictions with a flash and adding a PCV (easier to tune then the ECU fuel adjustments) for gains of up to 30 HP at the rear wheel. I seen a few dyno shops getting close to 200HP AT THE REAR WHEEL doing it this way.
Thats some serious numbers youre claiming there. Nice! I just have a Alpha T slip-on currently. Im in talks with Brocks Performance for a Stock2Brock upgrades with an ECU tune. Where in Canada are you

·
Registered
2019 Suzuki Gsxr 1000
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
with out flashing the PC will turn off on decel from what ever rpm down to around 3800 rpm(the PC gets it power from the injectors so if they are not on it shuts off). so you will not be able to fix any of the drivability issues with the stock bike

jason

·
Registered
2019 Suzuki Gsxr 1000
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
with out flashing the PC will turn off on decel from what ever rpm down to around 3800 rpm(the PC gets it power from the injectors so if they are not on it shuts off). so you will not be able to fix any of the drivability issues with the stock bike

jason
So I won’t be able to get rid of The throttle Lag that I have right now? When I accelerate, it takes 2-3 seconds for the engine to fully accelerate.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thats some serious numbers youre claiming there. Nice! I just have a Alpha T slip-on currently. Im in talks with Brocks Performance for a Stock2Brock upgrades with an ECU tune. Where in Canada are you
Vancouver Island , BC
Yes they are serious numbers. You will also find the Kawasaki ZX10RR will get similar numbers with exhaust and derestricting the ECU's. Not a lot of other bikes have these restrictions placed on them so those numbers would be hard to achieve. The new GSXR butterfly valves start to close at 10,800 RPM removing upwards of 60% hp in that range to redline, an ECU flash removes that restriction. Now I've heard doing this with the stock exhaust can melt your Catalytic but I can't confirm this its just something I've read. Thats why I'm waiting to change my whole exhaust before flashing my ECU.

·
Registered
2020 GSXR 1000
16 Posts
Idk for sure without putting her on a dyno but from what I read it should be around 200hp. I owned 3 1000s and they preform plenty for me stock but I always have to get full pipes😋.
These bikes are not getting 200hp to wheel even with flash. Most results have shown 185- low 190's. The only time anyone got 200 or more was really dialing in the tune and changing air filter adding race gas etc. I this Moore Mafia has one putting out like 700hp but I believe that bike has added turbos with engine work.

·
Registered
2020 GSXR 1000
16 Posts
Slip on's do not add that much power maybe that with slip on and tune. you need a full system without anything to get at least 8-10 more HP. Then if you flash it you will get into an additional 10-15 HP looking at a total of 15+ added HP.

·
Registered
2020 GSXR 1000
16 Posts
ok thanks man. I was worried about that. I didn’t wanna void my warranty either, since flashing the bike voids it! Appreciate the feedback.
I know everywhere is different but I was told directly by the dealer that flashing the ECU will not void warranty. They stated that Suzuki would have to prove the failure for whatever component was directly affected by the tune. My dealer also does tuning so maybe that plays a part.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I know everywhere is different but I was told directly by the dealer that flashing the ECU will not void warranty. They stated that Suzuki would have to prove the failure for whatever component was directly affected by the tune. My dealer also does tuning so maybe that plays a part.
well that is untrue i am a suzuki dealer - suzuki now has the ability though their SDS system to know if it it flashed and it will void the warranty

jason

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you plan on having the bike for several years, just do a full system and flash. 2wheeled dynoworks did mine, mail in flash, under $200. (There are others here on the site that will do the flash, too, and I'm sure that they are just as good) I put on an Arrow header as it links up to the yosh alpha can I already had (slight modification to make it fit) and it was a world of difference. The bike is FAST now. It runs great, on off throttle is perfect. The bike even sounds better with being a little quieter. Do it right the first time, and never worry about it again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts