Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i had my 06 600 for 5 month now and just decided to get frame sliders:hammer . my question is what are the difference between the shorter (vortex) and the longer frame sliders in protection (tip over or a fall) and durability (bend in a fall)? i measured one of the sliders on another bike and the vortex, there were about 1 inch differnce:eek Also this store is charging me $100 for a pair of vortex and installation and cutting a hole, is this a good deal? The vortex the store carry comes in 3 seperate pieces ( puck, 2 screw) instead a single piece, any one has the same sliders and how they stack up? thanks for your input

·
Registered
136 Posts
I agree with markgsxr600...Race Railz are an EZ bolt on and will save more of your bike than just sliders IMO. However, I would also recommend you get the axle sliders along with the Railz www.powersstuntworx.com to help with the rear end as well. Some people think they are a little gautty and stick out a bit far, but to each his own...you decide
As far as frame sliders, I have always liked the Woodcraft sliders and used them on my last 2 bikes because of their puc design and how they mount. Haven't heard many of these snapping off. You will, however, have to trim quite a bit on both sides of your fairing in order for them to bolt up. If you go this route, there are many posts if you SEARCH to see how/what to do to get them on properly. I use a dremel tool on mine and took my time. They turned out very nice, but had to stay patient and do it right. I ended up getting a sweet deal on both fairings, now that I saw these Race Railz, so getting those so i can put the Railz on without having huge, caping holes on each side:) Good luck and hope this helps!

·
Ditchard the High Maintenance Squirrel
60,366 Posts
I used the Motovation sliders on the 600 and Shogun sliders on the 1k. I haven't tested either (knock on wood).

But like ^ he said...the longer sliders are more apt to bend due to the extra length. I would get some that have enough length to sufficiently do their job, but not stick out a mile.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The longer sliders will increase the chances that you bend or break off a bolt in your engine mount, or even worse, damage the engine mount hole. The advantage of longer sliders is that your plastic will be more protected.

The shorter sliders are more friendly to your frame, but less friendly to your plastic.

I went with the Woodcraft two piece race sliders. They're shorter, but have no center hole and tons of plastic before they wear down. My plastic may get FUBAR, but I'm confident I'll never need an easy-out or welder if I go down.

In my opinion, get the longer sliders if you're a lower speed stunter or bike dropper and get the shorter sliders if you're a track guy or if you tend to go down at high speeds.

It's really a risk/reward decision based on the type of riding you do and your tolerance for replacing plastic vs. drilling out broken bolts. Define your riding mission first, and your choice will be obvious.

Edit:
By the way, the Woodcraft sliders require drilling BOTH sides about 2". Not for the queasy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I personally tested the vortex sliders at jenningsGP and they work the way a slider should. My frame was checked through G.M.D. and was 100% straight. FRAME slider did its job. Did I mention it was a highside, and the slider still worked! Slammed the slider on the ground and then started sliding. :cheers

·
Registered
108 Posts
If your on the street long or short will prolly work about the same. If your at a race track & theres dirt run off any size slider may do more damage by digging in and fliping the bike theres a lot of race bikes that don't run sliders for that reason I seen two of my bikes with sliders slide along nice & flat then as soon as the bike left the pavement and hit the dirt they flipped 2 to 3 times destroying about every plastic part on the bikes plus. The times I've low sided and the bike stayed on the pavement the sliders worked fantastic & the bike did'nt flip. But at the tracks I ride most of the time the bikes end up in the dirt (after a low side) So I am no longer using frame sliders.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
thanks for all your great advice. does any one knwo who makes longer sliders? also do you guys think i would be wise just to invest in race railz? would they flip the bike in the dirt?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.