Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 354 Posts

· Premium Member
7,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DIY HID Retrofit E46 Bosch Projector D2s Bulb Write Up

This is not an easy task, not for the:wacko or those who don't know how to take things apart. this is a long hard task
i would not recommend you do this if you dont know how to get your hands dirty. If you don't know how to take things apart and put them back together, do not attempt. If you take your bike to the dealer for oil changes, do not attempt. I Mean It.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
So far that i know and have seen pics of Projectors that work are.

BMW E39 Projector

BMW E46 Projector

BMW Z4 Projector

Acura Tsx Projector
Nissan 350z Projector

Mitsubishi Evo 8 Projector

Infiniti FX 35 Projector:

S2k on Top/Audi A4 Bixenon Bottom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tools
Heat Gun Professional Grade. not your girlfriends hair dryer
Hot Glue Gun
Black Glue Sticks
Dremel with a sharp bit to cut.

#2 Phillips
small flat head
Allen keys
12mm socket, extension , 1/4" ratchet and 12mm wrench
Good Mechanical/Fabrication Knowledge

Parts
E46 Bosch Projector
D2S Bulb
D2S Ballast
Black Spray Paint
Perma Sealer High Temp
Black Long Funnel
metal straps
Auto part

the screws that and pinch brackets that come with the straps.

Step 1
Remove upper entire upper cowling from bike. 2 main bolts located at faring stay. 3 bolts on top of each faring. 4 push pins under the cowling. and disconnect the main harness
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Step 2
Place complete upper cowling on a table on top of a soft blanket.
disassemble all of it to get to the headlight. remove wire harness
remove fairing stay, air ducts and covers. and upper part of fairing with windscreen attached to it. remove mirrors if you have them
get to the Head Light. this pic shows just the headlight completed all ready.
Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Auto part Automotive exterior

Step 3
Get the Heat Gun. put it on HIGH for me it was level 8. turn on and let it warm up. there are 3 screws on top of the back of the head light take them out. MAKE SURE you remove the 4 rubbers were the plastic faring mounts to.
now get the heat gun and move it around the edges of the seam. were the plastic glass meets the plastic housing. i kept it about 1" away. moving it all the way around. not holding in one spot. if you do you will melt and ruin your head lamp. keep heating it up it will get hot so hot that it will burn your hands if your not careful. i did this for about 5 mins and was able to pry open the clear cover off the housing.
Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Auto part Automotive fog light

Step 4

now you need to separate the headlight chrome parts from the assembly
unscrew the 2 adjusting bolts until they are fully released from the plastic part that holds them in place. now look into the assembly. there is a plastic swivel clip that holds the parts together, using a flat screwdriver press the tabs in and release the 2 parts
Auto part

· Premium Member
7,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: DIY HID Retro Fit E46 Bosch Projector D2s Bulb

Step 5
now that you have the chrome parts out time to get the dremel out and start cutting. but before disassemble the chrome part from the metal projector bracket housing. the red indicates approximately how much you are going to cut out. i would cut a little bit off and fit the projector in there, to make it a tight fit. Auto part Automotive lighting Headlamp

this is just showing where it will sit.
the projector itself will be attached form the back of the chrome housing.

okay here is were it gets tricky. what you are going to do is wedge the projector in between the metal bracket and the plastic housing.
this is not the picture of the actual outcome. i did not get a picture.
i took this apart 3 times to get it to fit perfectly. i mean i took it all apart from the bike because it did not fit right and it was incorrect. so i had to start over. and make adjustments.

remove material from housing. so that you can place the projector in between that and the metal bracket that you see here.
Auto part Automotive engine part

if you do it the way its show it will be wrong and the cluster will not bolt down.

those metal brackets straps need to be bent to shape so that the projector rest in front of that metal bracket, and you have those straps attached with the metal clips like what i have on the picture.

use the hot glue gun and glue the the projector in place then attache the straps. once those straps are attached you bend them up so you can put the projector in front of that metal bracket once its in front, bend those metal straps over the metal bracket. it will be a tight fit. place the chrome cover on top and check clearances. once its all perfect fit. bolt it together for a test fit.

the projector should rest on the metal bracket with about 1/16" to 1/32" resting on the stock metal bracket. centered in between them.
once that is done. you can leave it alone or fab up a cover for it

get the black funnel and cut the part out that you think will fit around the projector to create a housing for it.

Tire Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Pipe Auto part

finish off the edges so its nice and clean with no sharp marks.
set it aside.

now take apart the entire projector, 4 bolts, and one C clip holding the lens.
paint the metal part black.
paint the chrome housing black.
let it dry over night, don't be inpatient like me, i have a entire can of black in mine,

· Premium Member
7,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Subcompact car

Note the hole in the top portion of the head light is the wrong size, final result was bigger. like i said i took it apart a few times to get it right. Parts being painted black. i taped off the inside of the projector aswell leaving only the outside edges showing these will be black.

now once its dry put it together. the last part u add is the funnel cover you made for the projector, i used High temp sealant and let dry
it should look like this now.

once its done use the heat gun to heat up the edges of were the plastic clear cover will go on. heat up the edges until the glue melts, move the gun around and heat the cover as well. once its all nice and hot. press it together.
Light Headlamp Automotive lighting Personal protective equipment Auto part

start putting it back together now.
Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Auto part Automotive exterior

Helmet Personal protective equipment Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper

· Premium Member
7,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
on the gauge cluster you will cut some little plastic pieces off so that when u add the D2S connector it dose not hit
you can see what i cut off here
Rim

re install the upper cowling on the bike
Personal protective equipment Red Automotive lighting Helmet Automotive exterior

install your ballast. i put mine under the bottom triple with zip ties.
put everything back but the bottom cover on the cowling.
you need to adjust the lights, left/right up/ down.

turn on the ignition and see it come to life.:punk:punk:punk
Wood Metal

Black Light Night Sky Lighting

Light Night Sky Automotive lighting Lighting

· Premium Member
7,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pictures are blurry i was in a rush to snap them
Light Night Sky Midnight Darkness

Night Light Sky Asphalt Lighting

Sharp Cut off
Night Sky Light Asphalt Street light

in the path of the lignt below.
Electronics Technology Electronic device

NO GLARE!! from above the cut off.
Light Lighting Darkness Incandescent light bulb Automotive lighting

Over all light out put is significantly much much much much better the pictures dont do justice, i did not edit them in PS or any of that.
if you are local to So.Cal you can see my bike rolling the streets of So.Cal

for the high beam the stock projector housing works good. it will scatter the light everywhere and light everything up, tree tops and everything. lol no need to drive around with it on all the time, but it works great when doing night canyon runs. just drop in your H9 bulb and ballast and enjoy.

· Registered
255 Posts
try using jb weld to hold the shourd to the projector. Good job, I did a retrofit for my bike too. My shourd is not the greatest looking thing in the world but i will improve upon it later on. I opted for a single project with bi-xenon function which replaced the highbeam projector. That way I didnt have to deal with clearence issues.

· Registered
55 Posts
sick! i shall be doing this over the winter when i dont ride my bike! btw how long did it take you?

· Premium Member
7,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1st day was about 6 hours, i stoped at midnight and everything was torn apart, just fitting parts, 2nd day was about 5 hours, put back together and test fit, rode for a day with the cluster not bolted down. and the last day was about 4 hours to get everything to fit nicely and not be sticking out. so 15 hours total time spent, it was mainly R&D, i could do a head light retrofit in about 6 hours start to finish now. if not less

i can get to the head light off the bike and open in under 20mins. lol

· Registered
22 Posts
This is one I just finished up, its a projector out of a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 8. Picture is just for reference. I would not recommend using one due to the sheer size of the unit its too long, I had to cut away a section of the upper stay for the plug to fit. Over all took me about 2 days to complete. Ill get more pictures up on later on.

· Registered
22 Posts
you said that the evo projector is to long...what do you think is to long? i just picked up a pair of fx35 projectors.......wonder if those are to long
I have a pair of those as well in my garage, I believe those are too tall because of the electric motor that is on the bottom of that style projector. I would use the E46 projector that is displayed here, or one from a TSX. I plan on getting rid of this headlight and doing a TSX retrofit in the future. I just have to find another flawless GSXR headlight to put it in.

· Registered
45 Posts
this might be a dumb question but where did you get the projector, bulb, and ballast from. i plan on doing this over winter and need to start ordering parts soon but i am not quite sure where to order from

thanks ahead of time:punk

· Premium Member
7,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
this might be a dumb question but where did you get the projector, bulb, and ballast from. i plan on doing this over winter and need to start ordering parts soon but i am not quite sure where to order from

thanks ahead of time:punk
you can check salvage yards, and auto dismantler's, ebay, and other forums for parts for sale.

· Registered
45 Posts
2.5 inch or 3 inch projector? thanks again!:punk

· Registered
1 Posts
Looks great!

Would you do this for other members, if they shipped their headlight to you?
What would the cost be for all parts (minus the HID kit) and labour?

Cheers! : )
+1 on that.

· Registered
1 Posts
What's up to everyone here. This is my first post.
I'm doing this retrofit on my 07 gixxer 6. I'm having a little problem with taking apart the headlight housing. The problem is with the adjustment screws. I'm not able to unscrew it completely out of the plastic piece. It seems to just spin but not come out completely. Any suggestions?
I'm using a TSX Projector. I'm planning to machine a custom bracket for it. I work in a machine shop so I have access to alot to mills and lathes.

Thanks in advance

1 - 20 of 354 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.