Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
I knew it Doc Rot! I'm fastdave- my kz550 was last month's BOTM Lol! Congratulations on that! For those members here that don't know- Doc Rot is very talented. He has skills that are becoming more and more rare in this world. This is going to be one nice bike- I can tell you that right now! I can't wait to see more. No pressure...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
thanks for the kind words. I like that kz550 you restored. Don't expect anything too crazy here, I just want a cool daily rider that has dirt under its fingernails.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The wheels are off a '91 (thanks for the info on that!) I have rounded up the missing wheel parts and a fender for a 17" wheel. I started making a bracket to adapt the 6 pot calipers I have. Everything is period speed parts on this bike, so to me the 6 pot calipers look out of place. I'm not in love with them. Most of the vintage endurance racing photos I can find they are running AP/Lockeed calipers or Brembo P-108 which are great calipers, but that would break the budget. I may just stick with the stock calipers and splurge for some good brake pads, unless anybody has any suggestions on a cheap caliper swap that would be more "period"?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well i finally have some time to work on this. I wanted to check the compression, but my compression tester died on the second cylinder, I did pull the valve cover to discover....shims? Someone earlier in this thread suggested that it was a late model motor. turns out they were right. I think its a 91-92 based off the Engine VIN. (R716-120195) I started pulling things off as literally everything on this bike needs attention. Its a rolling basket case.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
I have met a large debacle. I initially wasn't going to pull the motor, but the previous owner resprayed the it at one time and did a piss poor job of it. There is over-spray all over the frame and swing-arm, and the paint on the motor is flaking off badly. I pulled the engine to clean the frame properly and repaint the motor but while doing so I discovered one of the engine mount lugs on the frame has sheared off.

Im feeling like i should cut and run. There's too much ham-fisted stupid shit going on here. Its all parted out and ready to go, I could probably recoup my cost and then some based off the unusual parts.
Or.....
I could continue on. I have a friend who is more than qualified to repair this frame, and he'll probably do it for a 6 pack. Hell, I may even have him do some frame bracing while he's at it.

My concern is i'm gonna ride it, not like it, and want to sell it after putting a bunch of hard work into it.(been there done that) Although I have to say I'm very impressed with the engineering i have encountered thus far. What is one of these worth if it was clean and everything had been gone through, with almost no original parts? $2000? (Bay area prices)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
these first gens are excellent performing bikes and are easy to maintain once set up. it appears like you have a fairly good starting point, but like all things, if the previous owner(s) neglected or did hack-jobs, then it will be an uphill battle.

seems like you are mechanically competent, so go forward with getting the frame repaired and assemble it to your standards. i would focus on getting it running properly, then focus on the aesthetics afterwards. stay focused and don't get side tracked with making it look "pretty." there are plenty of parts out there for these bikes, so that won't be an issue.

are you located in the bay area?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Well after thinking about it for a bit, I have decided to proceed. I'm too excited by the potential end result. There's no way I'm going to make my purposed $1000 budget, but if i can keep it under $2000 id be happy. I have started looking for a deal on a 1100 engine, but no luck yet.

I rebuilt the forks, and measured the spring which is about 18". the rebound spring is about 3.5" but the one in the manual looks like is maybe 1.5". I'm pretty sure it has a lowering spring kit as the stock spring is supposed to be about 15". this explains why it seemed so low when i picked it up.

Is this a desirable mod or was this setup for a short person?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Much respect and admiration. :thumbup

Keep us posted
thanks man, will do.

I'm not 100% that this bike has lowering springs despite the long rebound spring. Can somebody tell me the length of the forks uncompressed?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have started looking for a deal on a 1100 engine, but no luck yet.
You can search for a Bandit1200 (GSXF) engine and then swap the cylinder head from your 750, or better if you can find a head from a -88 750.
Even GSXF 1100 is easy to find, but its all about the cc's..... :banana

I have a 98 Bandit 1200 in my 750 -86, I had to remove the oilpan when I mounted it, maybe you had to switch to the oilpan and pickup from your old 750 to.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
You can search for a Bandit1200 (GSXF) engine and then swap the cylinder head from your 750, or better if you can find a head from a -88 750.
Even GSXF 1100 is easy to find, but its all about the cc's..... :banana

I have a 98 Bandit 1200 in my 750 -86, I had to remove the oilpan when I mounted it, maybe you had to switch to the oilpan and pickup from your old 750 to.
I have been also looking for a bandit 1200 engine but i haven't seen any deals yet. There is a lot of other work to do on this project so im going to be patient and wait till something pops up.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
finally a solid update on this. I got the front end squared away. I decided to ditch the dymag and go with bandit wheels. It took a bearing swap and custom internal spacer to fit the wheel on the stock axle. I used the ebc rotors and original calipers. The rotors needed a bigger PCD and the ID opened up to fit the bandit wheels. The calipers needed a small washer to center them on the disk, and since I was missing a wheel spacer, I decided to make them all from scratch and delete the speedo drive while I was at it.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
the frame has been boxed in and braced. The broken motor mount is repaired. I used 6061 for the braces and 5556 filler rod. The castings were difficult to weld, twice I had something in the casting explode and pop molten aluminum out at me. I want to brace the swingarm as well, but I'm going to wait till its on the road so I can do a comparison. I painted the triple trees with gun kote and installed new bearings. I went through all the bearings in the rear end and cleaned them out and packed with new grease. Its rolling again, sitting on Metzler Sportec M3, which i spooned on sweating it out on the garage floor(I'm a Luddite when it comes to tire machines). Never ridden a metzler tire before, excited to try them out. I'm still on the hunt for an engine.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
the image upload on this site is terrible. I have several photos i want to attach but they have the limit set super low and now it wont upload at all. hopefully I'll get some photos up here soon. in the meantime I have posted them here. >>>>
Dirtbag Oil-Boiler

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
This is looking great. What is wrong with the wheels in the picture? It looks like paint or wrap coming off? What are you going to do with them?
thanks man. that is black masking tape protecting the rim whilst moving it around the shop. lots of things that want to scratch up the factory paint which is in pretty good condition. I'm going to leave it as is now.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Repaying your compliment my friend,if you need a hand to resize the pics you want to upload I can guide you as I spent the weekend scanning some pics and magazine articles then having to use some free software to resize,theres bound to be an easier way but it worked for me ..but you're right its a pain in the arse !!

BTW need any help with parts ?? I'm a hoarder,a good one, been doing it 25 years,I'll gladly donate a pair of calipers if they are all u have ...

Regards Sandro

Attachments

21 - 40 of 65 Posts