Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gixxer Boys and Girls!

Just looking for new sparkplugs to my 1999 Hayabusa and GSXR 1000 K8 and saw one thing, the Denso Iridium Racing spark plugs.
Why are these Iridium spark plugs so much more expensive then lets say Denso Iridium Power or NGK Laser Iridium? Even on eBay.

I tried to search both YouTube and Google for some reviews but didn't find any review that compare these plugs to other iridium plugs.

Have you guys any experience with these?

My bikes are Street bikes and I do track days sometimes so no Turbo or NOS.

Best Regards
Marko

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
They are not going to give you any performance advantage....

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are not going to give you any performance advantage....
I didn't expect them to give me any more noticeable performance, just want to give the bike the best plugs money can buy.
I did came across some information about them and that is that they can take twice the heat than the Denso Iridium Power:nerd:

Best Regards
Marko

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
It's your money,have at it then :thumbup

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,844 Posts
I didn't expect them to give me any more noticeable performance, just want to give the bike the best plugs money can buy.
I did came across some information about them and that is that they can take twice the heat than the Denso Iridium Power:nerd:

Best Regards
Marko
Then just buy the OEM ones.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The OEM factory Plugs on the k7-k8 are actually very good items, I would stick to that. Just because it is more expensive, it does not mean they are better. Plugs are a very particular item, must be very close/exactly whats required to get the desired results. learn to read plugs and then choose the correct heat range as per service manual instructions.

The oem k7-k8 was the first time suzuki (in the litre bikes) went to iridium, and if my memory serves me right, they poke 1m further down into the combustion chamber than the previous OEM prescribed coppers. The k7-k8 are a special plug 0.9mm gap, and 0.6mm electrode tip.

I assume (assume nothing right...) you are talking about the denso race plugs with the 0.6mm gap and 0.4mm tip, if you use them let me know what you think. As I said earlier best to give it what the factory recommend. I use the k7-8 plug in my k5 only because they use the same coil packs as the newer models, and just read the plugs...

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The OEM factory Plugs on the k7-k8 are actually very good items, I would stick to that. Just because it is more expensive, it does not mean they are better. Plugs are a very particular item, must be very close/exactly whats required to get the desired results. learn to read plugs and then choose the correct heat range as per service manual instructions.

The oem k7-k8 was the first time suzuki (in the litre bikes) went to iridium, and if my memory serves me right, they poke 1m further down into the combustion chamber than the previous OEM prescribed coppers. The k7-k8 are a special plug 0.9mm gap, and 0.6mm electrode tip.

I assume (assume nothing right...) you are talking about the denso race plugs with the 0.6mm gap and 0.4mm tip, if you use them let me know what you think. As I said earlier best to give it what the factory recommend. I use the k7-8 plug in my k5 only because they use the same coil packs as the newer models, and just read the plugs...

So what can happened if I use the Denso Racing Iridium with smaller gap and tip?
I mean I don't see anything bad with that or maybe I'm wrong?:monkeyface

Best Regards
Marko

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
So what can happened if I use the Denso Racing Iridium with smaller gap and tip?

Best Regards
Marko
Whats wrong with the quality of the OEM plugs?? You're engines are stock from what you have posted,so why spend money on parts that will show no performance improvement whatsoever?

You posted in the extreme performance sub-forum,so changing to fancy sparkplugs on a stock engine application is hardly an extreme performance modification...unless I'm missing something here?

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,844 Posts

Best Regards
Marko
If you don't know what changing spark plugs does, you shouldn't be changing them. If you don't know what gap size and tip length does, you DEFINITELY shouldn't be touching them.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,584 Posts
I think that the high price reflects things like they use a full platinum ground electrode instead of platinum tipped. That and low volume means higher prices. Beware of what you're getting into.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okey guys thanks for helping me understand this a little better! :)

Will be going with OEM Plugs after all.

//Marko

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
MarkoM
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing