Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took my bike in for some scheduled maintenance and I'm wondering if the dealer (Motor Sports World, Ottawa, Ontario) broke my cam chain tightener. Let me know what you think.

I dropped off my 2008 Suzuki GSX650F for scheduled maintenance and I got a phone call from my dealer a few days later that has shaken my confidence in Suzuki. The dealer reports that the cam chain tightener broke while the technician was cranking the engine by hand during a valve adjustment procedure. The dealer said that “it was a good thing that I brought the bike in when I did”. I asked if this was a common failure, and the dealer said she’s seen it once before, which I’m guessing means that this part is not something that typically breaks. And having it break while the technician’s “hand is in the cookie jar”, particularly considering that the bike has been so reliable and problem-free, seems oddly coincidental.

The dealer went on to say that the broke part fell down into the engine, and the top-end needs to be removed in order to retrieve the broken piece, so could I authorize the additional work that is required.

I realize that it is natural for customers to be suspicious about dealers trying to up-sell required services, however, this is not your typical “overdue service needed” or “parts showing excessive wear & tear need to be replaced” situation. (And considering that the dealer has recently moved to a new & larger building, it is easy to see how the dealer would welcome some additional service revenue.) I fully appreciate that unexpected servicing is sometimes required, however, the circumstances make this situation hard to accept.

This situation could in fact be one where the timing of the break is very fortunate, however, I find it difficult to not be suspicious. I wrote to Suzuki Canada Customer Service to investigate the situation, and restore some degree of confidence that Suzuki’s products and dealers are reliable and trustworthy. So far, all I heard back was a phone message from the dealer that the ordered parts will arrive in about a week, which further makes me wonder how frequently that part breaks. A second email sent a week later to Suzuki Customer Service asking for an update is still unanswered.

So what do you think - is this a legitimate maintenance issue, or should I be suspect of Suzuki and the dealer?

·
Registered
191 Posts
That is why you should always spin your own wrenches. Buy a service manual and do your own, or prepare to be bent over.

I recently brought a chain saw in to get tuned. It ran good, but stumbled on occasion under load. They told me the cylinder was scored and I needed a new saw. I went in to pick it up and was shocked when they handed it to me in a box. I don't know squat about chainsaws, but after the third attempt got it back together. I gave the high speed carb screw an 1/8 turn and it now runs perfect. I had to go back to the dealer to have them install one screw as it took some long ass torx. I threatened to take my junk saw and drop one of their telephone poles onto their building.

Every time I take something to a "professional", thinking they know more than I do, I get fucked.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,635 Posts
Do you mean this:

or this:

I think the first part is made of reinforced nylon or something. So it could wear and break (particularly if the engine was turned backwards). I fear that you're stuck if it's what broke, but I'd want to see the parts. The second part can wear along the teeth but it's hard to see how it would break.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just heard back from Suzuki Canada Customer Service, and according to their investigation,

... there is no explanation why the plastic part broke during service.
Overall, I am not happy with their response, since it does not offer any explanation, nor does it restore any faith in the reliability of Suzuki’s products or the trustworthiness of their dealers.

I've asked them to show me the broken part so that I can clearly see for myself why “it was a good thing that I brought the bike in when I did”, and provide me with a 4 year extended warranty on the engine to demonstrate that Suzuki Canada has faith in its products and dealers, and therefore so should I.

I was a very happy Suzuki customer up until this happened. :(

@MadViking: I think you're right, unfortunately, I already had a colonoscopy earlier this year. I really didn't expect a second one!!!

@BillV: I don't know which part broke, other than the broken part fell inside the engine.

·
Super Moderator
14,962 Posts
So are they making you pay the extra repair bill? I'm guessing they are since you're here. Unfortunately Suzuki customer services hasn't been known to step in and resolve these issues outside of normal warranty work. You're situation definitely sounds a bit bogus as I haven't heard of that happening to those bikes at all. Sorry man. :(

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm picturing some grease monkey with a pry bar in his hand that doesn't give a fuck cause he ain't payin fur it.

Make sure they own a torque wrench before reassembly.
I remember going into a smaller dealership. My buddy was having a head gasket replaced. They had this guy's fairing face down on the work bench with a bunch of nuts and bolts piled on the inside. I thought the cops were going to have to drag him out of there.
It'll work out, my man. You always have to look at things from a mechanic's perspective. If he was doing things right and it is brittle, all rusted and seized, that is not his fault.
How many times have you unbolted exhaust headers from a car or dropped a car fuel tank without breaking a bolt? Shit happens...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got an email from the Service Manager earlier today (who I respect, despite recent events), and she sent a photo of the broken part - a plastic slider that she says was showing no signs of wear (the assumption being the photo is the broken part from my bike - not a spare one snapped in two just for the photo). The technician is reported to have 40 years of experience, but despite that experience, has no explanation for how it broke, other than it was 1/2 way through the valve adjustment procedure. BTW - Suzuki Canada Customer Service was very disappointing - other than suggesting I contact the dealer directly, they had nothing else to say, and consider the matter closed. I suggested they change the name of their department, since there was no evidence of any service being offered.

@Carnage: There was no mention of the cost for parts or labor yet. Whatever it is, I'll consider it the cost of a higher education in order to follow 2017Dave's advice - "Should have done it yourself".

@MadViking: Judging from the picture, rusted/seized/brittle doesn't really apply. From what they said:

"The technician was half way through your valve adjustment when the piece broke. The procedure for checking the valves involves turning the machine over by hand in the correct direction. As he was turning the engine over, he heard a snap, then, the engine would no longer turn over. I had him spend some time investigating, to find the camchain guide to have broken in two. At this time, we don't have a reason as to why it happened."

Yep, shit happens.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You will never know, sometimes it happens, sometimes the fault of the mechanic. Get her fixed and enjoy her, if you have so many unanswered questions and unhappy never return.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,391 Posts
I'm guessing they turned the engine backwards instead of forwards when trying to time things. That's a no-no. There's a lot of things you can f-up when messing with a cam chain. All that means is that it's possible they're at fault. But good luck proving it.

You're also looking at a $30 part. Big deal. That's the static side and it broke near the bottom. That sounds like a kinked chain being forced past it to me. But don't piss them off over a $30 part. It's not even the tensioner side. Have them replace it and move on.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I hope its perfect when you get it back. I dont want to point fingers, but it sounds like the mechanic may be at fault. I would not care about paying for the part and labor for regular maintenance, But paying someone to dig into the bottom end to clean debris out is not cool. I have replaced more timing chains and belts on automobiles that I care to mention, but i never broke the tensioner or guide. I would have made a trip to dealer and inspected myself.

·
Banned
1 Posts
I took my bike in for some scheduled maintenance and I'm wondering if the dealer (Motor Sports World, Ottawa, Ontario) broke my cam chain tightener. Let me know what you think.

I dropped off my 2008 Suzuki GSX650F for scheduled maintenance and I got a phone call from my dealer a few days later that has shaken my confidence in Suzuki. The dealer reports that the cam chain tightener broke while the technician was cranking the engine by hand during a valve adjustment procedure. The dealer said that “it was a good thing that I brought the bike in when I did”. I asked if this was a common failure, and the dealer said she’s seen it once before, which I’m guessing means that this part is not something that typically breaks. And having it break while the technician’s “hand is in the cookie jar”, particularly considering that the bike has been so reliable and problem-free, seems oddly coincidental.

The dealer went on to say that the broke part fell down into the engine, and the top-end needs to be removed in order to retrieve the broken piece, so could I authorize the additional work that is required.

I realize that it is natural for customers to be suspicious about dealers trying to up-sell required services, however, this is not your typical “overdue service needed” or “parts showing excessive wear & tear need to be replaced” situation. (And considering that the dealer has recently moved to a new & larger building, it is easy to see how the dealer would welcome some additional service revenue.) I fully appreciate that unexpected servicing is sometimes required, however, the circumstances make this situation hard to accept.

This situation could in fact be one where the timing of the break is very fortunate, however, I find it difficult to not be suspicious. I wrote to Suzuki Canada Customer Service to investigate the situation, and restore some degree of confidence that Suzuki’s products and dealers are reliable and trustworthy. So far, all I heard back was a phone message from the dealer that the ordered parts will arrive in about a week, which further makes me wonder how frequently that part breaks. A second email sent a week later to Suzuki Customer Service asking for an update is still unanswered.

So what do you think - is this a legitimate maintenance issue, or should I be suspect of Suzuki and the dealer?

Hey guys please download the app manual LIB. YOU GET ANY MANUAL FOR FREE EVEN FOR YOUR DAM LAWN MOWER.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts