Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Joined
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do some connections need Dielectric grease? I have installed some rectifier Regulators that said to use dielectric grease on them.
And some not say anything about it at all. (Would it be (good or ok) to use on all connections?) THANK YOU!!!
Have a good one 馃弽馃弽馃弽
 

Premium Member
Joined
875 Posts
Dielectric grease actually is non conductive. If a connector is not tight and not making a good connection to begin with the dielectric grease can actually make the connection worse. I think its purpose is to inhibit corrosion.
 

Registered
Joined
35 Posts
Dielectric grease actually is non conductive. If a connector is not tight and not making a good connection to begin with the dielectric grease can actually make the connection worse. I think its purpose is to inhibit corrosion.
You'd think it would give it a better connection. But you're right, that's what I've read too!
 

Registered
Joined
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know, but I have used it, and have not had no trouble. I have a pIngel electric easy shift, and the instructions, tells you to put it on the connection. I have always been told that oil is a non conductor,
and I have worked around, high out put step up transformers, that were
submerged in black oil, to insulate them.
Hope someone gets on here, smarter then we are and explain to us how, and why it works, or don't work
馃弽馃弽馃弽
 

Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
Joined
13,536 Posts
Have you ever seen these threads where people have parts of their dash go out, or just goofy electrical stuff in general? Usually these are traced back to a burned up connector. The reason this happens is the pins corroded. Electricity passing through accelerates this. Then as soon as corrosion occurs, the resistance of the contact goes up. Resistance goes up, and the heat in the contact goes up. More heat means faster corrosion. The grease not only makes connectors go together and come apart easier, but also displaces moisture and oxygen which slow corrosion.
 

Registered
Joined
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds good to me, I think I will use it a lot more. Thank you!!!
Have a good one 馃弽馃弽馃弽
 

Registered
Joined
11 Posts
Why do some connections need Dielectric grease? I have installed some rectifier Regulators that said to use dielectric grease on them.
And some not say anything about it at all. (Would it be (good or ok) to use on all connections?) THANK YOU!!!
Have a good one 馃弽馃弽馃弽
I think ideally you鈥檙e supposed to put dielectric grease around the connection to protect from corrosion/the elements not in between the connections if possible. Like a protective layer on the outside of the connections
 

Just call me Colonel Angus
Joined
91 Posts
There is some good info in this thread, and some bad. Check this out. Note things like:

Dielectric grease is a silicone-based grease that repels moisture and protects electrical connections against corrosion. It is also used to keep dirt, water, and other elements out of electrical connections.

Since dielectric grease is a silicone grease, it should not be used on silicone-based rubbers or plastics, as it will break them down over time. The grease does not conduct electricity, so it shouldn鈥檛 be applied directly to the mating surfaces (pins and sockets) of an electrical connection.

This should be done very carefully, as the grease will cut off the flow of electricity through the connection if some of it is left between the mating surfaces.

 

Registered
Joined
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope you all are wrong, I have some connection I put it on, a long time ago. and they have done fine for a long time. and I change the spark plugs, and all of those connectors I covered with it. If it messes everything up, I will let you know.
I have thought of a little experiment to see how it works. I will post it.
Thank ya'll for your concern.
Have a good one 馃弽馃弽馃弽
 

Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
Joined
13,536 Posts
My 2005 600 has had grease on every connector (packed full) since the week I brought it home from the dealership. Never had an issue.
 

Registered
Joined
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have some pictures of a experiment, I have done, with a multimeter. Using, water, oil, and Dielectric grease. The first two pictures are the multimeter leads put into the water and not touching, and it has less than one Mili ohm of resistance, and then
Touching the two leads together under water,had good connection.
20200328_193145.jpg
20200328_193211.jpg

the next two pictures involve oil.
No resistance, just touching the oil,
and a good connection in oil.
20200328_193257.jpg
20200328_193313.jpg

and the last one is Dielectric grease.
It tested like the oil. and all of them made good connection.
20200328_193404.jpg
But I did read the directions on the back of the tube of Dielectric grease.
I had a little trouble reading it, but it said on battery terminals, to coat both parts with the Dielectric grease in a way that maintains metal connections.
maybe I will clean them up some!!!
Have a good one 馃弽馃弽馃弽
 

Attachments

Just call me Colonel Angus
Joined
91 Posts
I hope you all are wrong, I have some connection I put it on, a long time ago. and they have done fine for a long time. and I change the spark plugs, and all of those connectors I covered with it. If it messes everything up, I will let you know.
I have thought of a little experiment to see how it works. I will post it.
Thank ya'll for your concern.
Have a good one 馃弽馃弽馃弽
When the connectors are pushed together it will push some of the grease off the metal mating surfaces and allow some continuity, it just won't be as good as with no grease on them. The potentially reduced metal to metal surface area will force all electrical flow to go through a smaller area, and like wire that is too small for the current load it could cause overheating and other problems if the current exceeds the capacity of the conductor.
 

Registered
Joined
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, I cleaned the connections I greased. And while checking some
Other connection, the three ac stater wire plug, has burned some. The plug came apart okay, and I could still see some Dielectric grease. Hopefully I seen it before it hurt anything.
Thank you, have a good one 馃弽馃弽馃弽
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top