Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Ditchard the High Maintenance Squirrel
60,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You wouldn't think so, but obviously this is necessary.

There are several ways to remove the old grips if you plan on reusing them.

- Pry them up and spray WD-40 between the grip and the tube, then work them free.
- Pry them up and poke an air line with a small nozzle inside and expand them.

BUT, if you wanted to keep the new grips intact, then why are you changing them in the first place? Grips are cheap. Therefore, the easiest and fastest way is to simply cut them off with a razor blade/box cutter.

- Once the old grips are removed, clean the tube. Remove any old glue residue and dirt.
- If you are planning on using glue, once you put the glue on...put the grips on quickly before it dries. I have found that hair spray works well. It is wet and will provide a certain degree of lubrication for the new grips going on...then will dry sticky and hard.
- Put the new grips on the end of the tube and slowly work them up. Don't push on them from the end only because they will likely roll and end up looking like shit.
- Once the grips are installed, quickly orientate any designs/letters on the grips to the desired position before the adhesive begins to harden.
- Install the bar ends/sliders.
- Turn the throttle and make sure that it returns to the neutral position when it is released. On some aftermarket grips (Progrip) i have had to trim the rubber back on the end because the bar end was too tight and wouldn't allow the throttle to return to the neutral position. I do not have to go into details on how that could be bad.
- According to the instructions, you are supposed to allow the adhesive to dry for 24hrs before riding the bike. I have never waited longer than one hour...but that choice is yours.

Please feel free to add any comments or your experiences. I do not have a manual in front of me and this is all off the top of my head. I am sure that i left something out.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Yep, a razor blade is the best method. Also, after installation add two or three loops of safety wire and ride immediately if you want.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,826 Posts
A little tip if you are using grip glue. Squeeze the glue into the inside of the grip, then place the grip between your palms, squish it and roll it back and forth between your palms a few times, this will evening coat the entire inside of the grip with glue. If you do this quickly the carrier solvent in the glue will act as a lubricant and allow the grip to easily slide right on.

I did this with Renthal Grip Glue and the grip slid right on no problem.

·
Banned
4,498 Posts
why would we make this a sticky we will just have to add it to the diy sticky thats already there

hey TJ post it in the thread and greg will add it next time he is online

·
Registered
453 Posts
The throttle tube side on most stock GSXR grips is a bit more involved... Also, you can use contact cleaner as an alternative to wd40 (watch the paint). Regardless, use contact cleaner to clean off the wd40 before installing the new grips.

With the stock grip and throttle tube, there are built in ridges (for lack of a better word) that poitively locate the stock grip in place. Usually a combination of contact cleaner and air works best if you want to save the grip. If you don't care, just cut it off. To put a new aftermarket grip on though, you will need to remove the throttle tube and carefully remove the ridges (one on the small end, and one on the big end). A razor blade or knife works well, as does a grinding wheel (bench grinder). There may also be some ridges in the middle of the tube, but they should not be a problem for the new grip.

When installing the throttle tube grip, make sure to keep glue from getting between the throttle tube and the clip on / handlebar. A layer of electrical tape works well for this, or you can try to get the grip on with the tube off the bike.

Hope this helps...

·
Premium Member
18,689 Posts
larger side goes on the throttle :) One of the grips should have a larger diameter. Also you can use safety wire to wire the grips on on each end of the grip, helps to hold them where you have them and keep them in tact. Many racers do it...

Biggest thing is remember the larger diameter grips goes on the throttle side!

·
Registered
12,817 Posts
To put a new aftermarket grip on though, you will need to remove the throttle tube and carefully remove the ridges (one on the small end, and one on the big end). A razor blade or knife works well, as does a grinding wheel (bench grinder). There may also be some ridges in the middle of the tube, but they should not be a problem for the new grip.
I've heard of some people doing that but I never removed either ridge and I've never had any problems. The larger ridge on the end near the triple tree does leave a small gap b/c you can't push the grip all the way on but it's barely noticable.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i got some pro grips and both are the same size... Whats this bigger one goes on the throttle stuff?? Other brands maybe?

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
the hole in the grips should be different sizes, not the grips themselves.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hope this thread is still being looked at. Quick question. How would one go about safety wiring their grips? What about a glue + wire combo?

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
Alot of people loop .020 safety wire around the grips, usually in two or three places, one loop in the middle, one on each end. Even if you safety wire the grip you still have to use the glue. If you are using your bike mostly for street use you really don't need to safety wire the grips.

I used hairspray on my grips and the are rock solid (it's even been ridden in the rain a few times).

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I have a set of Driven grips that i got free with a purchase from MotoMummy that i am putting on my bike.

I have the left side on, Questin is - Do i have to grind off the ridges that are on the throttle tube ? This is my first time changing them obviously.

Thanks

·
Registered
471 Posts
I always cut off grips with a razor or scissors. Then spray small amount of spray paint in the grip slide it on set it where I want it and add 3 strips of safety wire. 1 out side 1 middle and 1 inner. Gives great piece of mind and I have never had a grip move on dirt bike or street bike in 8 years

·
Registered
707 Posts
i used a butter knife dipped in liquid soap. squeeze it between the tube and the rubber make my way around the tube. works well actually.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I race motorcross and the easy and quick way that i have learnd over the years is to cut the old grips off and put electrical tape on the bars where the grips will be going. Then sprinkle a little gasoline in the grip and slide it right on. You have a few seconds to line everything up but once its on it doesnt come off until you cut it off. the rubber and the electrical tape fuse together and become one. Works great and no problems with any of my grips on the MX bikes

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
I use spray paint. slick when wet, glues when dry. and as Motomummy said, they are TWO different sizes.

For those using hair spray. Some grips are naturally a bit tighter than others.... if you happen to get some that are slighly more loose, and ride in any sort of wet weather, hairspray can loosen up in the rain (I have had it happen on an MX bike) and that is dangerous. I recommend NOT using hairspray, and using something that will not be affected by water

1 - 20 of 21 Posts