Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks Sandro. I was just going to rebuild the stock calipers but if you have something cooler I might be interested.
-Vic

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I've got a pair of pair of SRAD 750 6 pot Calipers you can have but they will need a full rebuild (new seals etc)

They was on my 98 Fi 750 that was my daily hack in all weathers (UK) ... The road salt took its toll on the dust seals causing the pistons to bind on the discs,at the time I had a pair of SRAD 600 4 pots spare so I used them ...

If its worth your while to pay for shipping then rebuild them you can have them,

Regards Sandro

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thanks for the generous offer but i think shipping would make them too expensive for me at the moment. In other news i got a little work done.
The old steer stops were broken off so I turned some bushings and bolted them to the lower triple. i also started on a fork brace/fender mount for the late model fender. Not sure how I will mount the fender and whittle the brace down yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
I found a Bandit 1200 to use as a donor. I probably paid a little too much for it considering what a turd this thing was; no title, booger welds galore, loads of hacked parts. I was hoping to part out what I didn't need and recoup some cost but aside from what I need there isn't anything else really to sell off. The engine fired up and sounded OK. needs a clutch bad. It was pretty greasy so i hosed it down with Gunk it and cleaned it up a bit. The 1200 engine slid right into the 750 frame after I took the valve cover and a cam cap, There is loads of room to remove the valve cover to check clearances. I need to sort out the motor mounts, I'm wondering if i should oversize the mounting bolts to remove the slop.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Good news is the engine is bolted in. I had to make 1 custom bolt but used stock for everything else. Bad news is through my ingenious frame bracing I have painted myself into a corner. I’m going to use the stock bandit carbs but there is little room for an air filter. Anybody know of some filters that might work? I'm thinking about making a plenum and putting a big air filter on top in the caivity under the tank. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I have tried searching and I keep finding differing info. What size front master cylinder would be on this thing with stock calipers? It came with a 14mm MC. I bought a rebuild kit and the kit is too big. I have seen some Master cylinders listed for this bike as being 5/8"

I'm not sure what size MC.bore to use

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Thanks guys. Gun Kote is similar to ceramic paints but i believe its actually a type of epoxy. Goes on super thin, needs no primer, comes in a bunch of colors, and once you bake it it is nearly impervious to solvent. Seriously, you can spray brake cleaner straight at it and it doesn't do anything. You do have to use a spray gun though, the stuff in a rattle can is not the same.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Is there any good reason why the GSXR rear caliper is fully floating and the torque arm mounts to the frame? seems like a lot of complexity just to have the caliper move with the suspension. I want to use the bandit rear caliper hanger to get the caliper over the disk properly (gsxr is for bigger diamter disk), but the bandit mount is not fully floating so I would need to weld a torque arm mount on the swingarm, or I could machine a bronze sleeve and bushing for the bandit mount.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Status update;
Brakes and Clutch plumbed
New slip fit collars machined.
Header chopped and fitted to B12

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Finally getting back on this as other projects are finishing up. A little digging on this website and I have set myself up with a 2005 R1 shock for $20! Seems like a nice shock for the money, but I can already tell I will need a stiffer spring and maybe different valving. I also finished chopping and re-welding the Yoshimura header and I made a exhaust hanger out of a spare brake torque arm.

IMG_0597 copy.jpg IMG_E0576.JPG IMG_0577.JPG B90110A0-99B4-4C2C-8A40-43F5D25C26E4 (1).jpeg 556D88EE-45E7-4018-B864-A5B2C9C15760.jpeg

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
How do I get the crossover cans on this duplex to seal? There is a pretty big gap between the can and the header.
dfsa.jpg

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
My good friend styled me with a carbon fiber fairing for this project. normally I would say carbon fiber is too good for a dirtbag project such as this. However, the carbon version was made cheap and quick by pulling a positive off my hacked together original. No mold was made, so it’s a bit crude. It's super strong, and insanely light, 1 lb 4oz! All the carbon was free aerospace scrap. So it cost us nothing but our time. My buddy can claim he's worked on both the largest and second largest airplanes ever; one of the fringe benefits of that job is plundering the insane amount of material that gets thrown away because its gone out of date.
gsx2.jpg gsxr.jpg gsxr3.jpeg

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
I was pretty sure before and now I'm certain I've run into you on IG.

-Rob

My good friend styled me with a carbon fiber fairing for this project. normally I would say carbon fiber is too good for a dirtbag project such as this. However, the carbon version was made cheap and quick by pulling a positive off my hacked together original. No mold was made, so it’s a bit crude. It's super strong, and insanely light, 1 lb 4oz! All the carbon was free aerospace scrap. So it cost us nothing but our time. My buddy can claim he's worked on both the largest and second largest airplanes ever; one of the fringe benefits of that job is plundering the insane amount of material that gets thrown away because its gone out of date.
View attachment 568664 View attachment 568665 View attachment 568666

41 - 60 of 65 Posts