Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im having a problem torqueing ape studs to 15lbsd without sinking them to low in the case to grab with head bolt.first off i bought a 1127 kit and a half to install in 1052 motor and all looked fine,same length as stock.difference being that the stock stud has a roll at the top of the bottom thread that stops it from going to far into the case and the ape stud does not so it sinks to far into the case.called ape and asked about it
and they said to put a ball bearing in the hole to take up slack but i blew the bottom out of the thread well when i tried to torque it down, my question is can loctite the stud to depth. i know someone here has delt
with this. can i get some help please

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,619 Posts
https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/62427
Use a thread chaser to clean the threads, not a tap, they remove too much material. Blow the hole out and use brake clean etc to ensure the area is free of contaminants.
Use a Loctite Primer / Activator, in addition to the thread locker, to increase the bond strength.
I'd feel fairly confident after all that, that you'll be able to torque the head down with good results...follow the sequence and do it in stages.

Are you using a quality torque wrench, that has recently been calibrated? It's tough to get consistent results, at lower torque values with cheap ones.

Good luck!

-Scott

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Remember it’s a stud not a bolt. It works different then a bolt. It’s only asking for 15 ft.lbs correct.? I would say you can be safe with threadlock and let it set up.. what is the final torque spec? I redid my Ford 6.0 with ARP studs and they say clearly “finger tight”.. it’s the nut on the other end that does all the work keeping it together.. My2Cents

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info guys,got some primer and im going to clean theroughly.my machinist said i could even go with green lock tight but im going to stay with red

1 - 4 of 4 Posts