Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
D218\'s wear out fast?

Ive got 2500 miles on the stock 218's.. They grip great, dont really have much to compare with in terms of feedback.. But the rear is damn near the wear bars. Seems a little pre-mature.. anyone else have this problem?

I do 80% twistes 20% commuting.. so I know I wear out the middle faster. The edges still have plenty of rubber (no, not chicken strips...), is that because I dont accelerate hard in corners or what? I HATE wearing the middle out first.. I always roll on nomatter what the lean angle, but I leave strong accel for vertical. Any ideas?

I run 35/35 btw

·
Registered
380 Posts
Re: D218\'s wear out fast?

I have 4400 miles on the stockers

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

It all depends on where you are at (temp), what the roads are like, and how you ride. Aggressive riding will eat up tires fast! (but it is so fun.......)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts

I do 80% twistes 20% commuting.. so I know I wear out the middle faster
That doesnt make sense. If 80% of your riding is twisties, the middle should not be worn out that much more than the sides.

·
Registered
122 Posts

I only got 2200 miles on my DUnlop D218's before I had to change. I do not do burnouts, only ride hard in corners. I switched to the Michelin Pilot Power and really love them.

·
Registered
25 Posts

i got 2200 on mine and im pretty much ready for a new one. i do a lot of commuting decent amount of twisties, and quite a few burnouts.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I do 80% twistes 20% commuting.. so I know I wear out the middle faster
That doesnt make sense. If 80% of your riding is twisties, the middle should not be worn out that much more than the sides.
Well, I meant that I know I will wear out the middle faster if I commute on my bike (my commute is about 100 miles).. But I do alot more riding in the twistes. The most wear is a wide(ish) band down the middle of the tire, Its not stepped very much if at all. The middle 3 inches is pretty well worn (just a little tiny bit from the wear bars).. Then the tread depth tapers up till the edge of the tire.

It has been warmer (70-80) on the days I ride. And I feel my tires after I get off the bike and they arent overheating or blistered. Sometimes they feel too cold actually.

I used to have a ninja500 with biasply tires and they stepped badly. Do radial tires wear more evenly? Or am I imagining it?

I havent noticed any handling problems, although the bike doesent feel 'nuetral' like it did with fresh tires. A bit more squirmy leaning over..

Im probably thinking about it too much, but 2500 miles seems like a ripoff for tires.

Time for some michelins.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts

Well, I would think you should get much better mileage than 2500 miles esp. since you keep your tires at 35psi (kinda high for hard riding). Tires tend not to turn in as readily as they wear since the profile flattens out on them, so if anything, they should feel more stable at the expense of turn-in quickness when they become well-worn.

·
Registered
48 Posts

I'm at over 6000 miles on the stock 218's. I hate them but they won't wear out
I do 95% commuting, 5% twisties so the middle of my rear tire is getting toward the wearbars finally....time for some powers or 014's now

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Well, I would think you should get much better mileage than 2500 miles esp. since you keep your tires at 35psi (kinda high for hard riding). Tires tend not to turn in as readily as they wear since the profile flattens out on them, so if anything, they should feel more stable at the expense of turn-in quickness when they become well-worn.
I would think so too... The suggested pressure is 36 psi..

The only thing Im worried about is the bike becoming unstable when leaned over. I experienced this with the ninja. Once you get over the 'step' the bike tended to wobble easily, probably from reduced traction.

·
Registered
9,633 Posts

My stock rear tire lasted me 8000 miles. That's with a lot of burning out too.
Holy fuk
I got 2500 miles on my stock tire
Only a hand full of burnouts and I wore it well past the wear marks
Switched to PP's and love them
I ride them 4X as hard as the stockers with a mix of twisties commmuting and your occasional 1 mile stand up
They have 2500 miles on them and look maybe half worn
No burnouts though

·
Registered
9,633 Posts

Spectre600
This isn't a ninja

·
Registered
235 Posts

Ive got 2500 miles on the stock 218's.. They grip great, dont really have much to compare with in terms of feedback.. But the rear is damn near the wear bars. Seems a little pre-mature.. anyone else have this problem?

I do 80% twistes 20% commuting.. so I know I wear out the middle faster. The edges still have plenty of rubber (no, not chicken strips...), is that because I dont accelerate hard in corners or what? I HATE wearing the middle out first.. I always roll on nomatter what the lean angle, but I leave strong accel for vertical. Any ideas?

I run 35/35 btw
I got 250 kms from my 218s. They sucked so bad I had them spooned off at the earliest opportunity. I had them burned because I felt an obligation to protect my fellow motorcyclists. Been whislting a happy tune with Michelin Pilot Powers ever since...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Spectre600
This isn't a ninja
Thank GOD for that

Are you implying I wont get the same stability issues on worn tires?

Looks like im gonna get some pilots.. Do most dealerships have them in stock?

·
Registered
670 Posts

Yea most dealerships have them in stock but they'll charge you an arm and a leg. I wouldn't pay any more than 230 for those tires (both front and back).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts