Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to share my bad experience with this product. I purchased this air filter (Sprint P08) for my 2017 GSXR 1000 and have used for about 2000 miles. The bike is seldom used and currently has a total of 2500 miles, never ridden on any dirt roads and always stored in a garage.

Unfortunately when I went to service the air filter recently, I discovered the inside of my air box coated in a thin layer of dust. The amount of dirt being let in by this premium filter marketed for street use is simply unacceptable. I’ve never experienced such an issue with any other brand of air filters including OEM.

Upon closer examination, the filter’s poor build quality became alarmingly apparent. The attached pictures clearly shows an uneven molding of the filter’s sealing surface. Adding to my growing concern are the numerous threads from customers experiencing the same thing. This quality issue is not just isolated to this particular model and it appears to be affecting other brands of bikes as well. I’ve provided some pictures to help illustrate my predicament and I pray that no long-term engine damage has been done. I definitely won’t be recommending this brand to people I know.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No Sprint specifically states their polyester filters are not meant to be oiled like your typical cotton or foam filters. That was kinda the selling point for me, the ability to simply clean with compressed air and reuse. I've always stuck with OEM paper filters in the past but Sprint's marketing with the University of Wales conducting a study swayed me. I guess the study wasn't peer reviewed :unsure: Learned my lesson but it's still disappointing to know that the $38 stock filter is noticeably better in build quality compared to this $100+ aftermarket filter.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
they are a RACE filter - that means they keep birds, turtles and small children out of your engine - want more filter get a street one or stock
  • these are made for absolutely the most air flow possible not to filter the small particles in your pics.
  • there is not a difference you can feel on a 1000cc bike anyway.
  • i do not sell these to street customers

jason

·
Registered
'21 RSV4 Factory; '21 Ducati StreetFighter V4s; '20 Suzuki GSX-R1000R
88 Posts
Opening larger holes in the filter material is bound to let dust through. The idea of no oil is great, but to me it was the reason I went with a MWR WSBK filter instead.

Over the years I've used many filters that need oiled and cleaned so it was no big deal to stay with that type. A little less performance for a bit more piece of mind, even in my track only bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
they are a RACE filter - that means they keep birds, turtles and small children out of your engine - want more filter get a street one or stock
  • these are made for absolutely the most air flow possible not to filter the small particles in your pics.

jason

jason
Appreciate the feedback Jason, your insight is always welcomed. When I initially purchased the filter I went with the standard P08 filter since it was marketed for street use not the P08 F1-85 or P16 race filters. I’m guessing the main issues is the filter not sealing up correctly around the edges due to the questionable job Sprint did on its molding. Well at least it did it’s job in keeping small children and turtles out of my air box 😂

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Opening larger holes in the filter material is bound to let dust through. The idea of no oil is great, but to me it was the reason I went with a MWR WSBK filter instead.

Over the years I've used many filters that need oiled and cleaned so it was no big deal to stay with that type. A little less performance for a bit more piece of mind, even in my track only bike.
Yeah I totally agree but I guess I fell for the marketing hype. The study performed by a credible a university highlighted the polyester filter media used was weaved at a much tighter density compared to the cotton filter types. However. I think this is more of a sealing issue around the filter’s edges due to the poor job Sprint did on its moldings. If you look around on other forums you’ll see other users having similar issues with sealing. The MWR filter you’re using I’m sure is advertised as a race filter and I’m willing to bet it doesn’t let this much junk into your air box? I’m also very familiar with oil type air filters as I’ve used the foam types for years on my motocross bikes with out any issue.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have the higher end $285 model sprint filter, just cleaned it the first time after about 2000 miles. Did not see any dust inside. Although mine is not banged up all the way around like yours.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Reactions: MarkPierson

·
Registered
446 Posts
$285 air filter? In the US w/ USD?
This is just the element that goes in the OEM hosing, right?

