Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever hear of de vol rear shocks? are they any good? Where =can you get parts, etc?

------------------
'89 750---Factory ignition advancer and shift kit, Barnett Kevlar Clutch and springs, Goodridge SS brake lines.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I have not heard of them, but I will do some asking around tomorrow.

------------------

"Some people make things happen, some watch things happen, while others wonder what happened!"
'86 1100G
2 - '87 1100H
'88 1100J
And a few Harleys

·
Registered
55 Posts
I assume I have the stock 88 750 shock on mine. I also am 240lbs (on the way down) and think a shock would do me some good. What's the typical upgrade for me?

I'm about to get some brake pads, fork seals, chain/sprockets, and install the Metz I got yesterday.

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stupid:
I assume I have the stock 88 750 shock on mine. I also am 240lbs (on the way down) and think a shock would do me some good. What's the typical upgrade for me?

I'm about to get some brake pads, fork seals, chain/sprockets, and install the Metz I got yesterday.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey guy! The shock would definitely do you some good. However, it would bring to life real quick the fact that the front fork springs are sacked for you. Basically, you're looking at a package, since you want, eventually, to tune the front and rear so that the front has finished with the bump before the rear hits it. At your weight, a definite 1.0kg set of springs. You can get them fairly cheap from Lindemann Enterprises.
As to your shock, shit, it really depends on your budget.

Is this bike a keeper? Or are you going to sell it over the next year or two? If you want to hang onto it, then its safe to 'amortise' the expense of the higher end shocks, such as Ohlins, Fox, White Power etc. Otherwise, you might want to check out Works Performance or Koni (their low end).

Again, with your weight, you'll be looking at anywhere from a 14 - 17kg spring. Maybe talk to Jim Lindemann and see what he advises. Don't forget to calc your total weight, ie with leathers, tank bag, whatever.

Since your changing your seals etc, put in some nice synthetic damper rod fork fluid from someone like Motul. Give 7.5 wt a try. Also, if you don't have access to a proper chemical cleaning sink, just buy some extra of the fork fluid and pour it in,shake her around and pour out. Way better than just pouring in clean fork fluid when dirty shit is trapped, clinging to stuff inside.

Good luck. Keep anything you change, then when you flog, you can return to normal and sell the other separately or use on the next bike.

------------------
Fat Bastard's bike: '93 GSXR1100wp CDN version w/ thoroughly ridiculous # of mods :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts