Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I have been doing a little here and a little there, mostly doing small fiddly things like throttle cables, rebuilding the carbs, finishing up the rear brake, etc... I also finally started digging into the wiring, in doing so I needed to mount components under the seat. To build mounts for the electrics first had to determine how I'm going to mount the rear cowl. To determine how to mount the cowl I need to finish the aluminum cowl. To finish the cowl I need to mount the fairing so I can make sure everything lines up and is proportional.

so basically to start the wiring I have to buy a windscreen. :rolleyes:
IMG_0706.JPG

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Front fairing is sorted, I used 1/4 turn entrapped Dzus fasteners for that race vibe. I will do the final trim once the tail is finished. got the new design of the tail pretty developed as well. Gonna move it to aluminum soon.

IMG_0779.JPG IMG_0718.JPG

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
yes fairing is carbon fiber. I left the plastic on the screen to protect it from grinding dust.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I haven't posted an update in a while but i have been chipping away at the aluminum tail. ill let the pictures do the talking. Never done anything like this so its going slow but I'm getting close. Im only using hand tools for the shaping.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
impressive! i'm really liking the solo tail section and figure that you might be onto something if you can make more of them to sell.

keep up the good work!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Thanks. Considering how tedious this proving to be I doubt I'd ever make a profit selling them. Unless someone is interested in a $2000 solo seat, Lol!

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
309 Posts
Thanks. Considering how tedious this proving to be I doubt I'd ever make a profit selling them. Unless someone is interested in a $2000 solo seat, Lol!
Hahaha, isn't that how it goes, you make/do something and your mates want to hire you to do one for them. I had a friend recently come take a look at the paint job I did on my '87 1100 and he's like how much money do you have into this, I said about $200-$250, and he says man can I hire you to paint my bike, not understanding that I had probably 20+ hours in prep/paint/sanding time in it, even at a very cheap rate of $50/hr, that's well over $1,000 in labor, lol. Time is money unless we are doing it for ourselves. ?

·
Registered
Accurate Butt Dyno
309 Posts
What model Tig are you working with?

I've been on the fence about pulling the trigger on one, sure are handy to have, My Lincoln 180 can only do so much, and aluminum is not one of those things. I have an old Comet Arc that a friend wants to buy off of me, thinking about taking the proceeds from that and putting towards a Tig and argon tank.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I have a Eastwood TIG 200 that I bought about 6 years ago. Its been a great unit. IIRC it was like $650 at the time. I taught myself how to weld with it, and have burned lot of rod. My only gripes are the regulator and foot pedal that came with it were pretty cheesy. I upgraded both, most of the parts are standards so you can get aftermarket torches / pedals.. etc. Plus upgrading your regulator al;lows you to use the cheap one as a back-purge regulator if you ever do stainless. I didn't buy into the lincoln/miller hype because those units are comprised almost entirely of components that are manufactured in China as well. I have used standard welding units and I think the inverters have a much more stable arc at low amps on AC.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
This is getting further and further away from a dirt-bag build in ethos, but I'm still very close to the $1000 budget because I have been offsetting costs by selling parts that I'm not using. Its funny how you cannot get rid of a complete engine for nearly free, but by breaking it down I have easily made $500+ listing parts on ebay. I have not been greedy on prices, I have always listed the parts to be the cheapest listing so they sell quicker.

That being said, this Acewell gauge was the cheapest and easiest way to get a tach and speedo on the bike considereing the wheel size change. I also fabricated this dash for some idiot lights while I was at it. I've had that oil light in a drawer for 8 years....this is why I hoard.

dash.jpeg dash1.jpeg

61 - 75 of 75 Posts