$285? SMH LOL
Nothing but the best.. And the best is pricey. My bike has one helleva zing though

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yeah I totally agree but I guess I fell for the marketing hype. The study performed by a credible a university highlighted the polyester filter media used was weaved at a much tighter density compared to the cotton filter types. However. I think this is more of a sealing issue around the filter’s edges due to the poor job Sprint did on its moldings. If you look around on other forums you’ll see other users having similar issues with sealing. The MWR filter you’re using I’m sure is advertised as a race filter and I’m willing to bet it doesn’t let this much junk into your air box? I’m also very familiar with oil type air filters as I’ve used the foam types for years on my motocross bikes with out any issue.

That study by the University of Wales (" Air Filter Element Flow Analysis ") did ZERO!!!!!!...... Filtration Analysis only air flow rate analysis.

As quoted from the papers investigation conclusions " However none of these tests included any filtration analysis "

Also in Sprint Filters OWN sales brochure it states on its claimed 93.13% Filtration Efficiency and I quote " It is to be pointed out that tests have been carried out using water instead of air " ... WTF!!!

It's Primary Function is to filter AIR not WATER...... and it's primary sales pitch claims of 93.13% filtration efficiency was carried out filtering water. What a Joke...

They haven't done a proper air filtration test as the OEM paper air filter manufactures get tested by, as they are very expensive, and it would fail miserably on fine dust, which paper filters excel at.

Brocks tested the Sprint Filter when the 2017 was first released with his hundreds of dynos, and it made 2/5th's of fark all difference in power increase. All it does is make your wallet alot lighter.

I'd chuck that Sprint Filter... In Da Bin......

You can't beat the OEM paper filter for filtration efficiency bar none.

·
Premium Member
7,441 Posts
No Sprint specifically states their polyester filters are not meant to be oiled like your typical cotton or foam filters. That was kinda the selling point for me, the ability to simply clean with compressed air and reuse. I've always stuck with OEM paper filters in the past but Sprint's marketing with the University of Wales conducting a study swayed me. I guess the study wasn't peer reviewed :unsure: Learned my lesson but it's still disappointing to know that the $38 stock filter is noticeably better in build quality compared to this $100+ aftermarket filter.

spray it, it will catch more fine particulates, flow will reduce some obviously, nature of the beast, want filtration go with stock, air flow go with race, can't have both

·
Registered
446 Posts
By the look of those pics, "best" is the last word I would use to describe sprint air filters........
Those pics looks exactly like my old BMC race filter regarding the seal around the edges. The sprint filter I picked up has none of those imperfections, I chalked it up to spending more money got a better product but it seems to be a common thing among the various brands, I guess I just got lucky with mine. Crap quality control I guess. And when you look at the chart graph thing that shows air flow compared to its competitors, the race sprint looks like a sweet deal. Braaaaap.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the higher end $285 model sprint filter, just cleaned it the first time after about 2000 miles. Did not see any dust inside. Although mine is not banged up all the way around like yours.

I have that filter as well and have zero issues at all with anything in the airbox. THe regular PO-8 is not designed to have perfect filtration due to its race-only use. Ducati used the sprint filter stock on their bike so that would show that it works as advertised.

·
Registered
177 Posts
No issues with mine in Florida going through construction areas. Check mine every 500 miles. Only thing I don’t like is the price and the build quality doesn’t justify the price tag. All the bikes I’ve had K&N Street filter seemed to be the best even over the race version but got sold into the sprint.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm experiencing the same thing with my 2022 gsxr1000r. I can see the same amount of dust in the airbox. I'm gonna cut my losses and go back to stock. I live in Az and dust is obviously super common. Anyone wanna buy my sprint p08 185? Lol

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'm experiencing the same thing with my 2022 gsxr1000r. I can see the same amount of dust in the airbox. I'm gonna cut my losses and go back to stock. I live in Az and dust is obviously super common. Anyone wanna buy my sprint p08 185? Lol

This once again confirms... the only good place for a Sprint Air Filter is...... In Da Bin......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts