Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys...I'm looking for a set of flatslide carbs for my 87-750. I posted in the wanted section to no avail and I would greatly appreciate anyones help in finding some...thanks.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Have you been checking Ebay? I see them there on a pretty regular basis.

[ 07-12-2002, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: suzukiltd ]

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
also check http://www.dragbike.com I see them on there quite a bit, I just sold a set of 37mm Keihin FCR's about a month ago.
Which Flatslidea are you looking for? Keihin or Mikuni? what size do you need?

Jim

[ 07-12-2002, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: 93GIXXER-6/7 ]

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure which brand or what size I want...any help in this area would be greatly appreciated. My bike is stock except for a full vance and hines supersport exhaust and a stage 3 jet kit.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If possible I would also like a set that is a direct swap without a lot of hassles or extra expense. It sure would be nice to go to super cycle weekend this year with some rip roaring flatslides under the tank!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by sho4bart:
If possible I would also like a set that is a direct swap without a lot of hassles or extra expense. It sure would be nice to go to super cycle weekend this year with some rip roaring flatslides under the tank!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Geez, I hate to be the one to say this, but if you *really* want to avoid "hassles and extra expense" leave it OEM. Don't get me wrong, I love my old air/oil-cooled rig! But honestly, hot-rodding these old beasts is nothing but "hassles and extra expense". Mine is pretty tame compared to a lot of the tricked-out machines running around this forum... but I *still* spend way more time and money on little projects and doo-dads than I ever plan to when I start them... My imagination and wants have always far exceeded my checkbook's capacity to pay for them.
...and there is *nothing* more heartbreaking than starting something like this, and running out of time and money right after you realize that it is only gonna take *more* time and money to get it running right again. I'd love to see you get the flatslides you want and get them set up and screaming down the road... I don't mean to discourage you from dreams! Don't make the mistake that a lotta people do though and start to think that it can be done on a shoestring budget... nothing is *ever* as simple or inexpensive as it looks in the beginning.

·
Registered
763 Posts
sho4bart,

Do you have to have flatslides??? Have you ever thought of just going from your OEM carbs (which should be 36mm CV's) to the 38mm's CV's that come on the 1991/1992 750's???

This would be a pretty easy swap over without having to do way too much and SPEND big $$$'s

And should also give you a few more HP's.

Just a thought. Good Luck!!! Make sure if you go with Keihins,GET HORIZONTAL ones, not Downdrafts.

JDB1371

·
Registered
124 Posts
sho4bart,
I agree with FastCat, having been there and done that. I started building the bike on a tight budget in college and now I have been out of college for 6 years and have time and money to finish it, but oh yes, I am re-doing many things that I did because I wanted to save a little money. Also, if you have a completely stock bike, you might spend your money in other ways more effectively. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I agree with Fastcat!
A friend of mine had some flatslides on his 1100. He said there was no way to adjust them. Under 6000 rpm absolutely no power and above it screaming hell.
I would keep the stock slides.

But it is up to you!

Greetz!
Lemmy69

By the way: I haven't posted for a while because I'm rather busy at the moment. Have to got to several biker meetings in Europe. Hope to get a digi-cam as soon as possible to post the pics in this forum.
Ride free and have fun!

Yours!
Lemmy69

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
FastCat
Superbike Racer

Member # 5935

1989 GSX-R 1100 (K)

posted 07-14-2002 12:58 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by sho4bart:

Geez, I hate to be the one to say this, but if you *really* want to avoid "hassles and extra expense" leave it OEM. Don't get me wrong, I love my old air/oil-cooled rig! But honestly, hot-rodding these old beasts is nothing but "hassles and extra expense". Mine is pretty tame compared to a lot of the tricked-out machines running around this forum... but I *still* spend way more time and money on little projects and doo-dads than I ever plan to when I start them... My imagination and wants have always far exceeded my checkbook's capacity to pay for them. ...and there is *nothing* more heartbreaking than starting something like this, and running out of time and money right after you realize that it is only gonna take *more* time and money to get it running right again. I'd love to see you get the flatslides you want and get them set up and screaming down the road... I don't mean to discourage you from dreams! Don't make the mistake that a lotta people do though and start to think that it can be done on a shoestring budget... nothing is *ever* as simple or inexpensive as it looks in the beginning.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ummmmm mod it I say, mod it all to hell, its fun, expensive but fun, all sensability be damned...
-Karl

·
Registered
360 Posts
Originally posted by Lemmy69:
A friend of mine had some flatslides on his 1100. He said there was no way to adjust them. Under 6000 rpm absolutely no power and above it screaming hell.
I would keep the stock slides.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have 41 keihin flatslides and you can adjust them inside out if you like. Really more adjustments then average joe can handle. They rattle at idle sounds like a bad valve. When adjusted correctly they perform flawless from idle to redline.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
I have Mikuni's on my 88 and Keihin's on my 90 and love them the only trouble is if you go to big for your engine. 36mm flatslides perform like 38mm CV's. You could run 38mm flats on a stock 1100 but it would loose alot on the low end. I have 38mm on the 88 and 39's on the 90 but neither engine is stock.
Bones

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a set of RS 36's set up center push/pull. they came off my 750 race bike when I went 955CC.
(up'ed to 38's) $325 I have pic if you like.

Rich Dauenhauer
#62 WMRRA, OMRRA #62x sTTars

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
sho4bart,
Morocycling is all about fun. If you want to do some mods GO FOR IT! I have a set of 36mm flatslides on my 1100. They are outstanding. I don't doubt what the others are saying about loss of bottom end power on their bikes, but I have experienced quite the opposite. I went with stage 3 jet kit, hindle pipe and silencer, and advanced the ignition 5 degrees. 125 SAE Horse at the rear wheel! Internally the motor is stock and has 25,000 miles on it. She pulls hard through out the entire rpm range. If you are going to put bigger carbs on for more power, that means you will be pulling in more fuel and air. Well, you have to give that spent fuel and air a way out...get a hindle on that baby. You will shave off about 20 lbs in the process. Check out e-bay. Every week flatslides pop up for sale. GOOD LUCK!!!

[ 08-15-2002, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: DevilDog ]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts