Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a GSX-R 750K1 and I've heard by going to a higher viscosity oil in the damper will make it stiffer. Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Yep
#10 oil is the standard. I used a 50/50 mix of 10 and 15......so 12.5# and it feels good. About like a click stiffer on my adjustable ones.

15# oil would be okay for the track, bit stiff for the street. the 12.5 works great.

Best way to do it is pull the little star head drain bolt......pump it a few times , the old oil will squirt across the room out. Then actuall totally submerge the damper in the new oil in a pan and pump it a good 20-30 times. It will bleed all the air out. Then start the screw back in while submerged.

whipe off good....put on , enjoy
Ive done 4 of them this way.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Its suspension oil, fork oil that you use. You will have to buy it by the pint, or quart.

#10 weight is what is in it now. So buy something stiffer. As i said i mixed 10 and 15 to come up with 12.5. 50/50 mix.

Should be able to get it at any dealer. Few bucks a quart.

·
Registered
951 Posts
No problem. Just make sure you get all the air out. You will see what i mean about pumping it back and forth once you get playing with it.

You can actually pour a little of the oil out of the quart container and then just cut the top off so its a big old hole......and submerge the damper end with the hole in and pump away......you will see the bubbles float up. When you see no more......your done

·
Registered
360 Posts
I changed my damper fluid yesterday. I had some 5# Amsoil Shock Therapy, laying around, and decided to try it. At first, I didn't think it would be stiff enough. To my surprise, it firmed up nicely, compared to the way it reacted when I first pulled it off and pumped it. We'll see. Maybe have to go to a 10#.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts