Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an article in a mag at borders yesterday in either superbike or TWO about 2 identical 2005 r6's. The name of the articlw was "the japs have been building engines wrong for 20 years"! They took 2 2005 r6's and detuned one and left one bone stock. The detuned one ran reground stock cams and a few other things to lower the redline and peak power output but really beefed up the midrange. I think 10 journalists rode the 2 bikes back to back and everybody but one picked the detuned r6. It was only marginally slower in the quarter mile but roll on's and engine performance was better for the street. The detuned bike was about 4 seconds faster in all the roll on tests. Has anybody done this to their 600k4 for better street riding? I found this article very very interesting in a motorcycle magazine. 9 out of 10 journalists said that the detuned r6 was better in every aspect than the stock bike. More midrange and peak hp #'s at a much lower rpm. I was astounded by this article. Someone else had to read this article. Please if you have, what mag was it? Also the sprockets were the same on each r6. Stock!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GSXR750-gl.......For people who do not see the track like myself this information is extremely valuable. It's not slowing the bike down but making peak power and torque in a lower more usable manner. The bike may be slower but it will not matter whatsoever on the street. These are race bike that are ridden on the street. More usable power would be awesone.

·
Cock Thumb, or Thumb Cock? You decide.
31,593 Posts
GSXR750-gl.......For people who do not see the track like myself this information is extremely valuable. It's not slowing the bike down but making peak power and torque in a lower more usable manner. The bike may be slower but it will not matter whatsoever on the street. These are race bike that are ridden on the street. More usable power would be awesone.
then get a v twin
if i bought a neurotic sportbike, id want it to run that way, if i want to scoot around town id get a twin, just me tho

·
Registered
538 Posts
then get a v twin
if i bought a neurotic sportbike, id want it to run that way, if i want to scoot around town id get a twin, just me tho
+1

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
then get a v twin
Yep - that's exactly why I have an SV for the street and a GSX-R for the track...
For my use, the SV is a much better choice for street riding

·
Banned
952 Posts
what youre doing is overthinking this stuff. youre a victim of creative magazine writing and they hooked you with their nonsense. how much power do you need for street riding? is shifting difficult for you? a 600ss doesnt make enough "usable power" for you? a little ninja 250 will clutch up a wheelie, and go over 100mph. thats not enough usable power? maybe im just not understanding what youre really wanting here. if anything, its the handling characteristics and ergos of a sportbike that makes them a poor choice for many streetriders. not the power delivery.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not reading into any magazine bullshit. And yes my 600 k4 has enough power for me. The average street rider would appreciate these mods. 104 hp at 13,000 rpm's is alot different from 100hp at 10,000 rpm's. For a street only rider this would be highly benificial.

·
Banned
952 Posts
I'm not reading into any magazine bullshit. And yes my 600 k4 has enough power for me. The average street rider would appreciate these mods. 104 hp at 13,000 rpm's is alot different from 100hp at 10,000 rpm's. For a street only rider this would be highly benificial.
i disagree. and those "mods" arent even practical. quit trying to justify the fact that you bought the wrong bike.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some of you guys are jags! I bought the right bike so get over yourself. Obviously you guys have no idea what the fuck i'm saying. I'm talking about any mods to change the powerband around for torque down low. Maybe different cams, throttle bodies, header pipe changes, and so on. I guess all you guys rev to 15,000 to get your 104 hp. Giving you more power lower in the rev range isn't practical? You're out of your ficking mind!

·
Banned
952 Posts
Some of you guys are jags! I bought the right bike so get over yourself. Obviously you guys have no idea what the fuck i'm saying. I'm talking about any mods to change the powerband around for torque down low. Maybe different cams, throttle bodies, header pipe changes, and so on. I guess all you guys rev to 15,000 to get your 104 hp. Giving you more power lower in the rev range isn't practical? You're out of your ficking mind!
dumbass. i get what youre saying, but your way of going about doing it is stupid. you want more low end power, right? YOU BOUGHT THE WRONG FUCKING BIKE DUMBASS. instead of doing all that involved and expensive bullshit, just do a sprocket conversion and youll get the torque multiplication you think you need. or, you can trade it in and get the SV or a 750, either one, which is what you should have gotten to begin with.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
The engine character of the bike you bought doesn't jive with what you say you're after. If you wanted low-end grunt and were not fond of accessing power that is only found on the I-4 sportbikes at 10-14K rpm then buying an SV 650/1000, Ducati Monster, Ducati 749, maybe even Honda Interceptor (VTR) would seem to be the logical choices.

You must have known the power characteristics of racing style bikes or at least looked at the tach and realized how high the thing goes. Live and learn, you don't easily change the power character of various engine configurations. If you can't enjoy the bike, I guess you should trade it in, but don't think you won't have the reverse complaint of not being able to let the revs scream when you're V-twin makes no power above ~8K rpm.

·
Cock Thumb, or Thumb Cock? You decide.
31,593 Posts
how long does it take for you to get from 10k to 13 k on the tach,, while riding on the street , not highway? faster than you can think.. top 2 gears yes a bit of difference. but 10 k in 4,5,6, is hauling fookin ass, which is not what your talking about. now moving the peak power down to say 8k yes.. but i there isnt a gawt damn thing you can do to shif tthe power that low in the range.. so basically what your saying, is that you think its ok to waste money on counter productive mods on a bike that was designed to rev. these things are meant to rev to the moon, and theres nothing wrong with wringing the piss outta the throttle on a daily basis.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To have peak power numbers at 10,000rpm's instead of 13,000rpm's would be more noticable than some of you think. Bike magazine's article was great in my opinion. They tuned a bike to be more streetable in everyday situations with a parts that are available. I have full understanding of the characteristics of my 600k4 motor. Bike just brought up an awesome point in my opinion. We as street riders will never realize our bikes potential to it's fullest. Over the years the hp number have only slightly rose while the torque numbers have remained basically the same. The hp #'s only went up because of rising rpm 3's. My friend had a 600f4 which he bought new and the next year he bought the 600rr. His f4 was faster and had less hp. It achieved the better performance because the peak #'s ere at a lower rpm. You guys think i'm trying to reinvent the wheel which i'm not. I'm just saying the facts as i see them. IMO it would benefit us all to achieve our peak #'s at lower rpm's.
FIDDY RYDER......3000 rpm's would be a huge difference.
gsxr 750 gl.....Don't ever tell me what i should have done because you have no clue what my intentions of the post were. Hear what you want to hear and the conversation is over IMO. The only reason i say this is because i don'y know you and i will show you some respect. Don't tell me what i think though.
GixKid600.... Better midrange would be killer on my600k4 and i it's achieveable. I just have to figure out how!

·
Banned
952 Posts
my 750 is already faster than pretty much every vehicle on the road at any given time. i love the power charecteristics of the high-revving inline engine. thats why i bought one. so why do i need more midrange, when the damn thing wheelies as it is? get your head out of your ass. again, youre overthinking this stuff and you bought the wrong bike. get a different bike and youll be happier.

fuck it, just convert your shit to diesel and youll have all the gay ass torque you need. torque is for fasteners. horsepower wins races. these are race bikes. treat it like one, or buy a cruiser.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.