Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2017 GSX-R 750
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello I'm a new member here and don't have a lot of experience with motorcycles or autos in general, but not a complete beginner.

So, I bought my 2017 GSX-R 750 when I was in the US about 2 years ago. I have barely 900 miles on (couldn't ride for a while due to medical reasons).
Then I graduated in Dec and shipped my bike overseas to my home country. During shipping the battery died (obviously). My electrical engineer brother told me it's okay to jump start it with a car as long as the car is not turned on. So we went out and did that. It started immediately but the second we removed the jumper cables the engine sounded like it was struggling (I'm not sure if there was enough gas in the tank, but when I checked there was a little bit). It kept struggling for another minute or two then the bike died. Then we jump started it again and the second we removed the jumper cables the engine stopped.
The next day I went to the Suzuki dealership in town to get a new battery but they were out of stock due to covid19 conditions. I have 3 main questions:

1. Is it normal for the engine to stop because the battery is dead? Or could this be an indication for another hidden problem? (The bike is practically in mint condition)
2. What kind of battery specs should I look for (since the dealer doesn't have any in-stock)? I was thinking of going to the Honda dealership and maybe find a battery similar to mine?
3. Should I change the oil and filter? Since it took 4 months for bike to be shipped it didn't run even once. And my last oil change was at 600 miles (currently at around 900 miles).

That's all, thank you in advance!
And please spare no details when answering my questions. As I am not a native-English speaker and a novice at mechanics. I have general understanding of how everything works, but don't have any work experience with automobiles.

·
That’s Mister Moderator To You ....
7,935 Posts
As I am not a native-English speaker.....
You use complete sentences, punctuation, paragraphs and I don't have a migraine after reading your post. You also made your first post in the correct subforum so you're WAY ahead of many native English speakers out here.

My reply is generic and not specific to your bike. If a bike's battery is dead and you jump it, the moment you remove the jumper cables, the engine is not getting enough current, as the engine at idle will not produce sufficient current to sustain smooth running.

If you repeat that exercise with a new battery, odds are you'll be all-set.

·
Registered
2017 GSX-R 750
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about the oil & filter change? Do you think it's necessary?
Also, does it matter what kind of battery I need as long as the dimensions fit and it's 12V 10 Ah?

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Google your battery model. Defiantly recommend Lithium Lightweight battery One third lighter. Also, always disconnect black lead from battery, when leaving bike off the road, for more than a few weeks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts