Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I was removing my data tool and where the wiring enters the loom where I couldn’t reach I (like a total knob) decided to snip the wiring before it entered the main bike loom.

This obviously to me now was a total dick move! The electrics all still work but the fuel pump does not kick in now and the bike won’t start.

I’m a total novice as you would have guessed and have rang a couple of local garages but none want to touch it. I’ll post pics in the morn to show where I’ve cut and I was thinking of buying a 2nd hand loom off eBay (around £80) and take the old one off to replace with eBay one (like a reset) but I’m out of my depth with it.

But if it’s a case off maybe resetting a couple of wires that have been spliced? Then I’ll try that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. the weather atm is gorgeous and I’m really missing riding which is all down to me been stupid.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,636 Posts
Well at least you're acknowledging your folly.

'I was removing my data tool and where the wiring enters the loom where I couldn’t reach I (like a total knob) decided to snip the wiring before it entered the main bike loom. ... The electrics all still work but the fuel pump does not kick in now and the bike won’t start."

This doesn't make that much sense. In my book the fuel pump is part of the electrics. We need some good pics. The colors of the cut wires would help. You're probably going to need a new harness and installing it is not a trivial matter, particularly for a novice. Beware of any ebay harness. It is very common for them to be flawed with cut leads, etc.

P.S. Download the service manual if you haven't yet. The wiring diagram is at the end.

·
7,636 Posts
I can see the starter motor so it looks like you've cut up the wire bundle that runs from the ECM to the fuse box (mainly). That's the very heart of the electrical wiring. It's possible to individually repair the wires and re-wrap the bundle. But it's always going to be a source of concern/problems. Furthermore the repairs will produce a bulge at a point where things are tight. I'm thinking that you should replace the harness. The best news that I can offer is that those wires are so deep in the harness that they're likely to be intact on a chopped up ebay harness (no guarantee, look carefully). So, with some effort, you could make one good harness out of two bad ones. It would be advisable to get someone involved who knows something about wiring. You'll probably need a new roll of the black vinyl wrapping tape.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea im getting all sorts of varied prices for new harnesses/looms from £400 to nearly £900 bloody joke. Anyway 2nd hand like i say nothing over £100

·
Registered
159 Posts
I can see the starter motor so it looks like you've cut up the wire bundle that runs from the ECM to the fuse box (mainly). That's the very heart of the electrical wiring. It's possible to individually repair the wires and re-wrap the bundle. But it's always going to be a source of concern/problems. Furthermore the repairs will produce a bulge at a point where things are tight. I'm thinking that you should replace the harness. The best news that I can offer is that those wires are so deep in the harness that they're likely to be intact on a chopped up ebay harness (no guarantee, look carefully). So, with some effort, you could make one good harness out of two bad ones. It would be advisable to get someone involved who knows something about wiring. You'll probably need a new roll of the black vinyl wrapping tape.
something like this.. I wouldn't mess with electrical tape... It may take more time, but I would use a soldering iron and shrink tubing on each individual wire. Then bundle it back up with the electrical tape if need be.

·
7,636 Posts
^I was referring to the bundle's outer wrap, something like this. You could unwrap some of yours to figure out what width Suzuki uses. Not sure about Suzuki but it commonly is just knotted at the loose end.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just throwing my non-electrical knowledge suggestion and stating probably the obvious, but are ALL fuses intact or the pump relay??? Could anything have fried when snipping the cables???

·
7,636 Posts
A little hard to tell but I think I see O/W (fuel pump relay), Y/G (starter solenoid), B (tipover sensor?), B/W (chassis ground from R/R), and R (12 V from R/R) being cut and/or spliced. I'm particularly concerned about the latter two as they're heavier gauge. Time to replace.

Nice pic of the distribution blocks for sensors power and sensors ground.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts