Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here we go again, looks like I just keep finding problems on this bike. One of my carbs leaks pretty bad. I get a puddle underneath my bike within minutes. It'll drip and then all of a sudden just start pouring out. Then it'll stop again for a minute or so then start again.

Its the second carb in from the right hand side. Its leaking from a little spout under the floatbowl. I think that's what you call it. Sorry, I don't know the first thing about carbs. I've always driven FI cars and this is my first bike.
I tried tightening the screw but it looks like someone already tried and its almost stripped.

I managed to loosen it with a pair of pliers and tightened it as much as I could but it still leaks.

I took my air filter off (I have the four single K&Ns) and the slide is wet. Now I know this shouldn't be because none of the other ones are.

What should I do?

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
it sounds to me like the leak isn't coming from the float bowl drain (spout), but that the float valve in that carb is stuck open, causing fuel to flow continuously.....it'll soak the slide, and when it flows out, it will naturally leak down towards and drip down off the lowest point of the carb - which is the float bowl drain.

which carbs do you have on your bike? the stock 29mm flatslides?

you'll need to pull the carbs and remove the float bowl. either there is a piece of debris stuck in the float valve causing it to stick open, or the valve needle is worn and needs to be replaced. spray some aerosol carb cleaner through the float valve to dislodge anything that might be jamming it open, and see if that helps. if not, the valve will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
434 Posts
jeff is probably on the right track have a very carefull look at the needle stock they are very pointed and sharp if rounded off they won"t seal properly also if you look at the design there is an inherent flaw, when you tighten down the screw holding the needle and seat in place it tilts the needle off of vertical, and float level being very critical to running right a solution is to find some later cv's that have a horeshoe shaped steel retainer to hold the needle in bend the tangs down a bit and slot the hole and this will hold the needle vertical

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Hey if you have the 29mm carbs still I will sell you my 36mm cv's they are in great shape
-Karl

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I have the pods for the filters, I would toss them in no charge.

-Karl

·
Registered
139 Posts
KJ's idea of replacing the entire bank of carbs can save a lot of time/headaches, but personally I would hold out for the 36mm flats.

29mm flats are easier to tune with pods, than the 36mm CV's in my experience. Plus you would need to get 36mm carbs boots, and new K&N pods for the oversize carbs...

Just me sayin, not knocking the idea at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts