Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to rebuild my motorcycle carburetors all was going well.instead of taking the traditional route and using a degreaser can and letting them sit in there I opted for a sonic cleaner and used super clean detergent( most likely to much) when I took the carburetor out of the machine there was tons of white foam on it so I then put it in The can of gunk carburetor parts cleaner and this is the end result. I don’t know what to make of this black stuff won’t wipe off and is all over my hands when handling the carb. I’m lost any suggestions .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
I would guess that the degreaser left a residue on the carbs and it reacted with the other solvent. Throw both of that shit away.

Fill your ultrasonic with the hottest water your tap will give you. Dip it for at least 35/40 minutes.

Get yourself some simple green and mix it with hot water in accordance to the instructions. Fill up the ultrasonic with it while it's hot them dip it again.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
I have an ultra sonic too. I dip carbs all the time with just simple green and hot water. Don't over mix it. The ultra sonic does more work than the soap

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,619 Posts
I used to use 50/50 Simple Green and water in my ultrasonic cleaner, it did a great job but there was some discoloring.
A friend uses 50/50 Spray Nine and water in his with good results, so I've done the same and it's an improvement.
Change your recipe and run it back through your cleaner.

There are you-tube videos of guys cleaning carbs with a box of baking soda, and a simple varsol sprayer(wear a dust mask). I had to try it, it does a great job restoring the finish, give them a good rinse, blow them out and you're ready for reassembly.
I'm buying a vapour blasting cabinet in the near future.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
50/50? I suppose it's not the concentrate? I have a 5 gallon jug of concentrated simple green. I also have a 5 gallon ultrasonic tub. I use just enough simple green to cover the bottom of a 5 gal bucket and fill it to the top.

Hot water makes a difference.

Soda blasters are the shit!! I want one bad but I need a bigger air compressor first

1 - 5 of 5 Posts