Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my oil and decided to try something different as there've been too many posts here about stripped oil pan threads (do an advanced search for "stripped drain" if you don't know what I'm talking about). I want a drain plug that installs with less torque but still seals properly. I also like drain plugs with protruding magnets instead of the recessed style that Suzuki uses. Aluminum drain plugs are available for very little money here. But, instead of a metallic gasket, I've switched to a Stat-O-Seal. Aside from the right size, the key is to use one that is up to the demands of sealing hot oil. Buna-N isn't good enough but Earl's (and only Earl's) sells one with a viton seal that I think will work. I install the plug with little more than finger tightness, just a bit more than needed to compress the rubber seal. This raises the possibility that the plug will loosen and/or back out so I drilled the head for safety wire and use it with an anchor similar to the Sato OFCAP-TILP.

I turned the OD of the Stat-O-Seal down to .9" as it was unnecessarily wide in this application. The new magnet is distinctly stronger than OEM. Here are some pics. Unlike the OEM, it threads snugly into the pan opening.

So far it works fine but it's all very new and time will tell.

P.S. I never noticed it with the winpy OEM magnet but I thought that the OEM gaskets were copper. The new magnet grabbed right onto them and I now realize that they're steel.

·
7,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it's not going anywhere and that additionally satisfies the track regs. Stat-O-Seals are fairly well known in aircraft and car racing, ex. here (note that those are Buna-N). A Mil variant exists, NAS1523, but they're hard to come by.

P.S. I may have spoke too soon. Here's a fairly exotic NAS version with a fluorosilicone seal. The Cessna application is for Citation jets. A decent price for what it is. Russell Performance claims that fluorosillicone is superior to viton in motor oil and antifreeze service. But I have an O-ring elastomer guide that rates viton higher in just about every category except cold resistance. So I'm inclined to stay with viton.

·
7,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Dowty seals are very similar in concept. Earl's has them but they're thicker and significantly smaller in diameter. Those ones by Powerslut look fine. Furthermore as he specializes in drain plugs, I'd expect his to work OK. Good price too. When I get a chance I'll ask him about thickness and OD.

The magnet appears to be epoxied in place. No guarantees but they look OK. Those plugs are being sold by a number of sellers in various sizes. I'd hope that they've ironed out any retention issues by now. A quick look at the Suzuki plug suggests that its magnet is also epoxied in place.

·
Reluctant GDC camper.....
152 Posts
The Dowty seals are very similar in concept. Earl's has them but they're thicker and significantly smaller in diameter. Those ones by Powerslut look fine. Furthermore as he specializes in drain plugs, I'd expect his to work OK. Good price too. When I get a chance I'll ask him about thickness and OD.

The magnet appears to be epoxied in place. No guarantees but they look OK. Those plugs are being sold by a number of sellers in various sizes. I'd hope that they've ironed out any retention issues by now. A quick look at the Suzuki plug suggests that its magnet is also epoxied in place.
Ok sweet good to know,whats the worst case scenario that could happen if a magnet did manage to get lose and end up circulating in your oil?

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,375 Posts
It would probably just sit there at the bottom of the pan. If it did go anywhere, it'd get caught in the strainer before the oil pump. I wouldn't worry much even if it did come out.

·
----------------
1,761 Posts
I bought a Lockhart Phillips plug mainly because it was pre-drilled for safety wire and brand new out of the package the magnet came out in my hand with little effort. They sent me a free replacement which seemed solid so maybe the first was one was a dud. I checked and it doesn't look like they sell that one anymore. Yours looks like a better design though.

·
7,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked at Lockhart and liked that it was drilled for safety wire and counterdrilled. But I was hell bent on an aluminum plug with a protruding magnet. This also ruled out Powerslut. The Chinese plug is scarey cheap but seems fine. A bit of a pain drilling it. Irk! about Kevin's magnet coming out. I'm aware of GM using transmission drain plugs with epoxied magnets as far back as the 1960's. My biggest concern is will the seal do its job and, as said, time will tell. The feedback on Pegasus is all positive. Their use on aircraft is very encouraging

P.S. This is what I'm used to calling a Dowty seal.

·
Reluctant GDC camper.....
152 Posts
It would probably just sit there at the bottom of the pan. If it did go anywhere, it'd get caught in the strainer before the oil pump. I wouldn't worry much even if it did come out.
Ok great to know.I'll have to pick up a few of these cause that's a hell of a deal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
Leooo
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing