Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike has +2 rear sprocket. Yosh full duplex RS3 exhaust. I'm 6' and weigh 210 lbs. Went to RaceLegal.com event at Stadium in San Diego.

Remember this is an 1/8th mile. Best time and speed i got was 7.400 at 99.12mph.

The same run was also my best reaction time at .567 i think.(not so good) It was a "Full Tree" and it was my first time ever drag racing. And pretty much the first time I had practiced launches on this bike (just bought it from my bro)

For comparison a stretched & lowered Busa was running 6.5's at 115 ish

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts

Now take it to a real track (one with turns) and see what this bike is REALLY capable of

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I hear ya. I try to ride canyons a lot. I had a 95 750 since 97-98

I'm actually not a big fan of straight line stuff at all. Booooorrriinnggg. But my brother does community service there every week and my friend talked some smack about his Hardley.

I wouldn't even do 2 sec burn outs. F that!!... I'm not gonna waste my tires!!

Closest track is Willow Springs. More than 3hrs away.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
Closest track is Willow Springs. More than 3hrs away.
I have just as far but it's so worth it. Borrow a truck, van or trailer and tow the bike there, then have the time of your life - doesn't even compare with canyon riding
You'll be hooked

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think i just figured out that there is a closer track.

Fontana ? I need to do some more research. Sounds like it would be fun. Just gotta get my brother to make the trek with me.

Don't you have to safety wire, tape glass, remove signals... what else??? kinda sounds like a pain

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
Don't you have to safety wire, tape glass, remove signals... what else??? kinda sounds like a pain
Normally you don't have to safety wire for regular track days, just make sure that all bolts are tight. You do have to tape up all glass (also the transparent plastic) for safety reasons, to prevent it from shattering and being spread all over the track. Mostly you can do it with the blinkers and mirrors too, but I'd recommend removing those to at least keep them intact if you should run off the track.

Apart from that, make sure your tires are good (still has plenty of thread, they wear FAST on the track) and lower your tire pressure somewhat. I ran 30 psi front and 29 rear when I used street tires on the track. That makes the tires warm up quickly and gives you a bigger contact surface. Your oil, coolant, brake fluid and pads should be relatively fresh as well because they are really put to use.

And (maybe a no-brainer) make sure you have filled the gas tank before getting to the track, your gas milage isn't too high there

All in all it's really not that much of a pain and it's very rewarding. I've done a write-up with lots of pics of the last time I was at the track, it's at the bottom of the thread:

Click here

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
BTW - when taping the lights: disconnect the brake light switch and the lights if you can't turn them off (there's an "off" setting on the European models, don't know if you have it). Having them turned on melts the glue and makes it stick to the glass...

Masking tape as used for painting is great because it doesn't leave residue. Cheap too

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea... i heard about disconnecting the headlight and taillight because of the heat generated.

Thanks for the info.

Looks like i would have to replace radiator fluid with water for Willow Springs. Not sure about Fontana aka California Speedway.

Looks like my main issues right now are money, bike prep, and full leathers. I'm thinking i might just rent the leathers as all I have is an ICON jacket (no zipper for pants either)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts