Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 GSXR 750 that I am trying to clean up. The bike sat in the sun at some point in its life as the needles for both gauges have faded to white, which makes them difficult to read. I am thinking of taking the gauges apart so I can touch-up the needles.

I haven't done this before so I am wondering if it is a bad idea? I don't want springs and gears to fly out when I try to open them up.

Any suggestions? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Those gauges don't come apart...

...well, I suppose they *do* come apart, but not in such a manner that they can be put back together again afterwards...

I have some "fog" on the inside of my tach-face, and The thing appears to be sealed with a band of steel around the faceplate... I'm a pretty notorious tinkerer, and *I* couldn't figure out how to get in there without destroying the thing.

FWIW, the Sigma cycle-computer thing is great for a speedo, and you can set it up so that it's got a light on it and replace the stock speedo with that (I did on mine) and there are lotsa aftermarket tachs available (I'll end up with one of those as soon as mine dies from whatever is fogging it up). I don't think it's really worth what it would cost to put the OEM stuff back in there, unless you have an RR-model or something that is worth $$ to a collector. I suppose that ya never know though, if you keep your eyes peeled on eBay you may find a set of gages for cheap.

my .02

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, FastCat.

That was my concern - that I would never get it back together.

I am going to have to rethink this.

·
Banned
982 Posts
The Gauges do come apart but,It's not as easy as the old ones!

The old ones are better though!
The face is glass,instead of plastic!

"They Dont make Em'Like They used to!"

·
Registered
418 Posts
A buddy of mine opened up the gauges on his '90 reeeaaallllyyy easily, he used a curb
DOH!!
They were kinda hard to put back together though!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by JoeyPsychos.com:
The Gauges do come apart but,It's not as easy as the old ones!

The old ones are better though!
The face is glass,instead of plastic!

"They Dont make Em'Like They used to!"
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Those are some wild gauge faces!

So you have taken apart the older gauges, which is what I am interetsed in doing. Any pointers?

Thanks.

·
Banned
982 Posts
Be On Point My Man!!!!!!

Be Smart,and Your Fuckiin Brain!

[ 08-03-2002, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: JoeyPsychos.com ]

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Originally posted by JoeyPsychos.com:
Be On Point My Man!!!!!!

Be Smart,and Your Fuckiin Brain!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Anyone care to translate what Joey just said???

Dude, you gotta wear a mask in that paint booth.

·
Registered
50 Posts
just go on ebay any buy some new (but old) ones online they can get pretty cheap.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can open up the meatl band around the guage face. Just pry it open from the underside with a slim flat screwdriver. Just take you time though, and dont nick it up. Theres a bezel inside the glass also.

PS, while your at it, take a dremel to the drive gear. know what I mean...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts