Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, i just switched from bellsouth dsl to a cable service. now i'm trying to setup my router, but when i hook it up it won't connect (well i get the limited or no connectivity). the lights on the router show that it is recieving internet. i've tried to go to the router setup page, but it won't even go there. any help?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, i've tried reseting it, and unplugging it, and restarting the computer. it is linksys, but i don't know what you mean by 'linksys BF4'?

·
Registered
534 Posts
If is the notorious BF4 ... something model, throw it away.

Seriously, can you bypass the router for a bit and hook your puter directly to the modem just to make sure you do have internet.

If resetting the router and a firmware update does not get you going ... I don't know.

·
Registered
649 Posts
beeboy said:

Seriously, can you bypass the router for a bit and hook your puter directly to the modem just to make sure you do have internet.
i would not do this.

unless you would like your computer to catch aids and slowly die, dont do it either.

what do you mean by wont connect?

it may sound redundant, but if all powers up check the following:

1. you said you recently switched isp's .. verify that the service is on and active.

2. ensure that the network cable from the cable modem is plugged into the WAN port of the router. on mine the port is actually labled WAN. the plug and connector should look like a large telephone plug and jack.

3. ensure that the network cable from the computer is plugged into one of the numbered ports on the back of the router.. if you have serveral available, try starting with a port number > 2.. on some routers the 1st port is reserved for uplink and changes function with a toggle switch.. just try a higher numbered port if ones available on your router.

my router and network card both have LED lights on them that turn on when alls well.. yours might too.

4. check that your network card is installed and working properly. if youre running windows, you should see a blinking computer in your windows system tray on the start bar where the clock is.

set it to dhcp if its working.

5. open a browser and go to the ip address of your router.

by default, mine is http://192.168.0.1/

if all that works, then check the filters on the router,

have fun,

·
Premium Member
7,715 Posts
Check out Circuit City/Best Buy/Comp USA .. they all seem to have the Linksys WRT54G on sale all the time now.. I picked up mine for $55 cash and it had a $20 rebate from linksys on it I just got in the mail. Nice router, and does the wireless stuff !

·
Registered
534 Posts
Why not hookup the computer directly to the modem? If he has a firewall, he is fine. I assume he is running XP which has a firewall built in. Most home users do not have routers.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i do have the modem hooked directly up to the computer right now.

1. yes the service is running, it works perfectly when connected directly to the computer.

2. yes, i made sure the ethernet cord is running from the modem to the internet in port on the router

3. the computer is wired into the 2nd port, and my xbox is ran into the 3rd port on the router

4. yes the connection is enabled, the two little computer's are there, however it has a yellow triangle on it with an exclamation (sp?) mark in it and says that there is 'limited or no connection'

5. when i do open my browser and try to go to my ip address to setup my router config, i get a timed out message.

·
Registered
649 Posts
beeboy said:
Why not hookup the computer directly to the modem? If he has a firewall, he is fine. I assume he is running XP which has a firewall built in. Most home users do not have routers.
this would be one reason http://www.scatmania.org/archives/2004/12/01/honeypot/

im not gonna assume that his machine is patched and up to date, as most windows machines arent. a software firewall running on your desktop machine provides a false sense of security. you should always have a buffer between your machine and the internet. if a hacker/worm can hit yer desktop machine, even with the XP firewall, youre exposed.

the linksys routers are good and cheap.. i have a dl-624. if you determine its your router, you cant really go wrong with a new llinksys.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Custom Concepts said:
i5. when i do open my browser and try to go to my ip address to setup my router config, i get a timed out message.
whats the ip address your trying? can you ping that address?

try clicking on start->run. type cmd and press enter. then type ipconfig /all and press enter. paste the output of that.

try some new network cables too.. funny things can happen if they get a good kink.

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
eno xard said:
beeboy said:
this would be one reason http://www.scatmania.org/archives/2004/12/01/honeypot/

im not gonna assume that his machine is patched and up to date, as most windows machines arent. a software firewall running on your desktop machine provides a false sense of security. you should always have a buffer between your machine and the internet. if a hacker/worm can hit yer desktop machine, even with the XP firewall, youre exposed.

the linksys routers are good and cheap.. i have a dl-624. if you determine its your router, you cant really go wrong with a new llinksys.
oh please, hooking a PC up to the "RAW INFECTED INTERNET" wont do anything to his PC for a few min.

·
Registered
649 Posts
mtmra70 said:
oh please, hooking a PC up to the "RAW INFECTED INTERNET" wont do anything to his PC for a few min.
k. but i wouldnt do it.

the cable modem should have lights that communicate the status of the connecton.

·
Premium Member
1,418 Posts
I've also noticed that on my old linksys some of the cables wouldn't work and some would. It depends on if they were straight-through or crossover. I don't recall what style worked just remember one didn't.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mmkay, how the hell do i post a pic. haven't tried to since we got the new software update and didn't realize that the image uploader isn't there anymore.

·
Registered
964 Posts
So when you type in http://192.168.1.100 you can't get to the web editor? Can you telnet into your router? I'm not to familiar with Linsys routers. And you've tried power cycling both the router and modem? As in unplug the router and modem then wait 10 min then plug back in the modem first, wait, then plug back in the router? You said you originally had DSL first. So that means you used PPPoE where you had to log into your service. Have you disabled that? As far as I know most cable internet does not require this.

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
If your Using DHCP then try this.

'ipconfig /release'
'ipconfig /renew'
'ipconfig /all'

Then check out your Ip address settings. Do you get an IP address? If not, then I'd suspect something with the router/cabling/ or NIC.

I would have no fear in directly plugging your PC to the cable modem, and doing the release and renew, and check to see if you have an IP and if you can get out to sites. If you have access then its your router. If your still having issues call your ISP.

Can you still not get to the Web editor on the Linksys box?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts