Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Re: Definition of \"Oversteer\" and \"heavy steering\"

It sounds like your bike is set too nose heavy geometry wise. It is oversteering in the corners (heading to the inside of the turn).

I had EXACTLY the same problem after having my suspension reworked front and rear. The forks settled lower on their new springs, which lowered the front too much, making the bike feel like it wanted to "tuck" in the corners.

I ended up maxxing out the preload, which still gave me 36-38mm sag!! The quick fix was to raise the yokes up the forks so they sat flush with the top of the top bolt, raising the front of the bike. This returned the neutral feeling you are looking for. Slightly firmer springs were the correct and final solution....

BTW. My understanding of heavy steering is the opposite to oversteer....the bike being hard to turn and slow steering??

·
Registered
146 Posts
Re: Definition of \"Oversteer\" and \"heavy steering\"

So then oversteer is caused from the front end being too low, and heavy steering is caused from the opposite....then whats understeer?
Understeer is when the bike won't hold a tight line, and runs wide to the outside of the turn when on the gas.

This is down to the rear squatting too much under power, taking the weight off the front wheel and reducing the steering effectiveness.

If you think of the steering as "fast" or "slow", rather than "heavy" or "light" it makes more sense.

In summary, fast steering (quick and easy to flick onto it's side) and oversteer (running to the inside of the turn) will be caused by over-steep geometry (too much weight over the front).

Slow steering (slow to turn) and understeer (running wide on the power) will be caused by too much rearward bias.

What you felt as "heavy" steering when trying to stand the bike up a bit mid-corner, was you having to fight the bike's natural urge to "pull" to the inside due to what I think might be over steep geometry.

I hope you get it sorted soon, it was a couple of very frustrating months for me trying to suss out the problem, especially after having spent out to have the shock and forks "improved"!! Was worth it eventually though........

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.