Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 86 gsxr 1100g didnt have any electricity the other day so i took it apart and found the harness is chopped up pretty bad. i have no clue what i am doing other than what my iodedict memory stores as i tear my bike apart. should i replace the entire harness? already looking for rear caliper, clutch cable, brakes,ignition rewiring ect. And im doing all this unemployed and ill lol. I didnt know where to ask but is trading allowed? I mean like trading my tach for a cable and breaks/seals, and my fairings for what not. just curious. not attempting. I thought their was a sales part in the forum but cant seem to find that nor any advice. really would appreciate anything that would lead me in the right direction. thanks https: //imgur.com/a/hLvjvpz[/url]

·
Registered
872 Posts
my 86 gsxr 1100g didnt have any electricity the other day so i took it apart and found the harness is chopped up pretty bad. i have no clue what i am doing other than what my iodedict memory stores as i tear my bike apart. should i replace the entire harness? already looking for rear caliper, clutch cable, brakes,ignition rewiring ect. And im doing all this unemployed and ill lol. I didnt know where to ask but is trading allowed? I mean like trading my tach for a cable and breaks/seals, and my fairings for what not. just curious. not attempting. I thought their was a sales part in the forum but cant seem to find that nor any advice. really would appreciate anything that would lead me in the right direction. thanks https: //imgur.com/a/hLvjvpz[/url]
seems to me like a harness replacement is your best bet if its mangled up that badly and if you don't want to go through the hassle of getting a wiring diagram and making it all right again. There is a classifieds section here, you need to pay an annual fee and get your red R in order to see it and post stuff for sale and buy stuff

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
seems to me like a harness replacement is your best bet if its mangled up that badly and if you don't want to go through the hassle of getting a wiring diagram and making it all right again. There is a classifieds section here, you need to pay an annual fee and get your red R in order to see it and post stuff for sale and buy stuff
Thanks dude, yeah Ive been looking and found one for 20$ but when i go to hook it up all the connectors im missing still wont connect lol. like the relay that keeps popping. im just lost and its driving me even more crazy,

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Dude I feel your pain,but I'm a "Pay it Forward"type,I've got a 87 1100 thats not turned a wheel since 2000 that I'm about to try and get started to sell it

Its been under a tarp in the back yard and the UK weather has not been kind to the electrics (all connections are green)but I know I'll still get it running ...

If your circuit breaker by the battery is "popping out"means you have a live going to earth and the "popping out"is the fail safe or you'd be watching your 86 self ignite,

I can help with wiring locations via Whatsapp but u need a multimeter first to find the rogue live earthing it self,

Chin UP EVERTHINGS FIXABLE ...

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,703 Posts
With carbs instead of injectors, it shouldn't be that complicated. But you'd be a lot better off with a service manual, or a wiring diagram at a minimum. If they're missing, the nylon connector bodies ought to be available from Corsa Technic or several others. But you need to be careful that you get the correct part and that may take some work to figure it out. Don't know about '86 but Sumitomo was commonly used in later years. Pictures can be very helpful - both of the old harness as you remove it and of harnesses that are offered for sale.

·
idiot
2,572 Posts
Your original issue with no power - do you have power to the ignition switch? (You need a way of testing for 12v, either a multimeter or lamp with wires attached.)

This new harness. . . if you hook up power to it but don't plug anything else in does it still blow the circuit breaker? (separate anything with bare ends so the wires don't touch). If it does then the harness is no good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
When i said the popout button relay wasnt there, i meant the previous owner chopped it and capped the wires. the only connections they have left on it are to the alternator, starter, lights, fuses, ecu and the battery. everything else is cut and open or capped. ive tested everything and im getting volatage everywhere even the ignition. just nothing when i turn it to acc or to start. as soon as i turn the key i could hear one of the relays click a few times then id start it. it would start first time. now after the tank grounded out it doesnt do anything. at all. blackneess. but im getting amperage to everythiing. i dont get it.

https://i.imgur.com/ufCIqW7.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your original issue with no power - do you have power to the ignition switch? (You need a way of testing for 12v, either a multimeter or lamp with wires attached.)

This new harness. . . if you hook up power to it but don't plug anything else in does it still blow the circuit breaker? (separate anything with bare ends so the wires don't touch). If it does then the harness is no good.
there is no circut breaker.

·
idiot
2,572 Posts
1 You need a circuit breaker.
2 You need a circuit breaker.
3 You need a circuit breaker.
4 You need a circuit breaker.
5 You need a circuit breaker.
6 You need a circuit breaker.

... tell us more about the circumstances surrounding this tank grounding incident.
... what's the relay that's popping? everyone assumes it's your circuit breaker.

7 You need a circuit breaker.
8 You need a circuit breaker.
There are reasons for having things like circuit breakers.
9 You need a circuit breaker.
10 You need a circuit breaker.

Is it fair to say the issue is actually that your bike isn't cranking over when you push the start button?

11 You need a circuit breaker.
12 You need a circuit breaker.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Sorry. This might have sounded harsher than intended. Let us know how you are getting on with this.
I thought it was funny :dunno

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it was super funny lol. and it was the turn signal relays popping. ive found out a lot about the bike and i was buying the wrong parts. so i scrapped what i was doing and wired it myself, simple pushbutton. still no circut breaker tho haha

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
it was super funny lol. and it was the turn signal relays popping. ive found out a lot about the bike and i was buying the wrong parts. so i scrapped what i was doing and wired it myself, simple pushbutton. still no circut breaker tho haha
This is super funny ... motorcycle with no circuit breaker

cycle fire.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts