Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
5,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike ('02) won't take any throttle and the STPS sounds and feels like a can of rocks when the ignition is turned on. Feck. Damn embarrassing to borrow a Duc. They are certainly easy to ride fast, but the 90º "perfect primary balance" mill has a heap of secondary vibration. Enough to fatigue you hands in about ten minutes.

Anyone else had the STPS take a shit?

·
Banned
5,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was tempted to just take the plates out at the track, but it was getting late and I only needed a couple more quick sessions to get it out of my system. Would it be easier to just remove the plates and forget the thing even exists? Let it fail to rotate the plateless shaft and get on with my life? What are the tuning implications? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I have removed my secondary throttle valves and the rod that holds them.
If you are looking for hp gains then it is necessary to remove the rod as well.
Without a re-map the throttle felt worse in a spongy kind of way bellow 5,000rpm above that it had noticeably better response.
I used it for a while like this then added four 750ss and to took it to the dyno which showed a gain of 8hp, this is without a map.
I had the FI light on for a while before I figured out how to align the STPS to make it go way. Having the STPS FI light on
didn't seem to affect the fuelling in any way.

If the STPS motor has died then removing the butterfly valves and not caring about FI light is a quick solution.
The motor cycles the sensor through its range and if it doesn't see the correct resistance changes it throws up the FI light.
Thus it would be a bit difficult to fool the ECU without the motor working.
Although you might as well remove the rod and then later have a map made.

Yosh provide a plastic doodad to lock the butterfly valves in their fully open position. Their racing harness also has no inputs for the
STPS. We can assume from that that it has no real benefits in a racing situation?

·
Banned
5,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Funny thing is I never got a FI light. The motor cycles but sounds and feels rough during the start up routine. I haven't ripped into yet to make certain it's the stps but it seems the most likely suspect since this noise is new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts