Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,004 Posts
Damn...anyone have the story on this? Like why did he seem to accelerate towards a parked car?

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,753 Posts
Damn...anyone have the story on this? Like why did he seem to accelerate towards a parked car?
If you watch in on youtube fullscreen, it's clear to see that he came from the left of the lane (IE couldn't see the parked car), pulled over to the right to pass illegally and THEN you see his nose dive so yes, he saw it. But it was too late.

What we have here is a perfect example of STUPID riding getting the rider.... and sadly, his passenger.... killed. Very sad.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,440 Posts
Passenger goes flying, pilot gets stuck by the deck lid and then falls limp to the ground. There's another video out there that shows the reverse angle and the rider was just going faster than they could see. I hate seeing shit like this.....

·
IM THE BRONZE
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea he couldn't see the parked car, was traveling far too fast for the current traffic conditions. Then thought he saw a clear opening for a changing situation. He was definitely wrong.
All it takes is a couple seconds to change/end your life forever.
I never got a follow up on this story, but I'm assuming one dead and a possible live rider with very serious injuries....possible two gone. :scared

I don't by any means enjoy stuff like this, but I also think once in a while some new guys need to see it.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I saw that floating around facebook. Hard to tell for sure but it doesn't look like he was excessively speeding or riding recklessly. It appears to me that he changed from the 4 to the 5 lane and then saw one car stopped in the lane. He was unable to see the second car because of the way they were staggered and that he was coming from the left. For whatever reason, in that split second, going around the one car he saw, on the right, appeared to be the best option, possibly because his momentum was already going that direction. Just a bad situation all around.

·
7,753 Posts
... it doesn't look like he was excessively speeding or riding recklessly.......
There's no arguing he was riding at speed without SEEING where he was going. He assumed (incorrectly) that he'd just pass on the right. He had plenty of time & space to slow down. He didn't.

That's 100% rider error. That would NEVER happen to me or any skilled /experienced rider because I will never 'assume' where I'm going. I always see where I'm going or I don't go.

It's as basic as not out-riding your headlight at night.

At my favorite track, Calabogie motorsports park, they intentionally designed 2 blind turns into the track because it throws riders off. Unless the rider doesn't have that instinct burned-into his brain, to have to see where he's going.

·
IM THE BRONZE
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I saw that floating around facebook. Hard to tell for sure but it doesn't look like he was excessively speeding or riding recklessly. It appears to me that he changed from the 4 to the 5 lane and then saw one car stopped in the lane. He was unable to see the second car because of the way they were staggered and that he was coming from the left. For whatever reason, in that split second, going around the one car he saw, on the right, appeared to be the best option, possibly because his momentum was already going that direction. Just a bad situation all around.
He was blowing by those cars.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
There's no arguing he was riding at speed without SEEING where he was going. He assumed (incorrectly) that he'd just pass on the right. He had plenty of time & space to slow down. He didn't.

That's 100% rider error. That would NEVER happen to me or any skilled /experienced rider because I will never 'assume' where I'm going. I always see where I'm going or I don't go.

It's as basic as not out-riding your headlight at night.

At my favorite track, Calabogie motorsports park, they intentionally designed 2 blind turns into the track because it throws riders off. Unless the rider doesn't have that instinct burned-into his brain, to have to see where he's going.
I get the feeling that the way you imagine it playing out is that he changed lanes, saw the first car slowing and trying to merge to the left, and decided to pass that car on the right. That's entirely possible and if that's what happened it was a horifically bad decision that he and his friend paid dearly for.

What I imagined was that he changed lanes, realized the car in front of him was slowing and merging left as if he's breaking down and avoiding that car by going around on the right seemed like the best plan. By the time he saw the other stopped car it was too late and he was just trying to scrub off as much speed as possible.

Ultimately we're all just guessing but it's a sobering reminder to be as safe as possible out there.

·
7,753 Posts
I get the feeling that the way you imagine it playing out is that he....... .
I'm not imagining anything. It's a fact that he rode into the back of the car. He didn't SEE the car obviously. That means he was riding at speed without seeing where he was going.

He assumed he was going to pass on the right instead of slowing down when he didn't know what was ahead. 100% his fault.

It sucks. Poor guy and poor passenger but I repeat, that's a shitty rider to NOT instinctively slow the fuck down when the car in front of him comes to a stop and assume he'll just go around him. That would not have happened to me or any experienced / sensible rider.

·
Administrator
15,171 Posts
Wow, knocked the shoes right off the operator. His legs/feet also bent all the way up to his head at impact. Haven't seen one that bad in a while.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts